Re: New live album: Can't Forget

Post by lizzytysh »

8)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Liz, I must say it, your will your strenght and your skills which lead you to victory no matter what is the battle, how you manage to always have the last word, or the last attitude - the last everything, that does force the admiration.

L'amour est un tournoi
Où tombent tour à tour
Les guerriers maladroits
noyés dans la bravoure

- Richard Desjardins

My motivations come from another source, this is not because I do not want to play with you guys (hello G.!), it is just that war games bored me to death. Pun intended.

This being said, I may find interesting to look the dialogue between Octopussy and the Joker.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
B4real

Post by B4real »

I've just received this email LC alert - hope it's OK to post it.

I haven't listened yet but it is the whole Can't Forget album in full.

Exclusive: Stream Leonard Cohen’s ‘Can’t Forget’
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... orget.html
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Thanks for sharing, Bev!
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Leonard Cohen - Can't Forget: A Souvenir of the Grand Tour
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhjxu2VTN3g

The entire album!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Goldin wrote:Leonard Cohen - Can't Forget: A Souvenir of the Grand Tour

The entire album!
Thank you, Roman.
I have just listened to Stages and even though I was at the Sydney Opera House concert where the initial portion was performed and recorded, I do not recall the "jazzed up" version of Tower of Song at the end of the track.
I presume the 2 bits were joined in the studio.
Does anyone know if that version of Tower of Song is a sound check one, or from another concert?
My guess is sound check as I can hear instruments that were not normally used in the concert versions.
It may be revealed when I get my CD next week.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
astranger

Post by astranger »

AlanM wrote:
Goldin wrote:Leonard Cohen - Can't Forget: A Souvenir of the Grand Tour

The entire album!
Thank you, Roman.
I have just listened to Stages and even though I was at the Sydney Opera House concert where the initial portion was performed and recorded, I do not recall the "jazzed up" version of Tower of Song at the end of the track.
I presume the 2 bits were joined in the studio.
Does anyone know if that version of Tower of Song is a sound check one, or from another concert?
My guess is sound check as I can hear instruments that were not normally used in the concert versions.
It may be revealed when I get my CD next week.

Alan
The jazzy TOS is from a soundcheck from Hamburg, I think
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

On my first listen to the album as a whole and I must say it's a very coherent piece. Well worth investing time in.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

I am not used to this yet. Having access to the whole material before it goes on the market. I always have a first move of scupules to listen to an album for which I did not pay before. It's not like we could not have this access before, but the way was different. Less easy. Thanks for the info! I'll check this!
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
mutti

Post by mutti »

I may be alone in this but I have not listened to any of the songs yet and am waiting until May 12th to pick up my copy of 'Can't Forget'.
I want the pleasure of having it in my hands and listening to the whole album at once.
I also am disappointed (to put it mildly) in the posting of the wonderful 'photo' on Facebook. I wish there had been a 'spoiler alert' but then it would have still been hard to avoid. I found this with Popular Problems when the photo of Leonard shining his shoes was released ahead of time. They are brilliant photos but it did take away from the surprise one usually has when unwrapping the CD on your own. So seeing this yesterday although I love it did take away from the surprise element. I think its just the way things are nowadays. I don't know why people do this. If its their ego or need to have found something first or what I personally don't like it. But then again that is just my opinion.
It seems most people don't mind and that is clearly evident. Its all ok as its done now and its a great idea to have that photo for us to see.
Bottom line I am so excited for Tuesday to arrive! Aren't we lucky to have so much new music from Leonard in the last years.
Leslie 8)
Last edited by mutti on Fri May 08, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

It's inevitable that it's going to happen when the release date is spread out from Thursday to Tuesday around the world and the packaging contains such a "gem". All I can advise is that you stay away from Facebook for the few days before release if you feel so strongly about "spoilers". Personally I couldn't care less.

Wendy
astranger

Post by astranger »

I'm guessing this is the picture Chris Bynum said was worth the price of the collection. I also wish I'd seen it upon opening the CD but it is a fantastic picture and just whets my appetite for Tuesday
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Such a true masterpiece!

... Stages :!:
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

SPOILER ALERT!
Changed lyrics in verse 3 of Field Commander Cohen
Ah, lover come and lie with me, if my lover is who you are, Oh, love come and lie with me, if my lover is who you really are,
And be your sweetest self awhile until I ask for more, my child. And be your sweetest self at first, till we come see the deeper thirst
Then let the other selves be wrong, yeah, let them manifest and come Then go to where the selves are from, summon them and let them come
Till every taste is on the tongue, Till love is pierced and love is hung,
Till love is pierced and love is hung, And every taste is on the tongue,
And every kind of freedom done, then oh, And every kind of freedom done, then oh,
Oh my love, oh my love, oh my love, Oh my love, oh my love, oh my love,
Oh my love, oh my love, oh my love. Oh my love, oh my love, oh my love.

Lines 4 & 5 are swapped (not unusual).

If anything, Leonard's voice is even deeper on this track than other recent recordings - love it!!!
I'd love to know whether Leonard's alternative lyrics were considered and discarded before the time of the initial recordings, or if they have developed since in his wonderful mysterious mind.

I also love Hattie's vocals on Joan of Arc; I'd hate to have to choose between her version, Julie's and Jennifer's. They are all fabulous.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I received my 'Can't Forget' CD today, and am enjoying it very much. I especially loved 'Joan of Arc' . This album is so different from either a studio recording, or a live concert. It is so natural, without any obvious studio 'mechanics'. (not sure if this is the correct choice of wording). Great Idea to use the 'sound-checks'.
Last edited by Cheshire gal on Mon May 11, 2015 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Return to “2015 Release: Can't Forget”