How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
Tchocolatl

Re: How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

Post by Tchocolatl » Thu May 29, 2014 2:49 pm

I don't see "First, we Take Manhattan" on a bench in the future, brother.

"Come over to the window my little darling."

I see a new mayor, right now. Who will agree to name an existing park after the Man in order that diehard fans here could put the bench there.

Or create a new one.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
chrissie01

Post by chrissie01 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:30 am

I have been reading many fascinating pages of wonderful suggestions from so many devoted and caring fans, all emotionally involved in sharing ideas, and finding a way to make this even more meaningful than the beautiful tributes that have gone before. I found myself swept along with the idea of benches. and or/engraved stones on Hydra, our place of pilgrimage, and spiritual home. ....as it was his.
And you want to travel with him
And you want to travel blind
And you think maybe you'll trust him
For he's touched your perfect body with his mind
Dem

Post by Dem » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:58 am

If we are talking about Hydra
just to inform you that there are no parks there.

Dem
Athens 2008, Prague 2009, Paris 2012
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:24 pm

Tchoc has been speaking of Montreal, Dem.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
phillip

Post by phillip » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:43 pm

im in too would love to do a racording for Leonard wishing him a happy birthday or maybe post pics of my Leonard Cohen collection for Leonard what do you all think?
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:48 am

Well, Phil... so many people have such extensive collections, with some being shown at various meet-ups. My feeling is that he knows that many people collect his work and some very extensively. So, it would seem that would end up being more a matter of people singling themselves out as being various-level collectors vs. that lasting and meaningful thing that would focus on him for at least decades to come, for those who know of him and those who would be learning of him and then discovering his work. I like the universal potential of that. Someone here already suggested something about video recording ourselves, but there again, who would end up making it through the final cut... and that would be something that would become buried amidst other postings here [if it were connected via a link] or be just at Leonard's house or wherever it would travel to from there. Something that's in the public sphere, however, will reach untold numbers of people and bringing the same message to them, that Leonard Cohen is deeply loved... and the bench is practical, as well.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
phillip

Post by phillip » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:38 pm

lizzytysh wrote:Well, Phil... so many people have such extensive collections, with some being shown at various meet-ups. My feeling is that he knows that many people collect his work and some very extensively. So, it would seem that would end up being more a matter of people singling themselves out as being various-level collectors vs. that lasting and meaningful thing that would focus on him for at least decades to come, for those who know of him and those who would be learning of him and then discovering his work. I like the universal potential of that. Someone here already suggested something about video recording ourselves, but there again, who would end up making it through the final cut... and that would be something that would become buried amidst other postings here [if it were connected via a link] or be just at Leonard's house or wherever it would travel to from there. Something that's in the public sphere, however, will reach untold numbers of people and bringing the same message to them, that Leonard Cohen is deeply loved... and the bench is practical, as well.

I agree well put like most fans I have got his entire collection of books, albums, concerts from 1970-present so whatever we do keep me posted would love to be part of the Birthday greetings :)
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:52 pm

phillip wrote:
I agree well put like most fans I have got his entire collection of books, albums, concerts from 1970-present so whatever we do keep me posted would love to be part of the Birthday greetings :)
Philip, sorry but I would say the huge majority of his fans don't have that much at all and I suspect you are in a minority. When you think of all the many people who have been to see Leonard since his come back in 2008 and then see how many are regulars on this forum, the huge majority have no want to be on the forum and all the friends we have who are also LC followers are not here and have little else than his albums/CD's and a book or three.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
phillip

Post by phillip » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:06 am

Vicomte wrote:
phillip wrote:
Philip, sorry but I would say the huge majority of his fans don't have that much at all and I suspect you are in a minority. When you think of all the many people who have been to see Leonard since his come back in 2008 and then see how many are regulars on this forum, the huge majority have no want to be on the forum and all the friends we have who are also LC followers are not here and have little else than his albums/CD's and a book or three.
sorry but that does not make sense i have seen him 5 times in concert 1993, twice in 2008 2009 and 2013 I have got all his albums etc and am always on here so not sure what u are saying!
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:26 am

phillip wrote:
Vicomte wrote:
phillip wrote:
sorry but that does not make sense i have seen him 5 times in concert 1993, twice in 2008 2009 and 2013 I have got all his albums etc and am always on here so not sure what u are saying!
Well to put it in simple terms. You have an awful lot of items associated with LC and I said that you are in a minority (as in not the majority) because you said "I agree well put like most fans I have got his entire collection of books, albums, concerts from 1970-present" and I don't think most fans do have all that. Most fans are are not on this forum and tried to size it up to the reality that most fans are not here in comparison to how many attended Cohen's concerts.

As for you not understanding, well sorry but your reply in italics has me bamboozled as well....
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:47 am

Let's get back to the original topic.
Huge majority of people who have posted or sent their input by email are in favor of the Hydra bench.
This will be our project, if we get the necessary permissions from the Greek authorities.
Our local friend Lakis is working on that, and we will get updated reports from Henning and Demetris who are now on Hydra. Willy and Wijbe will also be on the island next week, and are going to follow the progress.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:11 pm

Today's report from Lakis:

Our friend, an architect, has made already sketches of 5 positions along the road to Kamini.
The mayor has agreed on one of them and we all think that it’s the best spot of all. Next step is to apply the plans to the
Government offices.
Henning, Demetris, Willy, Wijbe, Bea, Christelle, Stamatina, and possibly Sophia and some others who are or will be on Hydra this week, are going to have a meeting with Lakis.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
surrender

Post by surrender » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:22 am

Good news, thank you Jarkko for keeping us informed.
I hope things work out soon, fingers crossed for smooth and successful negotiation with the Greek authorities (Keep Calm And Cohen On);
thanks to everybody involved.

Jarmila
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:54 am

I would like to see the google doodler acknowledge this milestone birthday. I don't know how to lobby him/her, or if its even possible. Would be nice though...
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by scocoh » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:37 am

Fantastic idea, Monk-E !! :D
How can Google users/the public submit ideas for doodles?

The doodle team is always excited to hear ideas from users - they can email proposals@google.com with ideas for the next Google doodle. The team receives hundreds of requests every day so we unfortunately can't respond to everyone. But rest assured that we're reading them :)
Let the emails begin, folks! That gives them three months to decide and design.

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”