Live in Dublin Sound

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
holydove

Re: Live in Dublin Sound

Post by holydove »

James T wrote:It's worth noting there is no problem with the sound at all, just a mix that isn't to some people's liking. Some of my favourite albums aren't mixed to my liking, but if that is how those who worked on the album intend it to sound we can't complain too much.
Well said, James T., & based on the DVD (I haven't listened yet to the CD's), I totally agree. One thing that's going on is that Live in Dublin doesn't have a "concert hall" sound (which Live in London did have), & I wonder if that's what some people object to. Often, musicians record in a little room, & through technology, give the recording a concert hall sound. Here, uniquely, the opposite was done: the recording in a huge arena has been given a more natural, in-your-living-room (or in-your-bedroom) type sound, & I think that was a lovely, brilliant idea, which, along with the expert camera work, creates a very intimate, up-close & personal experience, which, in my perception, is very beautiful, & I'm sure that it was very deliberately done that way. When I watch/hear the Dublin DVD, not only do I feel like I'm there, but I feel like I'm the only one there. When I watch Live in London, I never forget that we're in a massive arena-turned-concert hall, & when I watch Dublin, I almost never remember that we're in a huge arena. So yes, there is nothing poor or bad, or better or worse, about it; it's simply a matter of preference. I love both productions, but personally, if I have to choose, I prefer having Leonard & the band in my bedroom. . .
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

So I picked up my copy of the album on Friday, after a delay due to the local shop ordering the DVD version instead of the Blu Ray I had requested. Anyway, having read all the comments on the sound quality of the album I was a bit worried about what I was going to hear. I popped the CDs into my car stereo (I have a VW with the Fender Premium sound system so everything always sounds great in the car) and was disappointed when the opening of Dance Me started. Compared to other live albums both by LC and other artists the sound did sound a bit disconnected and off the mark to me. Then a lucky thing happened to me later in the afternoon that made me realize I was wrong about the sound. I usually like to listen to LC at a lower volume setting than most other artists I listen to. As such when I was listening to the album at first I had the sound down to my usual LC level (about 25% of max volume). Then I was stuck in traffic for a bit in Philadelphia trying to get past a work crew who was digging up the street with a jack hammer and backhoe making all sorts of racket. So while I was sitting there I had to turn the sound way up (to about 70% of max volume, which is much louder than I ever listen to LC) to try to drown out the sound of the jack hammer. Once I turned the sound up it all seemed to come together. What I was hearing earlier as a murky mix was suddenly much more lively and more spot on to what I remember hearing while at the concerts. Since then I listened to the rest of the album at the highier volume and also replayed the 1st disc, which I had previously listened to at the lower volume, and everything sounds great to my ears. I will admit the fact that the mix begs to be listened to at such a high volume is a bit off putting to me since I usually like LC at the lower volumes. But, I do not feel the sound is flawed as others have said. It just requires you to be in a frame of mind that you are going to listen to the album in such a way and at such a volume that makes it the center of attention just like you are actually there at the concert, and not just playing in background as you drive along going about your day. Maybe that's just me, but, I would suggest to anyone who is unhappy with the sound to try turning it up loud and giving it another go. Now the way the audience sounds are mixed in is a different matter all together which I can see being a problem for those who like the sound of the sing-alongs and such. I really don't care one way or the other about those matters so will not voice any opinion on that subject.
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
jerry

Post by jerry »

I just played Dublin and Live In London at the same time switching back and forth between the two. London sounds more dynamic. Dublin sounds as though the high end has been cut off.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

jerry wrote:I just played Dublin and Live In London at the same time switching back and forth between the two. London sounds more dynamic. Dublin sounds as though the high end has been cut off.
That's what I was getting too, but to me it sounded better as the volume was raised to a highier setting. I will try the same switching of London vs Dublin discs the next time I'm in my car, but, I think if I try to listen to London at the same volume as I like Dublin at I will end up with distorted sound and/or one hell of a headache.
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
jerry

Post by jerry »

I have an actual stereo. Big JBL speakers and 100 watt per channel receiver and a high end cd player. Possibly peoples opinions of the sound are different depending on how they are listening? My system is much more revealing than an ipod or smaller music system would be.
Last edited by jerry on Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
hans_3333

Post by hans_3333 »

