LC Walking Weekend (2009 - 2017)

Everything about our biennial Walking Weekends in just one record-long thread!
Yorkshire Lad

Re: Just when I climbed this whole mountainside... (Wales 2009)

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi Bernadine
I knew I could rely on you to post back . I will hold you to your promise of posting once a week until Kracow . We are all well but Jean goes into hospital on Wednesday for a joint replaced in her foot so there is a bit of anxiety hovering over the house at the moment although I am sure she will be fine . Got to rush to work now but will post again soon
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:57 pm

philip please pass on my best wishes to jean.....and i shall look forward to you posting to tell us that the operation was a success

in the meantime…..something I learnt on my recent trip to the edge of christendom…aka the east yorkshire coast…was that according to none other than the venerable bede himself the first recorded english poet, caedmon, was from those very strange and dangerous lands…he was apparently a monk who did his monking in whitby abbey in the times of st hilda…. so philip’s allegation that all his fellow yorkshiremen are uncultured illiterate tight-fisted bolshie coal miners with a penchant for breakfast time troublemaking doesn’t quite tell the whole story of that land and it's people …history thanks to st bede tells us that yorkshire is the cradle of english poetry and it’s people the true upholders of that noble art…….looking at the portait of caedom in st mary’s church in whitby (see below) I had a strange feeling that I had met him or at least one of his poet ancestors somewhere before…perhaps in another life……or maybe even in a pub in barmouth…….ta ken
phil.jpg
phil.jpg (149.02 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:17 pm

Is that an egg whisk he's holding ?
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:58 pm

Excellent photo and story Ken. Yes I think poetry must be in the veins of Yorkshire men if Phils words are anything to go by

Good vibes and thoughts to you on wednesday Jean. I am sure it will all go well for you and Phil will do all the housework and cooking for you till you get back to full health.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:54 pm

Jean, does this mean that both you and David Beckham will miss the World Cup?

Phil can now practice his culinary skills with a book I would heartily recommend......."A Thousand And One Things To Do With An Egg." The 2nd Edition includes 'a hundred and one expletives to use while cooking an egg.'

Jean, take it easy and remember that the best thing you can do for a friend/partner/spouse, is to let them do something for you. :)
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Paula

Post by Paula » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:55 pm

Lots of love to Jean Phil. xx
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Diane

Post by Diane » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:22 pm

Rooting for you Jean x. Here is a quiz question for you:

Who said: "Truly, thou art damn'd, like an ill roasted egg, all on one side."

a. Shakespeare in As You Like It, or

b. The landlady at the Sandpiper in Take It or Leave It
Judy

Post by Judy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:16 pm

Phil, please give my love to Jean, as well xxxx
margaret

Post by margaret » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:56 pm

Hope it goes well Jean,

Take care,
Margaret
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:42 am

Jean would like to thank everyone for their messages of support . I will report back on her progress as soon as she comes out of hospital . It is heartwarming to know that friends are thinking about you in difficult circumstances .
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:43 pm

Jean,
Anne & I will be thinking of you. We hope it all goes well and that we can find some small hills to climb in Krakow with you and your poet husband.

Ken, loved the ancient Yorkshire poet!

Diane, the lady at the Sandpiper emailed us to let us know that we could now order our eggs "over easy" or "sunnyside up." I guess they can't afford to lose anymore business.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Byron

Post by Byron » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:05 pm

The honourable Mr Joseph Way writed, 'the lady at the Sandpiper emailed us to let us know that we could now order our eggs "over easy" or "sunnyside up."

Does that mean she 'e(gg)-mailed' you? Sorry, I'm having a bit of a queer day today. That means 'strange' by the way. :shock:
Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:34 pm

I'm sending my best
wishes well meant
this post is first class
submit and I've sent
all wishes for Jean
(and one for our Phil)
lots of love
and plenty goodwill.

Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
covey

Post by covey » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:57 pm

Stop standing on that womans foot Phil, it's bad enough she nearly had to carry you up the mountain in Wales :) :) :)
mylitta

Post by mylitta » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:22 am

Thinking of you, Jean. I'm now in my ninth week in plaster so I know what it is like. I'm sure you will be very well looked after.

Return to “Walking Weekends (2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019)”