Leonard 80 years: Fund Raising for our Hydra Bench

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
anneporter

Re: Leonard 80 years: Fund Raising for our Hydra Bench

Post by anneporter »

I am wondering….Since we raised so large a sum so quickly… Perhaps we could set up a foundation or "Hydra Island Support Fund" with the excess, and continue to accept donations in the future. Members could choose to create fundraising events, or donate small amounts from sales of Hydra- or Leonard-related art works, recordings, writings, concerts, etc, or simply money when visiting Hydra, as a way of giving something back to the island and islanders that welcome us so graciously. Or we could do something like charge 10 euro instead of 5 for our evenings at the cinema, with the extra going to the fund.
I participated in a similar initiative when I visited Skyros island last year. Much of the money raised went to heating the schools and old-age homes i winter when the government funds ran out. I know it gets cold and lonely on Hydra in the winter….

I have pasted some information about the Skyros initiative below:

The Skyros Island Support Fund . . .

Support Fund raises over €27,000 and fuel is now being delivered to schools ...

On Thursday 21st March 2013, sat before steaming cups of coffee and humming computers, the Skyros team sent out a newsletter announcing the new Skyros Island Support Fund – a charitable fundraising initiative with the specific aim of raising €20.000 for heating Skyros island's schools, clinic and nursing home during the winter of 2013 / 2014. This was established due to lack of funds as Greek government subsidies for the purpose have dried up.

Due to your generosity, we are delighted to announce that we have not only reached our target, but surpassed it too. The total raised is €27.018,41! We are, therefore, pleased to confirm that on Monday the 11th of November, the first instalment of fuel was delivered to the five schools on the island. This includes the nurseries and the primary and secondary schools. This cost a total of €5.090,40, leaving the fund still with €21.928,01. The next fuel delivery will be in January.

We are waiting to hear when fuel for the nursing home and clinic needs to be delivered. Next, we will be purchasing essential supplies for the local hospital. They have forwarded us a list of required materials at an approximate cost of €10.000. In the meantime, we are working closely with the local community to ensure that all funds raised go directly to where they are needed most, and that prices obtained ensure the funds go as far as possible.

Overwhelmed (in a good way) with your response, we would like to to say a massive efharistó (thank you) to everyone who contributed. You have truly helped make a difference for so many islanders this winter.

Here is the link:
http://theskyrosblog.blogspot.ca/2013/0 ... -best.html

Just a thought…

all the best to one and all,
Anne
uncleerwinone

Post by uncleerwinone »

Dear Jarkko,

like Olwen I was also under the impression, wrongly as it turns out, that the list of donor names would be posted online. The way it was done at previous occasions (70th, 75th birthday). Why the change? Here goes my only chance to be published. Oh well.

Ruth
rpan

Post by rpan »

I too think this could be an annual thing on a smaller scale.

Perhaps if the fund supports 2 or 3 local things this time along with the bench, the fund could be re-opened every year for the month before Sept 21 to gather top up funds and support a couple more things each year, the same ones or new needs on the island.
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

rpan, that sounds like a very good idea.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Many of you have asked to see the card we sent to Leonard on his birthday.

Marie designed the card, and it's uploaded now to http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/80card.pdf(pdf file, 1 MB).
However, the list of names is not included in this public version. There were many who wanted to keep their names private. We promised to give the names to Leonard and print them in the photo book next summer; we would need to ask every donator for additional permission if we wanted to change this.

We are now closing also the PayPal account. The final number of contributors was 366, and we got 19 058.15 eur in total. Excellent outcome of this fine Project!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

That is a fantastic achievement Jarkko, I am proud to have been part of it. Thank you for letting us know and thank you, once again, for everything you do.

Tom
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Beautiful card!! Thank you to Marie for designing it & thanks to Jarkko for posting it. I love the colorful hummingbird sipping the flower, & it looks like the lovely lavender petals have heart-shaped centers. Really perfect. Thanks again.
Doris

Post by Doris »

I thought the same. It´s an absolute wonderful card, dear Marie. Thank you and Jarkko very very much for all you do.
And all I´ve said
was just instead of
Coming back to you.
Jakob Skov

Post by Jakob Skov »

Hi there

I just transferred a small donation - I hope you haven't closed the account yet, since I prefer to see my donation going to the project rather than to an Irish bank.

Best of wishes - and thank you a million times,

Jakob
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Don't worry Jakob. We will get the donations. The project is in principle closed, but we have to keep the accounts until all the funds have been used, and it will take time.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Marie - the card is perfect! I'm so glad that dar's sentiment was chosen.

Thank you so very much, Jarkko and Marie for taking on this huge project on our behalf and to Anne for coming up with the original idea!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Jakob Skov

Post by Jakob Skov »

WOW - that is a magnificient card!! If I turned 80 and received such a card I would definately be very moved.

Fantastic - beautiful and very poetic. Great idea!
Janetld

Post by Janetld »

Beautiful card, thank you Marie and
Jarkko.
Ingrid

Post by Ingrid »

Hi Jarkko,

I just donated my small contribution for The Leonard Cohen Bench.
Glad I joined.

Ingrid
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

The card is beautiful, Marie.
Congratulations on your artistic talent, and many thanks to you, Jarkko and the others for organising this project.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”