Popular Problems - Secrets Of The Mix Engineers

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
B4real

Popular Problems - Secrets Of The Mix Engineers

Post by B4real »

I've just come across this by accident, found it quite informative and thought others would too, especially the audiophiles among us :)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec14/a ... k-1214.htm

Inside Track: Leonard Cohen, Popular Problems
Secrets Of The Mix Engineers: Patrick Leonard & Jesse E String

In search of reality, Leonard Cohen convinced his producer Patrick Leonard to abandon his hang-ups about using sampled instruments.
Dec 2014 by Paul Tingen

The Leonards: Patrick Leonard (left) and Leonard Cohen at work in the latter’s house.

Much of the music on Popular Problems was composed by Patrick Leonard using a Mac laptop and sample libraries running in Logic, and in many cases these virtual instrument tracks survived into the final mixes.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Hartmut

Re: Popular Problems - Secrets Of The Mix Engineers

Post by Hartmut »

Thanks.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Great find, Bev.
Quote 1: "my main rule was that I could not do anything that would make the music more important than the lyrics" - I knew that, but then I presume we all do!
Quote 2: "at the end of the very last line he sings on the last song on the album, ‘You Got Me Singing’, where you can hear the sound of a dog barking in the background, from across the street. It was in time and in tune, so we left it!" - That I didn't know. I have just listened a few times - can't hear it myself, must be getting old!

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hartmut and Alan, glad you both enjoyed this information.

Alan, I hadn’t listened for the dog barking so I played the song and instantly heard it and wondered why I didn’t hear it before. So I listened again to make sure and as if by magic the bark was gone! I played it again a few more times and still couldn't hear it. Then it took me a few seconds to realise that there was indeed a dog barking at that very instant when I first listened to the song ....... but it was down the road in my own street! Ha! Such a strange coincidence!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

That's hilarious, Bev.

Myself, I can't hear the dog, sadly.

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”