Blue Alert

gammahay

Blue Alert

Post by gammahay »

i love Anjani and all - but I cant help it -the title reminds me of the Blue light special at K-mart.
Judith511

Re: Blue Alert

Post by Judith511 »

Well that thought never occured to me. I really like the album. Am listening to it now. I bought it at Hamilton. I had all the other things they were selling except the poster and Blue Alert. :D
Waterloo January 30 1975 , Hamilton June 3 2008, Toronto June 9 2008,
Cleveland October 25 2009 ,Toronto December 4th 2012
News Gal

Post by News Gal »

The name of it makes me think of that little terrorism alert scale here in the US. Blue is pretty much nothing going on. I can't get past that.
ᎤᏩᎬᏗᏒ ᏥᎪᏩᏘᎲ, ᎯᎩᎾᎵᎢ, ᎠᏓᎯᏍᏗ ᎨᏐ. Uwagvdisv tsigowatihv, higinali'i , adahisdi geso (I've seen the future brother, it is murder.)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I recall the "Blue Light Special" crossing my mind, too, when I first heard the title. I don't recall knowing that there is a Blue code for terrorism alerts. Perhaps, because yellow and red and orange, or whatever all those hotter colours are, have dominated for so long. Fortunately, there's a whole lot of beauty going on with the album Blue Alert.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Steven

Post by Steven »

"Fortunately, there's a whole lot of beauty going on with the album Blue Alert."

Hi Lizzy,

Seems to me that there are "Bits of beauty everywhere" with that album. :)
It's a great album to come back to again and again. Don't ask how I know this.
;-)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Haha... dang. Wish I'd thought of that, Steven 8) .

[You can see how long it took me to get back to this thread :roll: .]

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
News Gal

Post by News Gal »

After listening to part of the album, I have to say it really isn't my thing. I like how she keeps it old-school with the analog-to-digital though, we do that at the station often so lower voices aren't all full of artifacts when we put them into the automation system. Other than that, meh.

BTW, is Anjani her REAL name? I ask because it just means "lady" in Hindi. Kind of like "Donna" in Italian.
ᎤᏩᎬᏗᏒ ᏥᎪᏩᏘᎲ, ᎯᎩᎾᎵᎢ, ᎠᏓᎯᏍᏗ ᎨᏐ. Uwagvdisv tsigowatihv, higinali'i , adahisdi geso (I've seen the future brother, it is murder.)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi Lizzy,

Let's say it was a collaborative venture. Couldn't have thought of it weren't
it for your post. If this were a Springsteen thread, there could be a bit of
punning about "Two Hearts Are Better Than One," kinds of things. :)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi News Gal,

Fair enough. This CD genre isn't usually my thing either. Previously, I'd never
bought a CD in the jazz section. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, because of the
L.C. affiliation. For him, I was willing to "make an exception." Glad I did. Perhaps if you
were to listen to the rest of the album you might like it better. I don't know
about Anjani's name. Someone else might be able to provide information about it.
News Gal

Post by News Gal »

Steven wrote:Hi News Gal,

Fair enough. This CD genre isn't usually my thing either. Previously, I'd never
bought a CD in the jazz section. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, because of the
L.C. affiliation. For him, I was willing to "make an exception." Glad I did. Perhaps if you
were to listen to the rest of the album you might like it better. I don't know
about Anjani's name. Someone else might be able to provide information about it.
That's probably it. I never liked jazz--actually, I hate it because I think it's a fake "sophisticated" version of our Southern blues and soul. Blech. The only reason I even bothered was the affiliation, and even then...
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi News Girl,

I misspoke. It occurred to me after posting that I do have a compilation or
two of Nat King Cole, clearly a jazz stylist. Also, I've some Cajun music that
might have been miscategorized as jazz, though I consider it folk. -- Not that
this matters to you, but I try to be honest, even for its own sake. Were additional
jazz CDs to be purchased, I'd have no qualms about getting some by Louis Armstrong
and a few others.

See if "The Mist" appeals to you on "Blue Alert." I think it's a nice rendition. :)
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

I absolutely LOVE the album. Anjani's voice is fantastic, clear and unpretentious and so are the songs. One of the best CDs I have.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi News Gal ~

I'm wondering where you were when you began listening to Blue Alert. My suggestion is you take it home with you or that's where it's already at, take it to bed with you... listen to it in the dark alone. Allow Anjani's voice and melodies and Leonard's words fill the air. After it's finished, listen to it, again with an open mind and an open heart. After your second time listening, notice whether the melodies are beginning to float through your mind and upon your third listening... it really is worth the effort, if you don't take to the album right away... see if you're not anticipating the next song, as each melody begins to enter your mind in proper succession. It's an experiment that will require three listenings. It's so worth it.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

I suppose my regard for Blue Alert can be deduced from the subtle intimations of the title of my first post about Anjani or Leonard Cohen: "Blue Alert - A Recommendation That Will Make You Want To Kiss Me" (http://1heckofaguy.com/2006/07/25/music ... o-kiss-me/). Nonetheless, the "Blue Alert" title also evoked in me thoughts of Kmart, resulting in my take on a proposed sales campaign for "Anjani's Blue Light Special."
bluealertlightspecial.jpg
bluealertlightspecial.jpg (135.44 KiB) Viewed 16710 times
Sony and Kmart developed a joint promotion calling for special discount pricing for CDs sold at Kmart in return for heavy advertising and the re-institution of Kmart’s infamous Blue Light Specials. In an unusual clause on the final page, Sony also reserved the right to assign Anjani and Leonard Cohen to night shift duties on the cash registers at a Kmart in Joplin, Missouri should CD sales goals not be met.
"Anjani's Blue Light Special," in turn, led to 3 or 4 similar sales schemes, including my personal favorite, “Anjani Goes Blue,” A Tribute To The Humor Of Red Foxx," at http://1heckofaguy.com/2007/07/10/anjan ... ill-alert/
News Gal

Post by News Gal »

ROTFLOL!!!!

I will say this though--something about Anjani doesn't sit right with me. I can't figure out what it is.

Return to “Blue Alert”