Anjani to appear on BBC 2's Later.....programme

Red Poppy

Re: Anjani to appear on BBC 2's Later.....programme

Post by Red Poppy »

Anyawnee - now that was an underwhelming performance!
Actually, the more I see her the more I think she lacks emotion.
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

I was a bit disappointed as well. Firstly, because she only got to do 1 song while all others got to do 2 or 3. And secondly, I wasn't too sure if I liked the arrangement of the song and I felt it was a bit rushed.

But anyway, good for her to get onto shows like this and get known.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

At first I had no 'real' expectations that Anjani could or would make a 'big' name for herself. 'Thanks for the Dance' was a nice little tune, but overall, I find her to be bland, unoriginal and out of her depth. Her finest hours were spent backing Leonard on DH, IMHO. There is no turning back. She tried, and I'm afraid, she'll go down with the rest of Leonard's backups.

Jennifer had real, obvious talent, and unfortunately, she too, didn't quite make it. The problem with some of these ladies' productions seems to be in the videos. It's a video world. If one wants to make a real impact, there is the dire need for financial backing from your record company. It doesn't seem as though Anjani has yet earned her stripes. I doubt she will.

Leonard himself has had a tough time in this commercial world. He has relied on what is mostly a 'cult-like' audience. (that's us, folks). Genius that he is, he has never struck that that secret chord with the record buying public, except, perhaps, in his early career with Suzanne and Bird on ...

It's a dog eat dog world out there, and it's the Beyonces and Britneys and Christina Auguleiras (who is an amazing singer, btw), who are racking up the numbers. Now, how can anyone compete with that? A sad and unfortunate side to the music biz. It eats people alive, then spits them right back out.

~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

I am glad that there are singers around that don't just go for commercial success, but do what they love and produce quality music (and IMHO the 'general public' don't really want quality otherwise there wouldn't be so much bubble gum music out there). Of course you need to make a living as an artist, but you don't have to sell your soul just to be a commercial success.

There are enough Britney's or whoever and other wannabes out there. So I think it's refreshing to see the likes of Anjani, who make music because they want to and because they can identify with their work and not because they can make a million in a week if they wiggle their bum a stupid music video.
Christine

Post by Christine »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6iNRLEWTDNM

Here's the link..... from an mcknobnose (I just like saying that!).

Ya gotta love Jools.
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

[quote="osmachar"]I.
There are enough Britney's or whoever and other wannabes out there. So I think it's refreshing to see the likes of Anjani, who make music because they want to and because they can identify with their work and not because they can make a million in a week if they wiggle their bum a stupid music video.[/quote]

True but the fact is that Anjani has a good voice but seems to lack the depth that say Leonard or other have. It's not a wman thing, it's just that there seems to be very little personality in her performances
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Thanks Red Poppy for kind of 'distilling' what it was that I was trying to say. I certainly wouldn't want to see Anjani shake her bum in a video :roll: but I feel a similar dispassion in her performances.

The Britneys, Beyonces and all the rest were def. bad examples. Yet, there are many that have done quite well, while not selling their souls. Diana Krall is one who is a low-keyed performer, but still highly popular. Madeleine Peyroux, Norah Jones, etc. have 'something' the pubic liked - no booty shaking that I'm aware of. Diana Krall, I know, was singing and playing the songs she loved since she was a child. She was just doing what she loved, and what came naturally, and in the end, for whatever reason, it payed off. I'm not saying that financial gain must be the driving force behind any entertainer's desire to perform. But, if one chooses music to 'pay the bills', they best be prepared to either go hungry, or give the public what they want. Within reason, of course. There is a fine line, but there is also a middle ground. There are many examples of those who stood by their work, despite dire criticism, only to 'win' in the end. I hope this is the case with Anjani, but I just don't 'feel' any emotion in her performances.

I'm not trying to shove my opinion down anyone one's throat, it's just my opinion. One of many.

Cheers.
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

I still like Anjani. Sha has a lovely unpretentious voice and comes across as a nice person as well.

I guess it must be difficult for her as well to live up to the expectation. Also, as she was struggeling for years to get some recognition as a singer in her own right, it must be hard for her now to feel 100% confident and to convey this on stage.
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Take your point Osmachar.
Just that the songs are good - a step above almost all and and way above most - it's something in the performance. Perhaps the advantage of the LC lyrics is proving too much weight.
I think this is where FB Raincoat worked - the performances shook themselves clearof the LC connection and Jennifer Warnes made them her own (with mixed results in my opinion but still her own.)
Notice Jarkko, we're all being very polite and mannerly!!!!!
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

Regarding the performances, I must say I wasn't very fussed about the Jools Holland show performance. But her song was totally drowned by The White Stripes and the Kaiser Chiefs, whose songs were not all to my taste (to stay polite :lol: )
Young dr. Freud

Post by Young dr. Freud »

The problem with Anjani is Leonard. Ever since he devastated her with his criticism when she was working on her original rendition of Undertow. She sang her heart out and felt she had done the best she had ever done in her life and he told her quite coldly to "sing it like she meant it." Or words to that effect. She cried. After which, her voice moved from her throat down to her heart. Where it's been ever since. Not a good anatomical fit. So thanks, Leonard.

YdF
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

Well, we'll never know what happened....
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

Young dr. Freud wrote:After which, her voice moved from her throat down to her heart. Where it's been ever since. Not a good anatomical fit. So thanks, Leonard.
Exactly. Now the poor wman (as the irish say) is handicapped by a voice stuck in the heart. Where can she go from there? Would Leonard wish such a thing on himself?
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

She sang her heart out and felt she had done the best she had ever done in her life and he told her quite coldly to "sing it like she meant it." Or words to that effect.
It's true that we may never know what happened, but she has said in interview that Leonard's crit. of her performance was devastating. Therefore, even Leonard, her biggest supporter, could see her lack of emotion even then. I really, truly hope she does well, I loved her on DH - but not everyone was cut out to be a solo artist. And yes, as someone said, it must be unnerving to bear the weight of Leonard's words. It takes a very strong performer take Leonard's words and make them 'their own'.
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

Anjani just needs to be given a chance and a bit of time to become comfortable being the star on a stage (and not 'hiding' in the background).

Return to “Blue Alert”