The Bench

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
Vicomte

The Bench

Post by Vicomte »

Rather than put this post with the other thread on the bench I felt my post should not be in there.

I may be alone and I don't post this with anything more than what I feel. When I first saw the "bench" I honestly thought someone was having a joke. A layer of stone on the floor and stone built up around the sides, with a wooden back rest Then somewhere previously I read that there was an architect involved.This surely did not require an architect, well unless it was something like jobs for the boys and get plenty of people involved and spread the money around by saying well it is a Greek island, as if that sets it apart, perhaps it does for all I know but makes me wonder why if that is the case and especially as Athens was mentioned at times.

I am sure that our own Geoffrey could have designed something far more in keeping and worthy of being Leonard's bench?

My thoughts by being in the building trade for many years, is that it should have taken at most a few days, possibly four of actual labour, depending on logistics of course and the number of people on site. Dare I ask how much this cost overall?
I am a fan of Leonard's since Noah was a boy and this is in no way meant to dishonour him by my thoughts and certainly I would not wish to embarrass Jarkko who not only oversaw the collections but also offering the forum members how it was going to be spent.

Maybe I just expected more than what was.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
LisaLCFan

Re: The Bench

Post by LisaLCFan »

You may be onto something, Vicomte. Due to the costs and planning that were apparently involved, instead of a plain stone wall (which is a bit ironic, considering the "stonewalling" that preceded its construction...), I was actually hoping for something more like this Beethoven memorial "bench" in Vienna:

beethoven-statue.jpg
Vicomte

Re: The Bench

Post by Vicomte »

Now that splendid piece of work Lisa would be a rather good reason for the delay. And it has great seating around its base. This "bench" as it is called, is not, or is it? Was it where it is on the Island, or just part of Greek mythology about planning?
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”