Anjani at the Montreal Jazz

dick

Anjani at the Montreal Jazz

Post by dick »

How many times can you say WOW??!!!

We managed to get tickets to both 5 pm and 9 pm shows on Friday June 30tn, and WOW!. That is our non-articulate rating.

We loved the Blue Alert album before coming to Montreal, and have totally new and enhanced appreciation now. There is no way a studio recording can capture the lovely and charming Anjani as you see her live. The rich, emotional voice she brings, along with the collaboration of a solid jazz trio and stage charisma, great lyrics, and seductive music -- all come together like "you've never heard before."

If I'm less than clear ----- please request Anjani's appearance at major venues you know --

Me? I'm shooting for Algonquin or Carlyle in New York City

This is a show you will never forget. A large Jazz Fest bar went totally hush, twice, for Anjani and band. She earned every sound of silence.

BRAVO to the lovely singer from Hawaii --- ANJANI
Last edited by dick on Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anne

Post by Anne »

I am so glad that the shows were amazing. I am so sorry my family obligations and other issues prevented me from seeing Anjani in Montreal. I would have loved to see her sing again. She has a truly lovely voice and is a wonderful perfomer.

I can relate to the inarticulate ranting. I think Jarkko put mine from the indigo event in May onto a page for everyone to enjoy!

Post by Guest »

For those who like more details ---

Anjani began the set with Innermost Door, and concluded with Thanks for the Dance. All told she was on for about an hour. She did all of the Blue Alert songs except Mist.

Sequence was Door, Half a Perfect World, Golden Gate, Blue Alert, Never Got to Love You, No One After You, Crazy to Love You, and Dance. She saved Nightingale for a perfect, almost solo, encore.

Sony had to be happy with full house and superb show. I heard only praise from the audience.

Fans who were able to connect and sit with us included Eva Poola and Shilrey Spencer from Montreal, and Heather Salisbury who drove alone from New Hamphire. I enjoyed a perfect hug fest and Linda loved the show as well.
dick

Post by dick »

Sorry I wasn't logged in --

guest above was of course me
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi Dick,

Thanks for the great report! So sorry Anne and I couldn't make it either. I knew that she would be fantastic!

You are so right about recorded music-it just can never deliver the goods like a live performance. I thought of that when reading about Leonard urging Anjani to sing from a place... (I've forgotton the quote). I think that it doesn't translate well to recordings, but once you've heard it live you can detect it in the recordings.

Looking forward to seeing you in Berlin.

Joe
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Beautiful report, Dick! The articulate and non-articulate ratings, both! I have no problem imagining the impact... as I'm already getting it IN the recording... even so, I have no doubt there's even greater impact awaiting 8) .
The rich, emotional voice she brings, along with the collaboration of a solid jazz trio and stage carisma, great lyrics, and seductive music -- all come together like "you've never heard before."

This is a show you will never forget. A large Jazz Fest bar went totally hush, twice, for Anjani and band. She earned every sound of silence.

BRAVO to the lovely singer from Hawaii --- ANJANI
Absolutely believable and, I have to believe, perfectly expressed 8) .

I loved reading your report... and I'm thrilled that Linda is 'with you' on this one :D .

~ Lizzy
Dem

Post by Dem »

Dick wrote:
please request Anjani's appearance at major venues you know --
How about the next Leonard Cohen Event?
Heather Salisbury who drove alone from New Hamphire.
How is Heather doing?

Dem
dick

Post by dick »

Heather was radiant and beautiful as always Dem --- on the fence re berlin and asked if you were going to be there......

Hope you both sign up real soon!

Dick

Post by Guest »

My reaction right from the first few lines of Innermost Door was : « My God, this is even better than the album ». She does have this live quality which, I guess, makes for great jazz performers. The venue was intimate. The crowd religiously silent. The set up with keyboard, guitar and base was fine, but I missed the grand piano. The show would gain I think with her and a grand piano in center stage and more intimate lightning. No doubt she gives a great act. Don’t miss her if she comes your way
Simon

Post by Simon »

That was my post.

The show felt too short. I think the room was booked after her for some other Festival late show.
Cohen is the koan
Why else would I still be stuck here
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for your report, too, Simon :) .

Yes ~ I'd say a grand piano, or at least a baby grand, and Anjani go well together ~ a great visual to go with an equally-great sound 8) . I'm glad to see that a Live performance may convert some naysayers on the merits of this sublime album :D .

~ Lizzy
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

I knew that she will do it. The Montréal's Jazz Fest. And also a great show - she has something so pure in the voice. The problem with me is : I am just fan of Leonard Cohen (I never been a fan of anybody else in my life before) and to no other artist, how much the artist could deserve to be "worshiped". I like them, I appreciate them, I listen to them, but, well, this is not the same thing. I don't know if it is a sickness or what. At least it is a fact for sure. I don't care. That's life.

As for Anjani, I sure hope she won't have to do a show with ligthning in it. A more suitable ligthing I wish her. 8)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks for the spelling back up Cookie. That's the problem with Guest posts, you can't edit them even if you wanted to.

Intimate lightning! Now that's an image to ponder. What was the name of that Scandinavian God who could throw bolts of lightning? Thor?
Cohen is the koan
Why else would I still be stuck here
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

It is a sickness, Tchoco. I have it also. :wink:
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Oh! I don't really care Simon, it's just that I was feeling alone these days, being the only one to be corrected for anything and everything, even when there is no mistake at all. Thanks for the good company of yours!

Yes Tom. OK. In this case you will be pleased to know that in introduction to Paul Simons's tribute (there is a tribute to Paul Simon as a major event of the MIJF - by the way, your dear Martha W. is part of it (the MIJF not Paul Simon's tribute) this year) they presented a record of a reading by Leonard Cohen. What a great tribute for Simon.

Return to “Blue Alert”