Live in Dublin Sound

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
holydove

Re: Live in Dublin Sound

Post by holydove »

I had to find the right settings on my sound system, but once I did, the sound on this recording is fantastic at any volume. When I listen, I feel like I'm sitting right in the center of the monitors on the stage, or even like I'm sitting inside the soundboard. Every tone & nuance of every voice & instrument is absolutely crystal clear; in terms of the sound, it's even better than being there live - it's so incredibly immediate & intimate. There is nothing at all between me & the music, which makes it a very intense experience, & the energy of it stays with me long after the recording has ended. This is a brilliant production, & I have to give thanks again to everyone involved. It's the best live concert recording that I've ever seen or heard.
AlexandraLaughing

Post by AlexandraLaughing »

I'm not a recording geek, but the CD sound of LID well suits my low-quality playing equipment- it's good and sharp. And judging from the DVD visuals, I would guess they had to do a bit of tweaking to get Leonard to the foreground at some points.

As for whether Leonard is great- well, how many other 79-year olds have you seen and heard hold a major stadium like that, even with the 'bodyguards'? Since we can all hope to live to 100 now, we can expect to be turning to each other aged 96 and saying 'Aw, isn't he such a cute kid- so much promise- he'll be even better when he grows up!'.
jerry

Post by jerry »

Bodyguards?
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
AlexandraLaughing

Post by AlexandraLaughing »

I can't remember which reviewer talked about LC always having a 'female bodyguard' of backing singers when he sings live concerts- I thought it was quite an apt description.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

AlexandraLaughing wrote:I can't remember which reviewer talked about LC always having a 'female bodyguard' of backing singers when he sings live concerts- I thought it was quite an apt description.
Perhaps a kind of ' voice guard' , since he seems to think his raw voice would be too much without beautiful female voices harmonising on most songs , and taking over on some !
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

I have just watched the DVD of Dublin Live for the first time and I feel it should be called Dublin Dead instead! How could they have got it it so wrong? It sounds as if the audience are not at all present and as if canned applause is inserted now and again to sound more "live". Would these nerds who put this together please get bac k to their mixing desks and take into account that this is "live? Could I make the humble suggestion that they ask a few "ordinary" fans to approve the final product? This is soulless. I was at the concert but this bears no relation to the actual experience of being presengt. A big disappointment! This was not the concert I attended.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
Jean Fournell

Post by Jean Fournell »

Instead of sending my money back, they preferred to send me a new copy first.

And that DVD is perfect ! (At least on my rather basic equipment.)

So my latest hypothesis (for what it's worth) is that there seems to be a number of flawed copies in circulation. But not all of them are flawed.

"There is no need that this survive" but I'm really glad that it does !

... for a while
... for a little while...

(Just a filthy beggar blessing / What happens to the heart)
FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD »

holydove wrote:I had to find the right settings on my sound system, but once I did, the sound on this recording is fantastic at any volume. When I listen, I feel like I'm sitting right in the center of the monitors on the stage, or even like I'm sitting inside the soundboard. Every tone & nuance of every voice & instrument is absolutely crystal clear; in terms of the sound, it's even better than being there live - it's so incredibly immediate & intimate. There is nothing at all between me & the music, which makes it a very intense experience, & the energy of it stays with me long after the recording has ended. This is a brilliant production, & I have to give thanks again to everyone involved. It's the best live concert recording that I've ever seen or heard.
I have been to a few concerts and I can hear things in this recording that I have never heard live. It is exactly like sitting in the sound board, I agree with holydove. That however is a huge disappointment for me. The pleasure of a live concert has to do with the experience of being there. Perfect sound at home - or being part of an audience? - I would be in the audience.
I have travelled to Ireland for concerts rather than go to some in the UK because the atmosphere there is so special. Why record in front of one of the best audiences in the world only to make it sound like a studio recording?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgEiDc1aXr0 "soundboard"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC5xv3JKy8E by Albert Noonan ( I know it is not an identical video)
Leonard plays for and responds to the audience - this recording at times is more like playing to an empty room.

The press release said " Live In Dublin recreates the deep emotional connection that audiences felt so powerfully and critics praised universally with five-star reviews during Cohen's most recent tour."

I sadly disagree, it doesn't even get close and that is the disappointment.
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013
jerry

Post by jerry »

Eventually I'll get Dublin despite the sound issues. But this is the first Cohen album in over 40 years that I didn't get on release day!
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
davidrichards

Post by davidrichards »

Having just watched the DVD for the first time I am seriously wondering whether I have a faulty copy or whether it is something to do with the original recording (which I doubt). The problem is the minute differences in synchronisation between audio and video. The fingers on the guitar and violin fingerboards do not match the sound perfectly and the vocals look as though they have been dubbed, as the movement of the mouths of all those singing does not match the sound perfectly. Has anyone else noticed this please? It does become most annoying after a while.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

davidrichards wrote:Having just watched the DVD for the first time I am seriously wondering whether I have a faulty copy or whether it is something to do with the original recording (which I doubt). The problem is the minute differences in synchronisation between audio and video. The fingers on the guitar and violin fingerboards do not match the sound perfectly and the vocals look as though they have been dubbed, as the movement of the mouths of all those singing does not match the sound perfectly. Has anyone else noticed this please? It does become most annoying after a while.
My DVD has this problem, too. It is, indeed, most annoying.
anny

Post by anny »

LisaLCFan wrote:
davidrichards wrote:Having just watched the DVD for the first time I am seriously wondering whether I have a faulty copy or whether it is something to do with the original recording (which I doubt). The problem is the minute differences in synchronisation between audio and video. The fingers on the guitar and violin fingerboards do not match the sound perfectly and the vocals look as though they have been dubbed, as the movement of the mouths of all those singing does not match the sound perfectly. Has anyone else noticed this please? It does become most annoying after a while.
My DVD has this problem, too. It is, indeed, most annoying.

my dvd had the same problem, sent the whole set (3cd/dvd) back and got my money back, I had to put the volume triple as high
as I'm used to and on top of that I had BIG problems with the colours, everything on stage was like strong shining diamonds, very
annoying to watch. so now I'm hesitating to buy a new set, maybe they still have the fault copies. Anyone has that colour problem too? I'm very dissapointed en very sad 'cause now I have nothing !!! :(
jerry

Post by jerry »

I'm not sure that any of these copies are actually faulty. I haven't heard anything about faulty copies on any of the many Amazon reviews and elsewhere. It may just be that Dublin was just poorly mixed and produced?
Leonard Cohen
davidrichards

Post by davidrichards »

Jerry wrote

"I'm not sure that any of these copies are actually faulty. I haven't heard anything about faulty copies on any of the many Amazon reviews and elsewhere. It may just be that Dublin was just poorly mixed and produced?"
I find it hard to believe that this is a fault with the recording and it certainly cannot be due to poor mixing as that is a totally separate issue. I would suspect that the problem lies in the copying process though I would have hoped that Sony's quality checks would have found this before the CD/DVD package "hit the market".
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 »

Haven't bought this yet and - reading the previous 9 pages - don't think I will. Jeeez guys, get a life.
To live outside the law you must be honest

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”