Anjani's Summer 2007 Tour Schedule

Red Poppy

Re: Anjani's Summer 2007 Tour Schedule

Post by Red Poppy »

Not my point at all, Lizzy. My point is that as a songwriter her work wouldn't, in my opinion, be in the league of (in no paticular order) Simon, Browne, Young, Mitchell, Collins, Baez, Seeger. McLean, Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, Dylan, Hanley .......................etc etc
She is a fine singer and I like Blue Alert, with the exceptioon of the title track and The Mist.
I simply don't think, lyrically or musically, that she is first rate or close to.

The way I see your point about being in the floodlight is that she is a capable singer of Cohen songs - but there are numerous others who have done that to equal and greater effect - certainly Jennifer Warnes for one. That makes her a singer not a songwriter of quality.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I don't know what the so-called 'learning curve' was for those people; however, they have been in their careers for a long time and, as I recall, didn't function 'independently' in their efforts, as Anjani has until now... with two albums to her credit until she enjoyed her collaboration with Leonard. Giving me a list of well-known people doesn't suffice as proof that her lyrics aren't substantive. She writes phenomenal melodies that are highly memorable, and she's an exemplary musician with an exquisite voice. I feel she's a [self-professed] late bloomer and first rate. We are at loggerheads on this and that's fine. I know I won't be changing my mind.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

lizzytysh wrote:..... I feel she's a [self-professed] late bloomer ........
in German you say that good things take their time...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, that's so true, Osmachar. In the U.S., we say "Good things take time," the very same idea, only one word shorter, omitting "their" ... there's also, related to this discussion, "Good things are worth waiting for," and Anjani's albums came later in her life than those of most singer-songwriters, and she's getting better all the time 8) .

Interesting, the differences, Red Poppy, in a discussion elsewhere on the Forum, your feelings about "The Mist" are, "I think Anjani's version lacks a tune, lacks feeling and lacks passion but, most of all the tune!"

Whereas, Manna said, "The music of it reminded me of Cat Stevens. Kind of, I don't know what... jangly? I'll listen again and see if I can be more specific. Not the words, not the singing, just the music;" and then reported back with, "I listened pretty hard to both versions - TLNT & Mist. I think the tune Anjani sings is similar to the tune Leonard sings, only more musical. Anjani is a dreamer and a loser in love, hence she does it as a waltz, while Leonard has it as more of a square. I like TLNT better today than when I first wrote about it, but I still prefer Anjani's version."

She prefers Anjani's version, finding it more musical; and you don't like it at all, feeling it "lacks a tune, lacks feeling, and lacks passion, but most of all the tune!" You like Leonard's only. She feels a 'dreamy' aspect in it and says Anjani does it as a waltz. As we all know, waltzes have a tune; and, for me, they certainly have feeling and their passion, though subdued and restrained, is still powerful, and moves couples in embrace, in wide sweeping motion all around huge, ballroom floors.

Perspectives surely vary.

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~ Oscar Wilde
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

lizzytysh wrote:.... In the U.S., we say "Good things take time," the very same idea, only one word shorter, omitting "their" ... there's also, related to this discussion, "Good things are worth waiting for," .....
That's actually what I meant - the 'their' was my own addition :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Ah :D ! There ya go... we nailed it :) .

My understanding is also that Anjani's area of study was jazz, and so she focused more on music than on lyrics; so her albums with lyrics coming later in her life makes sense from that perspective.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Lizzy,
I think we are looking at this lyrics questions from differing perspectives.

As you say: "Giving me a list of well-known people doesn't suffice as proof that her lyrics aren't substantive."

I suppose I'm interested in hearing which lyrics in the earlier pair of albums you do find substantive?
Red Poppy
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, Red Poppy, I agree that we are probably looking at the issue differently. I don't care to spend a thread that's devoted to Anjani's Summer 2007 tour schedule, where the postings should celebrate or at least relate to her schedule... rather than an exercise of debate about the nature and quality of her lyrics written at least 7 years ago... with one of the two in debate undermining and ridiculing them. If you want to start another thread, elsewhere, I'll engage.

