New live album: Can't Forget

Vicomte

Re: New live album: Can't Forget

Post by Vicomte »

Alan, for us it is Julie's by a country mile ;-)
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Kush

Post by Kush »

I have heard parts of this album on youtube. It sounds super awesome. Never Gave nobody trouble sounds like he has been playing with Buddy Guy for years and years - very authentic ! Hope he releases an album of blues - original songs and maybe 2-3 covers of Buddy Guy, Son Seals, Junior Wells, BB King something along those lines. He got the voice and rhythm for it.
icecreamtruck

Post by icecreamtruck »

This is such a FUN record. The performances are exceptional. Songs From The Road was good but I've never fallen for it. I Can't Forget has the warmth of spirit and the performances and the mix that I had hoped to find on Songs from the Road. His vocals might be way better in 12 and 13 than they were for the 2008-10 tours. Or it's just a great mix. I wish Dublin had this mix.

Listening to Dublin I can hear that same vocal change but the mix there allows the vocals to languish. The new record, I Can't Forget gives great detail and depth to Leonard's voice. I love this album.
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

The mix is definitely better than Dublin but I still think Songs From The Road is the best of the recent live albums.
phillip

Post by phillip »

I have got my CD its great another awesome live album I love it :D
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

The Booklet is 'hidden' in the inner sleeve and has a great picture of Leonard said to have been taken on his 80th Birthday . The picture contains mixed messages about smoking (and ' no smoking' )

The album sounds great , and the performances are superb whether or not they originated in soundchecks but - like Popular Problems- it is rather short .

Some of us , where possible, have hung around the periphery of sound checks , and a privileged few have been allowed in .Clearly Leonard's soundchecks are superb events in themselves , often featuring songs we hardly ever get to hear in the actual concerts .Should he tour again how about selling tickets to the 'sound checks' too , if only via the forum !? Particularly superb version of Joan of Arc...

I LOVE this album .
Last edited by cohenadmirer on Tue May 12, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
B4real

Post by B4real »

I love the variety and casual atmosphere of this album. There is a track for various moods! The sound is great. If I was forced to pick a favourite it would be Joan Of Arc, closely followed by Night Comes On.

Now if they would just bring out Can't Forget disc 2 :)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35825&start=45#p352181
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
stephencharlton

Post by stephencharlton »

Only an olde cohenite will appreciate my comment:
Got in from a rare Monday night curry, sat outside with headphones on a balmy may evening.
Joan of arc from the new can't forget album, what a lovely experience, absolutely sublime. Love it !
Thank you Leonard. Brilliant
2008 Manchester
London O2 x3
2009 Berlin
2010 Poland
2012 Belgium
2013 London 02
jerry

Post by jerry »

I love the fact that this sounds like a studio album and not your typical live album sound.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

Got mine today and love it. It's a pity Live in Dublin wasn't mixed like it.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
merton

Post by merton »

jdhayes wrote:Got mine today and love it. It's a pity Live in Dublin wasn't mixed like it
And I would add Live in London. Both sound saccharine in comparison to Can't Forget and Songs from the Road.
Now to hear and see Leonard one more time in concert(or maybe twice)

All the best,
merton
vickiwoodyard

Post by vickiwoodyard »

Yes, I hope he tours again in 2016. The audiences are certainly there if he chooses to do so. Heck, we would be ecstatic.
merton

Post by merton »

Hi,

Yes, a great collection and a great sound. Field Commander Cohen - listening once more but with heightened attentiveness.
"and every kind of freedom done, then oh my love, oh my love, oh my love"

What a voice , what a violin :)

All the best,
merton
Clementine

Can't Forget

Post by Clementine »

I'm just listening to the whole of 'Can't Forget' for the first time. OMG - I'm in love - even if it took my kids an hour to work out how to download it for me with my limited 'media' skills!

'Live in Dublin' was great, but having been in the first row for the very last show of the Grand Tour at Vector Arena, Auckland on 21 December 2013 (sorry - I know I've spoken of this dozens of times but it was a true highlight in my humble life!) this new album is so different, cool and delightful!

Field Commander Cohen, Choices, and of course the beloved Joan of Arc. I once visited the northern French town that was purported to be her base and I can still see and feel the sight and smell of it all so clearly.

Thank you Leonard, this is yet another triumph!!!

xx Louise

Return to “2015 Release: Can't Forget”