Anjani gets fantastic review

Geoffrey

Anjani gets fantastic review

Post by Geoffrey »

Dagbladet (Norway) Tuesday 27th March 2007
[Translated by Sum Wun Nyce]

Blue Alert by Anjani
CD reviewed by Fredrik Wandrup

Most people have heard the American vocalist Anjani Thomas sing, but not necessarily via her two earlier solo albums 'Anjani' (2000) and 'The Sacred Names' (2001). She was actually on the original recording of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah'. She also played keyboards on Cohen's 1985 tour, and sang on his albums 'I'm Your Man', 'The Future' and 'Dear Heather'. So close is she to the Canadian singer and poet that she has been allowed to hunt through his notebooks for lyrics. The result is this powerfully atmospheric collection. Anjani and Cohen are credited with every one of these simple and yet stylishly beautiful songs. Anjani's piano-playing accompanies her voice on these 'stripped-down' arrangements that are co-produced by Cohen and Ed Sanders. Her voice is everything; near, deep, absolute and warm. Doubtlessly in keeping with Cohen's spirit.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Her voice is everything; near, deep, absolute and warm.

Excellent description 8) .
Doubtlessly in keeping with Cohen's spirit.
Excellent conclusion 8) .

Thanks for posting this translated review, Geoffrey :D .

I so hope that you'll be experiencing this for yourself.

~ Lizzy
Manna

Post by Manna »

Yeah, I wish I could take a bath in Anjani's singing too.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yeah, I wish I could take a bath in Anjani's singing too.
Go to New York and you will, Manna 8) .

~ Lizzy
Manna

Post by Manna »

I would love to, but life is in the way, plus I just dropped a chunk-o-change on my bike and can't really convince myself that I can afford it. She'll be through again, most probably.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, well, Manna :) . I understand the financial aspects. The difference that I see with this concert is that, even though Anjani will likely be through again, Leonard may not accompany her. He seems to be bringing focus now to the fact that this is her concert tour. He's 'introducing' her via his own material and participation and production/recording... however, this doesn't require a literal introduction, as well.

I seriously hope to see Leonard tour with his new album and, if that happens, Anjani will very likely be there, as well... as it seems duets may be a given on the album, and she will likely sing from Blue Alert, as well... at least a couple of songs.

For seeing the two of them together; for absolute certain, however, these performances at Joe's Pub seems to be the venue. So, I just keep encouraging those who want to see Anjani and have always wanted to see Leonard... to do it now. "A bird in the hand . . . " theory... still, we have to make our own decisions according to our own lives :D .

~ Lizzy

Return to “Blue Alert”