New edition of Blue Alert

jarkko
Site Admin

New edition of Blue Alert

Post by jarkko »

This is the new cover for the Blue Alert re-release (in April), with bonus-DVD!

lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That's a lovely, natural photo of Anjani... it shows her quiet strength and determination.

It also has the Catherine Tetakwitha look and colouring, a matter in which at least several of us have interest.

Thanks for posting it, Jarkko. Was Lorca the photographer?

~ Lizzy
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I don't know who shot the photo.

The album itself is being packaged with bonus DVD content in a new 3-panel format!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

The album itself is being packaged with bonus DVD content in a new 3-panel format!
OOOoooooo... this sounds worth a separate purchase 8) . I could speculate on what all that might include, but will wait and be surprized.

Thanks for that info!

~ Lizzy
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The photo was shot by Lorca. She is a very gifted photographer!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I had that feeling 8) . You're right, she is... :D .

Thanks for checking.

~ Lizzy
Diane

Post by Diane »

That is a beautiful photo of Anjani by Lorca.

I recall when you arranged for us to meet Anjani at the end of the concert in Dublin, Jarkko. She is clearly a woman of self-possession and grace, and a little mystery. This picture represents her very well.

Diane
Laura

Post by Laura »

A bonus DVD of what?
Laura
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The DVD contains The Making of Blue Alert, a short film by Lian Lunson,
and song videos of Thanks For The Dance and The Mist.
Participants of the Berlin Event saw all these last August!
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Thanks Jarkko, The new photo is excellent, and far more striking than the original one. There are a few albums that I have absolutely no objection to purchasing twice, and this is one of them. Let's hope that it now receives the recognition that it deserves. Best wishes, John E
Manna

Post by Manna »

Am I to be the lone voice? The only one who liked the original better? That mysterious shadow across Anjani's face is like a veil, but it's unable to conceal the highlight on her glossy lip. There is a very complex look on her face - some hint of innocence or maybe modesty in her eyes, but also a bit of "Don't F--- with Me" power. And she looks completely relaxed and at home with that look on her face. She could stare down a tornado and win, I'm sure, by embarrassing it for daring to hurt something so steadfantastic.

This latter photo is much more magazine-cover-like to me. I don't think it's Lorca's best work, in fact I was surprised to learn it was hers. It's too conventional, too normal. A lot of Lorca's photography plays with light and shadow and composition, and I really like a lot of it, but this one makes Anjani look like she's selling make-up, which she is, by-God, beautiful enough to do, but there's so much more to her that this one just doesn't capture; it doesn't compare to the other.

...This post has been an exercise in the run-on sentence and generally poor sentence construction. :roll:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

GGGRRrrrrr... lost it all!! Starting over...

Hi Manna ~

I like both photos of Anjani.

The first one doesn't feel 'selling make-up' to me, but has more of a 1930s-40s feel to it, which is appropriate for the sound of some of the music and songs on Blue Alert. The golden-amber of the background [like wallpaper from that era] and the lighting on her face just remind me of that time.

It also has the feel of an Italian film... made of/during that time, with her as a woman in one of the families... not that she looks Italian, but that she could be from a film made of one of the families.

The second one feels more contemporary; and is my preference, not because I prefer this time period to the 1930s-40s or the feeling of an Italian film ~ but, rather for the reasons you've cited. I like what Lorca has done with the light and lighting in it better. I like the mysterious look that Anjani has and that Lorca has accentuated with the dark background; the contrast of her black hair against her skin and her pure white dress... with her eyes highlighted by light and the not-as-straight-on angle of her face. They each capture a different mood, altogether; yet, simply as a picture, I find more of intrigue and interest in the original one. There's something about the look in her eyes, that I happen to prefer, as well. If I had more time right now, I'd try to figure a way to describe the difference. It seems, maybe, a tad of questioning[?] lending a certainly vulnerability to all that strength that is very clear? She looks serene in both, so really not sure if that's it :? .

So, you're not alone in your preference. However, it's very good that some prefer the latter, as that will have its own effect on the sale of the re-release. I really want to see this beautiful album do well.

[Run-on sentences and I seem to be best friends :wink: .]

~ Lizzy
Diane

Post by Diane »

Hi Manna,

I had to go dig out my Blue Alert to compare the two photos. I do know what you mean. The original photo looks less contrived, and more original in use of light and shadow than this one. She is also wearing less makeup, and her hair appears less 'over-groomed' ("less over-groomed": what a terrible term that is, but I can't think of an alternative description; it's past midnight). I mean it looks entirely natural, and not fixed for a photo-shoot. In the original pic she has the appearance of having suddenly glanced sideways at the viewer, and it's a compelling glare, as you say.

But I like this new pic too. An upward turned head conveys a sense of pride and even aloofness in a photo, but the soft expression in her features says something like, "if you can get past my cool exterior, I have gentle things to show you". It probably will sell more cds than the other cover, too. Marketing must play a role if you want to make your living from music, I guess.

Diane
Henning

Post by Henning »

It's impressive to see how much Anjani has developed to such a beauty since 1985. Beautiful even then she now has that certain look into her eyes that makes a man want to be a Leonard. German TV covered a 30 min show from the 85 tour with scenes from the band and a few questions answered by Leonard. The moderator introduced Anjani (she was called Angie then) as the angel of the whole travelling circus. Whenever there was some tension in between, Angie showed up to make it light. After 20 years yesterday I had the chance to see that show again and when Leonard was asked "Do you think God loves you" he said, "Yes, I know that but whether I love God enough I am not sure" !
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

You're not alone, Manna. Same opinion here, sorry folks. First cover was mesmerizing.

Why the strange format of photo?

Return to “Blue Alert”