Live in Dublin Sound

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
songwriter

Re: Live in Dublin Sound

Post by songwriter »

Athnuachan wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:I am listening as I type, and through these headphones it sounds superb - rich and atmospheric and nuanced. Don't know what you're moaning about.
Well said, Bennyboy.
There will always be a few who like to claim superior technical knowledge and will complain about ANYTHING released.
Fine. They are entitled to their opinion.
My opinion is that this is excellent.

I have spent two blissful evenings watching the DVD, one on an old TV and DVD player, the other on a modern combo.
Both made me very happy. (Better sound on the first, better picture on the second - of course it will vary depending on the equipment on which you play it. )

Nothing can ever equal the bliss of actually being there that night, ( the joyful audience participation in the encores is not audible on the DVD , which will please some! ) but this comes as close as possible. With a bonus - then there was the feeling that this is wonderful but it is passing, now here it is preserved on disc to be enjoyed again and again! We are so lucky.

Thank you to all involved.

I have zero technical knowledge but when compared alongside the live in london cd the sound is clearly inferior.

Perhaps your love for Leonard is such that you cannot bear to criticize him even in this tiny manner, and I must respect you for that.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

I hope nobody is put off buying this by the few negative reviews.
I respect all views , but find it hard to relate to them in this case.
( especially the notion that the vocals sound ' flat and raspy' and the band 'tired')
Leonard and the band did what they promised every night of the tour ( "give it everything we got") and clearly enjoy playing in Dublin
This is a superb release in my humble opinion!
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
James T

Post by James T »

I agree that this is a fantastic release, and I possibly even prefer it to the London release.

There is nothing wrong with the sound at all, though I can see why some may not totally enjoy the mix. The vocals at times are little too far forward in the mix, but I don't mind. The hammond sounds fantastic on it, as does Javier and his superb playing.

Will there be a vinyl release I wonder?
Boss

Post by Boss »

songwriter wrote:
Cheshire gal wrote:
It is Leonard at his best.

That's really interesting. I always think Leonard around the time of Live in Isle of Wight is him at this best. I love the current Leonard, but I do believe his absolute peak was many decades ago.

Just my humble opinion of course.
Ah, but he (and we) didn't know 'the future' way back then.

---

Got my 'Live in Dublin' on iPad last night. Been listening and am very happy.
This little man in his very secret life owes so very much to this Canadian maestro.

Boss
'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer' - Albert Camus
chillymidnight

Post by chillymidnight »

Hi - I went onto this site to look for something about the sound on Live in Dublin. Haven't read all the posts yet as I wanted to say what my initial reaction to my (non blu ray) dvd is: I keep thinking it's my imagination but the sound seems very flat and far away to me and I'm not particularly a sound fanatic. I have played Live in London dvd a lot and I notice the difference. I remember watching youtube videos with better sound on my laptop. Now I'll read your posts ... Sue
There's music on Clinton Street all through the evening.
Paris 2012, Toronto 2012 x2. Paris 2013, London 2013 x 2, Rotterdam 2013, Amsterdam 2013
LenMaster

Post by LenMaster »

What i find curious is that the sound on dvd plays out well, while the sound on cd lacks depth and resolution, i don't know how else to put it. I am grateful for this release, but it won't be my to go to live album.
jerry

Post by jerry »

I'll still get the 3cd/bluray but I'm in no hurry now after hearing all the sound comments. From the samples weeks ago I was using the word flat and lifeless and it looks like many people are confirming what I first heard.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
holydove

Post by holydove »

I watched the Dublin DVD last night & I love it. The visual is extremely vivid & the audio is crystal clear - every beautiful nuance, shade & layering of sound is captured perfectly. It felt so real, it was like I was being given my own private concert in my living room. I don't think it's necessary to compare, but if anything, IMO, the Dublin production is even more refined & sophisticated than Live in London (which I still love just as much), as is the amazing performance by Leonard & the band that night in Dublin - every move, every note, every syllable, is so incredibly precise, & the interpretations so marvelously sensitive & expressive; & the video gloriously magnifies the mezmerizing beauty, perfection & richness of it all. We are so lucky that it's been possible to capture & preserve these brilliant performances & I want to thank Leonard Cohen & the UHTC, & everyone involved in the production, for this very special priceless gift.

Dear Leonard, I truly want you to do what is best for you, but I want you to know that it would be a most welcome & ecstatic serendipity if what is best for you includes coming back to us someday. I send you my eternal gratitude & love.
dick

Post by dick »

Agree with praise of Holy Dove. Got mine yesterday, and even included an $8 credit because pre-order was higher.

Sound and picture both fantastic, and the performances are sublime.

Congrats and thanks to all involved.
terok

Post by terok »

James T wrote: Will there be a vinyl release I wonder?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Dublin-5-L ... +in+dublin
UK-Amazon is listing a 5-lp box-set. No release date yet, though.

Edit: Also found on Cdon with preliminary release date being January 21st 2015.
http://cdon.fi/musiikki/cohen%2c_leonar ... D-30523783
Last edited by terok on Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

jerry wrote: From the samples weeks ago I was using the word flat and lifeless and it looks like many people are confirming what I first heard.
How about listening to the actual DVD/CD s before you pass judgment? :razz:
And how about replacing the word " many" in your comment here with the words "a few" ?
In the interests of accuracy...
Ring the bells that still can ring...
jerry

Post by jerry »

Athnuachan wrote:
jerry wrote: From the samples weeks ago I was using the word flat and lifeless and it looks like many people are confirming what I first heard.
How about listening to the actual DVD/CD s before you pass judgment? :razz:
And how about replacing the word " many" in your comment here with the words "a few" ?
In the interests of accuracy...
I have and now reviewers on Amazon and elsewhere are complaining about the poor mix.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

jerry wrote:now reviewers on Amazon and elsewhere are complaining about the poor mix.
In the interests of balance, I think it is worth pointing out that there are currently 5 reviews on Amazon UK, 6 reviews on Amazon.com. All are 5* reviews apart from one 2* review by someone called Paul Adams who commented: "Amazing performances let down by quite possibly the sloppiest and least effective audio mixes I've ever heard. Vocal too high over the band, featured performances buried. Was the audio even mixed post performance I wonder. Very disappointing."

I haven't had a chance to watch/ listen to the official release yet so can't comment.

Wendy
James T

Post by James T »

It's worth noting there is no problem with the sound at all, just a mix that isn't to some people's liking. Some of my favourite albums aren't mixed to my liking, but if that is how those who worked on the album intend it to sound we can't complain too much.

Also, thanks for the info on the vinyl LP. Interested to hear how they've mastered it.
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

I am quite shocked by this "live" album having hoped it would be a fine moment of several great concerts I saw I doubt I will ever listen to it again.

The record company needs to admit their is a problem and the CD needs to be withdrawn and re mixed either from the Dublin recording or another but as it stands it is a sad reflection of one of the greatest tours in the history of popular music by one of the true legends of popular music giving one of his greatest performances at such a ripe old age.

As it is this is sadly a "dead album"

Each member of the band plus of course leoanard seem to have been separated from each other and their output placed side by side to each other as if it was a studio recording.

For many people Sharon Robinson's rendition of Alexandra leaving was the highlight of these shows and I cry every time I watch you tube versions recorded by members of the audience on simple recoding devices. So I went almost straight to this track to ensure my take on the album was right and found that the emotion in her voice and sheer presence are totally non existent on the CD.

I do not know about recording and mixing and such things so I cannot give any technical criticism of this album but I can vote with my ears and I will not be listening to this album again in its current condition.
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”