Live in Dublin Sound

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
Goldin

Re: Live in Dublin Sound

Postby Goldin » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:38 pm

Vicomte wrote:Millions of people don't agree with me, care to name say just 100 people out of those millions?
Count me in, please (a few minutes ago you were asking for just 50 names 8) ). "You sing so pretty" remark sounds unjustifiably ludicrous now, as well as LC's interuption at the beginning of the 1st chorus (by the way, he's smiling at that moment - doesn't that mean anything?)...
Roman aka Hermitage Prisoner
Vicomte

Postby Vicomte » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:20 am

It was actually 500 but I made it easier by offering a 100. :lol:
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2017 and fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
songwriter

Postby songwriter » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:25 pm

Vicomte wrote:
Mikeaus wrote:Vicomte, it's wonderful to see that neither Leonard nor the millions of people who have had the pleasure of experiencing his concerts do not share your views. Addressing the Dublin audience at the end of that amazing concert, Leonard said "It's been a great joy for me to be united with you in the pleasure of song"

It sounds like you are the one who is out of tune!
Millions of people don't agree with me, care to name say just 100 people out of those millions?

There is a vast difference between being present at such a gig and quite another to sell it others on a CD who really just want to hear the songs from the wordsmith himself and of course to hear the instruments and voices of the other very serious artists. As I have stated, So Long Marianne,well OK, even the encores have an element of singalong for those who wish to join in but sorry, after almost what seems a lifetime, this is not my want from a Cohen gig. After all, how long until some audiences turn the concerts in to a congalonga Max type gig :roll:

Vicomte just to assure you I wholeheartedly share your views.

I wish London had again been chosen for the live release as audiences there tend to watch in a much more respectful silence (apart from to applaud at the appropriate time at the end of each song).
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:44 pm

songwriter wrote:I wish London had again been chosen for the live release as audiences there tend to watch in a much more respectful silence (apart from to applaud at the appropriate time at the end of each song).
I couldn't agree with you less songwriter. London audiences (like New York audiences) tend to be full of people who can afford the VIP packages but aren't very interested in the show so they just talk their way through the music. We begged to be moved at the first O2 show because of the disruption caused by a bunch of drunken "VIPs". And you get just the same rush to the front and "community singing" through the encores in London as you do in Dublin!

Wendy
Mikeaus

Postby Mikeaus » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:54 am

Just finished watching the entire concert. It was brilliant. The sound was perfect.
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
Vicomte

Postby Vicomte » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:49 pm

Mabeanie1 wrote:
songwriter wrote:I wish London had again been chosen for the live release as audiences there tend to watch in a much more respectful silence (apart from to applaud at the appropriate time at the end of each song).
I couldn't agree with you less songwriter. London audiences (like New York audiences) tend to be full of people who can afford the VIP packages but aren't very interested in the show so they just talk their way through the music. We begged to be moved at the first O2 show because of the disruption caused by a bunch of drunken "VIPs". And you get just the same rush to the front and "community singing" through the encores in London as you do in Dublin!

Wendy
Never found that at Wembley last time, Wendy (the concert that was "swapped"from Kent) we had front row just along from where I think you were, apologies if it wasn't you but a chap well known on here said it was you. Yes of course, it is rarer than hens teeth not to see people come down to the front for the encores at the end of most performances anywhere and as I have stated before, it can indeed make a nice ending to a good night.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2017 and fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
Vicomte

Postby Vicomte » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:53 pm

Mikeaus wrote:Just finished watching the entire concert. It was brilliant. The sound was perfect.
Well Sony obviously didn't agree with you as to making it sound like a congalonga time. So all those millions are going to be disappointed then !! :lol: :lol:
Neil from The Young Ones
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:52 am

Vicomte wrote:
Mabeanie1 wrote:

Wendy
Never found that at Wembley last time, Wendy (the concert that was "swapped"from Kent) we had front row just along from where I think you were, apologies if it wasn't you but a chap well known on here said it was you. Yes of course, it is rarer than hens teeth not to see people come down to the front for the encores at the end of most performances anywhere and as I have stated before, it can indeed make a nice ending to a good night.
I have to admit, I was thinking more of the O2 shows. I didn't have any particular problem at Wembley either but a friend elsewhere at the front had a terrible experience with a group of party girls who most definitely were not there to listen to Leonard Cohen in "respectful silence".

BTW the crowds at the front for the encores is very much a European phenomenon. It doesn't typically happen in North America and it hasn't happened at the Australian and NZ concerts I've been to either.

Wendy
LenMaster

Postby LenMaster » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:39 am

The sound on my copy is just like the bits and pieces we heard here... I don't think that is a good thing. The sound is consistent all the way through the 3 cd set, but it sounds lifeless, flat, messy. A missed opportunity.
jerry

Postby jerry » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:47 am

LenMaster wrote:The sound on my copy is just like the bits and pieces we heard here... I don't think that is a good thing. The sound is consistent all the way through the 3 cd set, but it sounds lifeless, flat, messy. A missed opportunity.
How can that be when people who have the set say it sounds great? Someone is wrong.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
cohenadmirer

Postby cohenadmirer » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:31 am

jerry wrote:
LenMaster wrote:The sound on my copy is just like the bits and pieces we heard here... I don't think that is a good thing. The sound is consistent all the way through the 3 cd set, but it sounds lifeless, flat, messy. A missed opportunity.
How can that be when people who have the set say it sounds great? Someone is wrong.
Haven't listened to the cds , but the 5.1 sound on the blu ray is superb ( and perfect synch with the video)- at least on my equipment ! Audience sounds are a little too muted but a little more audible where it counts (eg So long Marianne ) than on the you tube or audio streams we were offered before the official release.

Possibly the best dvd/bluray concert sound i have heard and from the previews wasn't expecting to say that.
Last edited by cohenadmirer on Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
LenMaster

Postby LenMaster » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:36 am

jerry wrote:
I might be wrong, allthough i am just speaking my mind here.
jerry

Postby jerry » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:57 am

LenMaster wrote:
jerry wrote:
I might be wrong, allthough i am just speaking my mind here.
You could be right. Some of the the newer samples I've heard sound sterile. Like I said in another post it's almost as though they took a live recording and tried to make it sound like a studio recording. Too perfect.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
Bennyboy

Postby Bennyboy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:20 am

CD mix sounds pretty ace to my ears.
JudasPriest

Postby JudasPriest » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:15 pm

Ok- listened to the ITunes version once straight through but was on a plane so even with noise cancelling ear buds can't offer a definitive view yet but surface impressions are its a lot better than I feared but that's setting the starting point at a very low level. I'd prefer the mix to breathe more but having said that, there is more audience presence than the samples had suggested. Not as atmospheric as Songs From The Road but not as sterile as I feared it might be. Overall I enjoyed it a lot although expectation is a tricky thing. Quite possible if I heard none of the pre release samples - or this discussion re same - I'd be disappointed that the essence of a live Dublin Leonard gig (well, the good bits at any rate) hadn't translated well but my overriding feeling at the moment is relief. I forgot about sound issues for the majority of the 1st listen and enjoyed the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”