Blue Alert Hits Hollywood

Gypsy_Wife

Blue Alert Hits Hollywood

Post by Gypsy_Wife »

We, my daughter Ruth and I, went to the Hotel Cafe this evening. The venue for this event was odd to say the least. The Web site said they opened at 7 p.m., but when we arrived at 7:02 the very few tables were filled with people eating, so the majority of the customers got to stand. I would guess that more than 80% of the audience stood.

Anjani is amazing, when she is on the stage she owns it! Her voice is incredable, when she sang the entire room was silent. The crowd was there to hear her, even though there were a few folks holding old 33s hoping for an auograph I am sure. She is really beautiful and as classy as Leonard. Her voice is just perfect, wow what an instrument, she was even able to mask the sirens which went by on the street a couple of times during her show.

She sang most of the songs from the album, "The Golden Gate" is haunting. In one song she has used versus from "Closing Time" which were discarded by the author. The song, "Crazy to Love You," has phrases Ruth and I knew were written by Leonard Cohen..."running after you with my braids and my blouse all undone". The encore song was, "Thanks for the Dance". Then she was joined on the stage by Leonard who sang a duet with her, the words to the song were from the book of Ruth, I am glad I was able to share that with my Ruth.

There was a point during the early part of the show when a young woman was attempting to get through the crowd next to me, I turned and saw her face, I am certain it was Lorca. She left early in the show and I didn't get a chance to confirm that though.

After the show was over we waited near the exit and had the opportunity to see them. The albums were graciously signed, and I told him that I was the person who met with him and presented him with the "Birthday Book" low those many years ago. He took my hand and said, "That was a lovely afternoon," he is truly a class act. I introduced him to Ruth and my sophisticated, self-assured daughter became a babbling dunderhead. He still has a magic with the ladies.

The evening was truly memorable, and Anjani is truly a gift to the music world.
Last edited by Gypsy_Wife on Tue May 15, 2007 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here's to the few
who forgive what you do
and the fewer who don't even care
Christine

Post by Christine »

I was also at the Hotel Cafe tonight. It was a special evening. The setting was intimate and extremely dark....if you were 40, you looked 30....I mean, that dark (must go there more often!), and the bar poured some good stiff drinks. My friend, Lester, arrived early and sent a text while he was in the queue that Anjani and Leonard had just pulled up...... there was some hollering going on in our car when we got that, I can tell you!

Anjani and the masterful musicians who'd only been together about 3 weeks were simply excellent. But after about 4 songs, I was ready for more. And while you could hear the great range of Anjani's voice and the promise of what she is capable of (not to mention her incredible keyboard playing), except for Gypsy's Wife, where she and the other musicians let loose a little, the restraint they played and sang with left me wanting them to throw all caution to the wind and break away from it. I'm sure it's awfully hard to pull back like that and it doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it; I absolutely did. Anjani has a very special presence, she is special... but I wanted to hear everything she can do.....

I went with 4 friends........ 2 of them absolutely loved everything about the show and thought Anjani was amazing (one's a musician). Two of us felt they could've let a whole lot more loose.

Heather Leather, our photographer for the evening, took some videos of Anjani....and also of Leonard and Anjani singing "Whither Thou Goest" together (the encore). Those will follow when HL figures out how to send the videos. Meanwhile, here is one pic HL took:

Leonard really was the high point for me and it seems the crowd. And I admire Anjani's supreme confidence in knowing and understanding that. He looked fantastic, by the way. And his voice sounded strong. Perfect timing and intonation. And he's still so bloody handsome!
Last edited by Christine on Sat May 12, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Gypsey, you're right. Golden Gate was Anjani's show stopper! Was superb.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for your reports, Gypsey Wife and Christine. Maybe because I've listened so much to Blue Alert, I didn't have that desire for more of what Anjani's capable of vocally or musically. I was very pleased that the mood was true to that of the album. I loved its remaining unbroken and, feeling mesmerized by that, I wanted more; except my more was more songs being sung by Anjani. Seeing her sing Live was an enhancement of listening to the album. I'm with your two friends who loved everything. Perhaps, you'll hear more of Anjani's capabilities [of which it's so clear there are many] on their next album. I'm so happy for you, Christine, that you got to see Leonard :D 8) :D . The photo is so close... did you get to meet him, as well :) ? Thanks for the great photo of Leonard's profile. It remarkably resembles one I have of him from the mid-seventies.

Gypsey Wife... The club arrangements left a bit to be desired, didn't they? Had they made it known [like Joe's Pub did] that you could reserve for dinner and, thereby, keep your same table for the show? I wouldn't have minded standing, had that been the only way, but it was much nicer to be able to sit. I'm glad that apparently most people didn't miss 1/2 hour of the show itself, with the time change! It sounds like the 7:00 should have been changed, to 6:30, as well. We had that same pin-drop silence in New York. I was so glad for it and obviously, so too was Anjani, as she commented on it. Such lovely words for you from him regarding your time with Leonard, so long ago. I'm so happy for you that you were able to meet him, again. As you say, class act. Your Ruth connection... such a gift for your daughter. Priceless. Same for your description of your same, transformed daughter :lol: .

Thanks for your reports :D .

~ Lizzy

P.S. Were either of you [Gypsey Wife/Christine] able to meet up with any Forum members there?
Last edited by lizzytysh on Sat May 12, 2007 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
dick

Post by dick »

Great reports Val and Christine - Many thanks!

Any other celeb spottings? Heard that David Mamet might be there.

Of course anyone else pales compared to Anjani and Leonard!
Gypsy_Wife

Post by Gypsy_Wife »

I saw Lian Lunson, other than that not really anyone I recognized. Then again, as Christine mentioned it was really, really dark; everyone looked fabulous.

Anjani is quite gifted and I too would like to see her in a bit larger venu where she could tear the placce up. Given her work on "Hallelujah" I am sure she could do that easily. She also commented on and thanked the audience for their attentiveness at this performance.

I took pictures, but am not sure how they came out, they do not allow flash and has been said over and over, it was really dark.
Here's to the few
who forgive what you do
and the fewer who don't even care
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi Lizzy, yep, I love that shot. It was as he was walking to the stage to join Anjani so he came right past me. And he was movin' fast! My friend Mon's the blond behind him so she's thrilled about it.

Didn't get to meet them..... they were doing a meet and greet of some sort but you needed an armband to get in.

Didn't see any celebs, Dick. Didn't meet any Forum members either. Hopefully next time......

BTW, one of the musicians did tell me they were hoping to be in Europe in July.....
Mark A. Murphy

Thanks for the memories

Post by Mark A. Murphy »

I'm so happy to read the accounts of Anjani's performance and the details of Leonard's appearance. The close-up photo of Leonard is lovely. Love the beard. I will have to wait and hope that Leonard and Anjani come to England soon.

I once knew a guy that saw Leonard perform at the Isle of Wight concert in 1970. It was a real treat listening to him talking about Leonard.
"Everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it." Sylvia Plath

Return to “Blue Alert”