Rolling Stone's Readers' Poll: 10 Best Albums of 2014

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
MarieM

Rolling Stone's Readers' Poll: 10 Best Albums of 2014

Post by MarieM »

Popular Problems made Rolling Stone's Reader's Poll!
Rolling Stone's Readers' Poll: The 10 Best Albums of 2014

Tom Petty, Lana Del Rey, U2 and more: see how our readers' ranked the year's greatest music
By Andy Greene

December 17, 2014

As D'Angelo just taught us with the surprise release of his astoundingly great LP Black Messiah, the year in music ain't over until it's over. For all we know, Madonna, Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar and Adele are going to drop surprise albums sometime before the ball drops. (They probably won't.) But back in those pre-Black Messiah days of last week we asked our readers to vote for their favorite albums of the year. Here are the results.

10 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, 'Hypnotic Eye'

9 The Black Keys, 'Turn Blue'

8 Leonard Cohen, 'Popular Problems'
Leonard Cohen's amazing comeback that began with his 2008 tour and his 2012 disc Old Ideas continued this year with Popular Problems, his 13th LP since emerging on the scene back in 1967. The disc is produced by Patrick Leonard, best known for his work with Madonna in the 1980s. "We were both, I think, quite compassionately savage about our vision," Cohen told Rolling Stone. "If something's obscure or just on the wrong side of accessible, then Pat will mention that and I'll happily redirect." Check out the songs "Almost Like the Blues" and "Nevermind." They are some of the greatest songs ever produced by an octogenarian.

7 The War on Drugs, 'Lost in the Dream'

6 Beck, 'Morning Phase'

5 Pink Floyd, 'The Endless River'

4 Jack White, 'Lazaretto'

3 Lana Del Rey, 'Ultraviolence'

2 U2, 'Songs of Innocence'

1 Foo Fighters, 'Sonic Highways'

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... z3MHy7SGST
Heads up on this article thanks to Roy of LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
Marie
Speaking Cohen
songwriter

Re: Rolling Stone's Readers' Poll: 10 Best Albums of 2014

Post by songwriter »

foo fighters at 1 and u2 at 2 make that list lose a lot of credibility though! :lol:
MattW

Re: Rolling Stone's Readers' Poll: 10 Best Albums of 2014

Post by MattW »

songwriter wrote:foo fighters at 1 and u2 at 2 make that list lose a lot of credibility though! :lol:
Why? It's a reader's poll, not a critics' year-end best-of list. While I don't like the U2 or Foo Fighters record, I can imagine them winning a readers' poll.

Matt

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”