I love surround music. Live in London has a great surround mix, so for Live in Dublin I had high hopes. Unfortunately the sound on this DVD turned out to be far worse. Both the centre and LFE channels are completely silent throughout the performance. The rear channels are very weak, with the exception of the occasional applause. The sound is supposed to be AC3 5.1. But it really isn't. Huge disappointment.
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

jerry wrote:I have a an actual stereo. Big JBL speakers and 100 watt per channel receiver and a high end cd player. Possibly peoples opinions of the sound are different depending on how they are listening? My system is much more revealing than an ipod or smaller music system would be.
That's true. I can't stand ipod/mp3 recordings of anything since they all sound like total rubbish to me. I also have a similar high end home audio system and will be putting it to good use later in the week when I have a few hours to sit down and watch the video. Will see if I notice any changes in the mix on the video version.
James T

Post by James T »

I don't understand the logic saying that they need to admit there is a problem with the cd, there isn't! If you don't like the mix, fair enough. There is no way the mix is a mistake, they want it to sound that way. This is a strange debate. You can say you don't like it, you can say you do; but I feel some of the criticism on here is kind of unfair on Leonard and those involved. People will have broken their balls to get this release out to fans, so lets all have a bit more respect for that eh.
jerry

Post by jerry »

James T wrote:I don't understand the logic saying that they need to admit there is a problem with the cd, there isn't! If you don't like the mix, fair enough. There is no way the mix is a mistake, they want it to sound that way. This is a strange debate. You can say you don't like it, you can say you do; but I feel some of the criticism on here is kind of unfair on Leonard and those involved. People will have broken their balls to get this release out to fans, so lets all have a bit more respect for that eh.
Well both Amazon USA and Amazon UK have stopped selling the cd/bluray set. I don't know why. Sound related issues or something else?
Leonard Cohen
surrender

Post by surrender »

I've thought that the problem was in the leaflet, but I was wrong. My excuses for the confusion I've caused. The order of the songs in the leaflet is correct.
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
James T

Post by James T »

If the sound was the issue, they would also put a stop sale on the cd/dvd version also.
songwriter

Post by songwriter »

jerry wrote:I have an actual stereo. Big JBL speakers and 100 watt per channel receiver and a high end cd player. Possibly peoples opinions of the sound are different depending on how they are listening? My system is much more revealing than an ipod or smaller music system would be.

I've played it at home on my (close to the) top of the range stereo system and an ipod and in my opinion the sound on both of them is very very poor. The London gig on the other hand is fantastic however you choose to play it.

A deeply upsetting missed opportunity. I cannot imagine ever listening to it again, as all it is doing is tarnishing my memories of what was one of the best gigs I've ever seen live.

I hope whoever put together this CD never works with any of my other favorite artists! :lol:
Andre Ronda

Post by Andre Ronda »

I downloaded/purchased CD version of Live in Dublin couple days ago from iTunes and didn't enjoy the overall sound at all and especially the vocal part. As some members of this forum rightfully described as flat and lack of depth. It is then that I discovered this forum and people sharing a similar frustration. It strengthens me in my idea that a corrected re-download should be made available. Will see.
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

A day or two ago "bigdee" recommended that anyone unhappy with the sound/mix on "Live in Dublin" try turning up the volume.

I had watched/listened to the DVD once all the way through plus a few snippets previously and tended to agree with those saying there was just something in the sound/mix that was not quite right. So, I took "bigdee's" advice and watched it again last night at a higher volume. (Now by higher volume, I mean slightly higher, not the level I like to use when my wife is not around.)

The result was a much better listening experience. Somehow, the problem at lower volumes where the band seemed to be undermixed with respect to Leonard's voice seemed to be ameliorated, and yet in a way that did not diminish the clarity and strength of Leonard's vocals. I know this does not make sense, as presumably raising the volume would affect the instruments and vocals equally, but nevertheless it seemed to work for me.

I suggest others give the higher volume fix a try. (Curiously, a 1990 film that featured "Everybody Knows" in the beginning segment was titled, "Pump Up the Volume.")

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
holydove

Post by holydove »

In case this could help anyone: we have the blu-ray version of the DVD, & when we hit the "audio" button on the remote for the bluray player, & let the Mbps go lower, that changed the sound dramatically - the volume & quality of the sound automatically increased, & 1.7 or 1.6 seem to be the best levels. I don't know why that worked, but it did. We never had to do that with any other disc, so maybe this disc has some kind of advanced technology embedded, that needs a lower Mbps. Anyway, maybe that will be helpful for others who have the bluray.

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”