No DVD in the European edition of Blue Alert (?)

jarkko
Site Admin

No DVD in the European edition of Blue Alert (?)

Post by jarkko »

Several reports received from UK friends indicate that the new European edition of Blue Alert (with the new cover design) does NOT have the bonus DVD.

Amazon UK advertises the new edition with no DVD at
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Alert-Anja ... 244&sr=8-2
On this page they say that there is just 1 disc in the jewel case.

At the same time Amazon US advertises the new edition with complete 2 disc details:
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Alert-Anjani ... 553&sr=8-2

The US edition has been released by Sony Legacy while the European edition comes from Sony/BMG.

We have asked for more information & confirmation.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Thanks Jarkko, but there are still complications...

http://www.amazon.com is advertsing a version of the CD for $9.97 that apparently has a sixteen track DVD, and a more expensive import version of the CD ($25.99) that has no DVD.

http://www.amazon.co.uk are advertising a version of the CD for £10.99 that has a three track DVD alongside a version for £8.99 that has no DVD

(the original version of the CD is also being promoted).

Both HMV and Fopp in the UK are selling the version without the DVD.

So be careful when ordering folks! Love to all, John E
John Etherington

I've just heard from http://www.amazon.com to say that they are looking into the matter.
John Etherington

Just heard from Amazon.com to say that they realise this all needs clarifying, and they will pass the information on to those responsible. They've also assured me that I will receive a 16 track DVD (I wonder if this means that they'll have to pay Anjani to film another 13 tracks?!).
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I have received information that several versions of the new special edition have been released. The cheapest one has no DVD (this means that the only change is the cover art) . Then there are two versions with aDVD, one with just three video tracks and another one with a lot more. It is a bit unclear which version or versions should be available in Europe.

Has ANY OF YOU seen this new edition (new cover photo) WITH the bonus DVD in shops in Europe??

I ask our members to check with the local music store (or local, national online music shop) which version(s) they stock, and tell us the results (don't forget to include the city/country!).

Here is the "old" edition. It will be also useful to hear if only this one is available locally.

liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Jarkko

Yesterday the HMV and Virgin stores in Liverpool only had the original cd with the new cover with no dvd content.

Also today the Manchester HMV and Fopp stores had only the original cd with the new cover and once again with no dvd content.

I asked the counter staff in both the Liverpool and Manchester HMV shops whether they would be having the dvd version in stock.

After consulting their screens they told me that looking at the HMV order list of new releases for the month of May they couldn't see any other versions of Blue Alert that that were on order.

So it looks like here in the North West of England that none of the dvd versions are going to be available in the shops for at least a while, if at all.

Ta Ken
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

We have received the following information:
The DVD version is available in Europe. However, there are various scenarios depending on the market.

France came out with the original version, based on the initial production of a French translation version.

Norway and Poland went early on release, and did a “running change” once product was available.

The U.K. went with the single disc only initially, feeling that the price point of the DVD version too much for the market until they built demand.
Tim

Post by Tim »

a heartfelt 'thanks, Jarkko' for chasing-up and providing this information.

and a sarcastic 'thanks, Sony' for the mix-up! how are they going to build up demand for the DVD by selling a CD without it? surely all the people who'd pay more for a DVD edition are those people who'd want to be the first to buy the CD? (not me though, I already have the North American version of the CD, and have no desire to pay again just to see 3 videos).

Tim
John Etherington

The DVD

I've just played the DVD from the first time - purchased from http://www.amazon.com and it's clearly the same as the one now available in Europe via http://www.amazon.co.uk (that is - The film "The Making of Blue Alert" plus bonus videos "The Mist" and "Thanks for the Dance"). Anyway, it's wonderful + 100 per cent worth the second purchase (you also get the beautful fold out cover and booklet). There's lots of Leonard in the
DVD, and Anjani live is exquisite in appropriately elegant surroundings.
Love to all, John E
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

A serious question - is the attraction of Anjani, to those who express that attraction here, her voice, her songwriting, her body or her association with LC?
Young dr. Freud

Post by Young dr. Freud »

Of course it's the association with LC. No one on this forum waxed ecstactic ad nauseum about Anjani's beauty, singing voice, or previous albums until the great love affair was made public.

YdF
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Love affair was made public before, in Anjani's interview for her CD Sacred Names, which I ordered only because she said its production was helped by LC (and the cover art drawing is made by him).

I have some of CDs from Leonard's band members (incl. even first Anjani's), and I can't say I ever listened to them after first or second time.

Blue Alert is, at least for me, not about "the connection with LC", at least not in that way. That album has Leonard's lyrics, has been produced by him and made under his supervision.

If Cohen recorded or wrote album for anybody else, I'd also go for it, as it's Leonard Cohen writing and producing the whole album for another artist.

I.e. were Blue Alert and Half the Perfect World recorded only by Madeleine Peyroux, I wouldn't care, I'd put the songs in my "other works" file and probably forget about it. But if Leonard Cohen writes and produces album for another person (be it his companion), that's totally different story.

Re "ad nauseum", I always loved 1985 bootlegs because of great Cohen-Anjani duets, particularly when she sung J. Warnes parts from Various Positions songs.
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

So, you reckon it's the cohen connection, Tom.
It could be anyone if te LC connection were there.
And YdF agrees.
So are we all agreed it has little to do with talent and much to do with association?????? :wink:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I've enjoyed Anjani, Julie, and Perla, each in association with Leonard's tours.

I became aware of Julie's and Perla's other work after I saw and met them at the New York Event.

I enjoyed and understood the sentiments and humour in Anjani's article "The Key of C" regarding her coming to and interacting with Leonard, each as a musician. I became aware of Anjani's other work after her participation in Leonard's most recent albums, as well as learning of her personal relationship with Leonard, which I began to 'suspect' as a result of her entry in the New York Event booklet. I love her album "The Sacred Names" and have commented on that previously. Unfortunately, the alignment of time did not allow me to do that prior to becoming aware of their relationship.

Leonard has commented how Anjani's voice dropped from her throat to her heart. I hear this, too, in Blue Alert... she's coming from a different place. I heard much to be appreciated when I listened to "Blue Alert." I witnessed even more to be appreciated when I saw her sing Live in New York.

As with any other singer who is developing in their craft, it's normal for them to progress. For those of us who love "Blue Alert" [since not everyone does], we have no choice but to express our feelings about it inside of, yet not necessarily related to, the larger context of Anjani's and Leonard's relationship. Some will frame what we say as strictly relating to the outside borders. Others will understand that we are speaking in terms of what we're hearing and appreciating, regardless of how it came into being. People will frame and reframe their own perspectives and we have no choice or control in how they do that. We can only speak honestly for ourselves. For doubters, seeing Anjani perform Live would probably be the greatest tool for understanding all of this.

In the meantime, I would be interested to know who of those musicians who appreciate Leonard's work, would not be interested in a collaboration with him [such as Anjani has been privileged to enjoy and that Leonard has been privileged to enjoy the results of] because there would be people who would say that Leonard 'overshadowed' them. I recognized it in my first listening to Blue Alert that Leonard and Anjani both come to the table with full plates. When I saw Anjani Live, I saw that her plate is overflowing.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

Red Poppy wrote:A serious question - is the attraction of Anjani, to those who express that attraction here, her voice, her songwriting, her body or her association with LC?
For me - her voice.

Return to “Blue Alert”