Next Step: Charity projects

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
199Dan

Re: Next Step: Charity projects

Post by 199Dan »

Well done Jarkko !
:D
B4real

Post by B4real »

jarkko wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:43 am In Montreal we talked with Cantor Gideon Zelermyer of Shaar Hashomayim, Leonard's family synagogue. He had discussed charity projects with Leonard only some months before his death. "Give your contribution to the hungry", Leonard had said. Our Bench Team decided to follow this guidance.
Thank you Jarkko, for all your hard work and this update,
I'm so pleased to have contributed in some small way to this :D
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
199Dan

Post by 199Dan »

Well done fellow members... :D ...
I bet we all can find a local food pantry to continue Leonard's wish to feed the hungry .
Remember, "magic loves the hungry"
jongrep

Post by jongrep »

Good decision!
anny

Post by anny »

Thank you Jarkko, it feels so good!!!
sereneava

Post by sereneava »

Thank you Bench Team, great decision. Best wishes to you all.
gretabertella

Post by gretabertella »

jarkko wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:43 am This is to report that we have today donated 10,000 eur to the Social Supermarket and Social Pharmacy of Hydra. These charity projects are operated by the Municipality of Hydra. Our money will be used to buy food and medicines to local people who have urgent needs. There are many - often elderly people - who have no income at all, and no younger generations to support them.

In Montreal we talked with Cantor Gideon Zelermyer of Shaar Hashomayim, Leonard's family synagogue. He had discussed charity projects with Leonard only some months before his death. "Give your contribution to the hungry", Leonard had said. Our Bench Team decided to follow this guidance.

This money was collected in 2014 to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday; more than 300 members and other Leonard's fans contributed the project. With their donations we built the bench on Hydra (it was inaugurated in June 2017).

With this 10,000 eur donation to social help we have used most of the amount we had in reserve. We left some 2,000 eur to pay the following costs:

o two trees will be planted in the Spring, one on both sides of the bench
o reserve for the maintenance of the bench (the wooden part has to be replaced at some point)
o we promised to make a photo book with names of all donators and photos from our Hydra happenings; it will be done before the next Meetup and the book will be deposited at the Museum of Hydra (+a copy to the Municipality as well).
Thanks, Jarkko, for all you have done.
The bench and the 10.000 euros donation to social help are wonderful, wonderful things.
Thank you, again and again.

greta

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”