I looked up the word substantive to be sure I was using it as I was intending, and I was. Still am. The dictionary said: "expressing existence; real; of real, independent importance." Another dictionary said: "having independent significance; meaningful or significant."

The writing of Dylan Thomas is visibly dense and [not surprisingly] substantive. The writing of Bashu/Basho is visually simple and [deceptively] substantive. I'm not saying that Anjani is a Dylan Thomas or a Bashu/Basho. I'm saying that Anjani is Anjani, and her lyrics are substantive.

I'm happy to agree to disagree. I'm also happy to continue in a discussion elsewhere.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

[quote="lizzytysh"] I don't care to spend a thread that's devoted to Anjani's Summer 2007 tour schedule, where the postings should celebrate or at least relate to her schedule... with one of the two in debate undermining and ridiculing them. "

It's not my intention to ridicule anyone's lyrics but I stand by my assertion that they are not what you claim them to be and not at all in the first division of lyric writing. So I'll happily debate that with you elsewhere.

Nor have I any problem with the meaning of the word substantive - I actually knew what it meant but thank you for the two definitions.

"The writing of Dylan Thomas is visibly dense and [not surprisingly] substantive."
Not sure I get the immediate connection between dense ( I disagree that Thomas is at all dense but there you go) and substantive. A lot of dense writing is anything but substantive, the denseness often being a cover for the lack of substance!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Red Poppy ~

Yesterday, I was happy to go either way with this; today, I don't feel that way. You do want to debate this, and I would rather just enjoy what I enjoy about Anjani's lyrics. I've always felt that, overall, Leonard's writing is superior to Bob Dylan's; still, I don't go to Bob Dylan's site to debate that, and I don't debate it here, either, lining one lyric up against another and debating its merits vs. lack thereof. I know this is Leonard's site not Anjani's, but a thread devoted to her tour is close enough to suffice.

You think Joe Dolan is terrific, and I've followed the links to watch him perform; our tastes are clearly different in more ways than one. I didn't take issue with you about it, when you lauded him as a performer; but just let it go with a feeling of "Oh, well... " However, when someone diminishes the work of someone whose work I do like, I'll say something. That doesn't mean I'm going to enter a debate about it, though. I was ready to discuss this yesterday, however; but as I said, today I feel differently, anyway. Agreeing to disagree feels the better way.

I understood when I used Dylan Thomas as an example that you might say what you did say. I initially used James Joyce, but then opted for someone who wrote poetry, so my analogy would be more consistent. I understand, too, that dense writing can be used with the intent to obfuscate. Since density was what I needed to make my particular point, though, I had to nod at that pitfall and keep going. I double-checked, for my own purposes, my own use of the word substantive.

The only thing I would like to suggest at this point is that you put on "Anjani" and set it to replay and listen to it repeatedly, as you go about doing whatever else you're doing. Note the variety of styles which she commands. The songs don't go from one to the next all sounding the same and each one is refined, notably its own, and done exceedingly well. Listen to the messages within the lyrics of her songs... the themes of trust, patience, acceptance, and gratitude; compassion for the homeless; unrelenting love and support for another person; the value of family and friends; and more. She speaks to these beautifully.

Regards,
Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Lizzy,
I think my irony was lost somewhere in mid-Atlantic. :shock:
The Joe Dolan references have been meant in an ironic and light-hearted way.
No, Joe is not an icon, honestly - and I think my friends in England, Scotland, Wales & Ireland realised that1 8)
No debate is fine by me.
Life is short.
Red Poppy
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Red Poppy ~

Well, the water level did rise a bit on this side awhile back, but I didn't know what to account it to... thanks for clarifying the cause.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Sherry

Post by Sherry »

Hi,

I've been off the board for awhile. I'm just wondering if any plans have been put in
place for a meetup in Dublin on the 27th?

Sherry
damellon

Post by damellon »

Hi Sherry
Yes we're intending to get together but no venue or time chosen yet. When do you begin your travels? Will be in touch.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
Sherry

Post by Sherry »

Hi Damellon,

I will be arriving Friday afternoon (27th). If you want, you can PM me once the
venue and time have been worked out. I will be staying near the bus/train station
downtown.

I look forward to meeting you.

Sherry

Return to “Blue Alert”