How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
mutti

Re: How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

Post by mutti »

I too love the idea of a stone bench with something 'written in stone'. I love some of the ideas especially …" Came so far for beauty".
If the Unified Heart could also be on it that would be great too.
Looking forward to seeing how this all unfolds.
Leslie 8)
Last edited by mutti on Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I love all the thought and consideration that are being put into this. Haven't had a chance to look at the benches, yet, but definitely will prefer the natural look... and, as Dem has pointed out, the more it's in sync with the landscape, the better. Agree, too, on the Unified Heart symbol... if possible.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
B4real

Post by B4real »

Maybe the stone bench could be placed somewhere along this path, against and blending in with the rock outcrop and facing the sea -

The idyllic blossom path that leads to the beautiful village of Kamini in the tiny Greek island of Hydra in the Aegean Sea.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
dick

Post by dick »

Many great suggestions here. I like stone bench with back for comfort and inscription -- B4 real thought of integrating into a natural existing stone wall has much appeal. Also like "Came so far for Beauty"
holydove

Post by holydove »

"came so far for beauty" was the first line that crossed my mind when the stone bench was suggested; that, along with the unified heart, if it's not too much to do, would be lovely. There are, of course, many other lines that would also work well. I think a short quote, with just a few words, would be best. "you were always the one" would also be very nice.

I've also been thinking about this: In the poem, "Not A Jew", one of the ways Leonard identifies himself is: "The Founder, Order of the Unified Heart". (In the book, the poem is shortened, & doesn't include that line; but the entire poem, which includes that line, can be seen in the LC files, in the "blackening pages" section). With that in mind, I think it might be nice to inscribe something like: "To Leonard - Founder, Order of the Unified Heart - on his 80th birthday - with love, from his friends". But that might be too many words, which is a shame, because I think it would be really nice to acknowledge Leonard's role as the founder, through his brilliant art, of this very unique & wonderful Order (esp. since this poem suggests that he does see himself as such) .

I will be happy with whatever is decided upon, & I hope permission for this project will be granted.

Here is the poem:

NOT A JEW

Anyone who says
I'm not a Jew
is not a Jew
I'm very sorry
but this is final

so says:
Eliezar, son of Nissan,
priest of Israel;
a.k.a
Nightingale of the Sinai,
Yom Kippur 1973;
a.k.a
Jikan the Unconvincing,
zen monk;
a.k.a
Leonard Cohen,
Certified Food Worker,
San Bernadino County, CA;
a.k.a
The Founder,
Order of the Unified Heart;
a.k.a
The Best Dressed Man in Montreal
(local newspaper)

(There is a drawing of the Unified Heart at the end, & the words "Emblem of the Order of the Unified Heart" in parenthesis, but I couldn't copy that here).
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It occurred to me this afternoon as I was driving home that the natural stone bench with engraving would render it no longer natural.
Dilemma ;-)

So, I guess some very discreet engraving... on the side for the symbol... and not sure where for the engraving. Definitely feel that "Came so for for beauty" is applicable for the distance walked on the path for the beautiful view; the distance to get to Greece and/or then to Hydra; the distance taken on the path of one's own life to arrive where we're at emotionally in that juncture ~ many possibilities.

I also like the idea of the bench having a back for leaning on.

That photo looks like another wonderful possibility for a location.
~ Oscar Wilde
anneporter

How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

Post by anneporter »

Lizzytysh wrote:"the natural stone bench with engraving would render it no longer natural.
Dilemma ;-)"

---actually, quarrying stone and shaping it into a bench renders it no longer "natural"!
newfoundland--understand?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Of course... :)
~ Oscar Wilde
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

I contacted Mr. Lakis Christidis today and I'm glad to say that he really likes and will fully support our bench project. After contacting with the mayor of Hydra he called me again and said he is also very supportive and positive; the only problem we face now is getting the permission of the Archaeological Service (what I was afraid initially). The whole island of Hydra has been characterised as "archaelogical site" (since 1996), so for even small projects, things can be difficult. Mr. Christidis arranged to meet tomorrow a civil engineer (who is friend of his and knows well what is required in similar cases), so we can have a drawing design of the bench, as the mayor (who is also an architect) said we need to have it to present in all details our bench project; we talked about a simple stone bench (I mentioned the idea of "Came so far for beauty" inscription, that he really liked), located on the way to Kamini perhaps near Avlaki area. Mr. Christidis is so kind and helpful, let's hope everything goes well with required permission - in that case he said we could have a nice presentation supported by municipality of Hydra in September.
I'll keep you updated :-)

Sophia
Last edited by Sophia on Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Wonderful news, Sophia. Thanks
newfoundland--understand?
surrender

Post by surrender »

Sophia, a lot of thanks for your efforts; good luck tomorrow with the appointment!

Jarmila
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Those are really good news, Sophia.
Thank you for all the efforts you and Mr Christidis have been doing this week, and hopefully, all you will have to make during the next months! ;-) ;-)

Te idea is taking form, and it looks like, once again, we will have a result to be proud as comunity.

"I came so far for beauty" is one of my favourites too.
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That's GREAT, Sophia! So good to know that two such influential parties on the island are strongly in favour.
That will certainly help [or should] when it comes to the REAL serious bureaucratic matters.
They'll be helpful [as they've already begun to be] in helping us navigate those waters, that process.
Thanks for your getting right on it. Certainly don't have any time to waste.
~ Oscar Wilde
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

A parc, a gorgeous flower-and-tree garden with birds, on Hydra or in Israel facing the sea, or in the Old Montreal facing the Saint-Laurent (or in all these places)- with a statue of the Man and many benches with poems from him written everywhere in the stones.

Beginning this year, this can be done step by step with a major achievement every September 21.

Some people may create flowers in his name or inspired by some particular songs and poems for this garden.

Love!
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What a beautiful garden that would be, Tchocolatl.
A long-term project.
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”