Ad

Anne

Ad

Post by Anne »

I was watching tv last night, on an american, not a canadian tv station, and an ad came up for the store Old Navy. The music is the song Blue Alert. It was quite a surprise. They are selling blue jeans.
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Ad

Post by jarkko »

It was the cover recorded by Madeleine Peyroux, right?
Kurt W

Post by Kurt W »

You can check out the ad from the home page at Old Navy's web site (http://www.oldnavy.com click on "CHECK OUT OUR TV AD"). The older I get, the more I realize that the successful marketing folks are surely having (some) fun.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Great visuals on the ad, and I believe it's Madeleine, Jarkko... it sounds the way I remember her singing it. I'm surprized that they didn't give the title more audio exposure. As it's fading, you hear "blue... [some ad verbiage]... alert" [end of ad at its most faded point with "alert." Not discounting the value of subliminial impact, but I'd have wanted to give the name greater audio prominence... and done the fade-out on the beginning of the next phrase. The ad has its subleties, yet remains fairly blatant... and "Blue Alert" fits it well.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Anne

Post by Anne »

Jarkko, I think it is Madeleine Peyroux. The ad has shown up on Canadian tv stations, too.
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

I was also very surprised when I walked into a Boston Pizza in Calgary a couple of weeks ago and saw Leonard's face on a Create your own Pasta (Tuesday night) poster. I almost yelled at the waiter--what is Leonard doing up there? He looked at me blankly--obviously had no idea who I was referring to. Ok well why not I had to ask myself. Maybe it is a spiritual message to me to do some creative work?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Create your own pasta :lol: !?!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Paula

Post by Paula »

How strange to see his face in a pizza place. What was he doing was it just his face or was he eating a pizza :lol:
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

st theresa wrote:I was also very surprised when I walked into a Boston Pizza in Calgary a couple of weeks ago and saw Leonard's face on a Create your own Pasta (Tuesday night) poster. I almost yelled at the waiter--what is Leonard doing up there? He looked at me blankly--obviously had no idea who I was referring to. Ok well why not I had to ask myself. Maybe it is a spiritual message to me to do some creative work?
:shock:

St. Theresa, Any chance you can get your hands on a copy of the ad?? I'd love to see it (or even get a copy myself) :wink:
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
dick

Post by dick »

I agree with Eric St.T

Could you take a photo of the ad?

Thanks in any case

Dick
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

To answer all the questions, I wish I had been thinking at the time, but am now 350km from the particular Boston Pizza where the poster was hanging. There were other stars--I think David Bowie hung next to Leonard in some kind of theme restaurant. If some Calgary resident sees this, and can get out to the BP just past Midnapore, close to the CO-OP shopping center, they might be able to take a pic. No Paula he wasn't eating pizza --the poster is one I have seen before in blue outline. Next time I see something like that I will be sure to take a pic.--Just typed in Leonard Cohen and Boston Pizza and this link came up. http://www.fest-of-ale.bc.ca/foodfun06.html
raggletagglegypsy

Post by raggletagglegypsy »

Create your own pasta poster -'Oh take this linguine from my tongue' :D
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

You will probably all think i'm mad but I found the Boston Pizza where the 'Leonard Does Pizza' posters are displayed. A couple of phone calls from a very bored person (me) later and here it is:

235 Shawville Blvd., SE
Calgary, AB
T2Y 3H9
Telephone - (403) 256-6999
Fax - (403) 254-6999

The posters are still up.I asked (because I am just that cheeky) and no, they would not send me a poster. Nor could they send an image :roll: . But they were extremely nice about it. The very nice lady even gave me the names of two advertising agencies they deal with but at this stage I ran out of steam.

Am I mad? :|
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

hahah birdonawire
thanks for checking that out --I had begun to think that this was another of my leonard dreams. :lol: I was there with my mother in law who misidentified a stranger as her brother in law Archie. She wasn't too sure who I was for that matter; life is stranger than fiction sometimes.
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

You said it! The girl I spoke with in the restaurant didn't even know it was Leonard Cohen in the picture. She had to ask her manager who it was!!! :roll: :lol:

Return to “Blue Alert”