Live in Dublin Sound

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
icecreamtruck

Live in Dublin Sound

Post by icecreamtruck »

I've listened to the two iTunes samples available to us so far and I'm just a bit disappointed in the vocal sound. It is so dry and the dynamic compression and reverb which he makes use of on all other recordings seems to be absent. The vocal performances themselves are strong but it's just not the definitive document of the comback that I had hoped it would be.

I was disappointed with the vocal sound on "Live in London" and I think "Songs from the Road" was a step in the right direction. Both "Cohen Live" and "Field Commander Cohen" masterfully present his vocals. The time elapsed does not account for this change, it is a technical difference in the approach of the production. I just think it is less effective.

The good news is that all the instruments are strikingly dry so the technically minded can dump the whole mix into some equipment or software and tweak it to taste. Lots of the bootlegs sound perfect too.
cohenadmirer

Re: Live in Dublin Sound

Post by cohenadmirer »

Similar observations posted in viewtopic.php?f=82&t=35547

Maybe the CDs and various sound options on DVD/ Blu ray will sound better - not everyone in ' tecnichally minded ' enough to tweak the sound .
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
icecreamtruck

Post by icecreamtruck »

Thank you. I did see those comments before but this deserves it's own topic. It's very difficult to address the crux of the problem within that thread. I'd love to hear what other people think about the treatment of Leonard's voice on Live In Dublin and how that compares to other releases. Also, I didn't say that everybody had to be "technically minded" but those who are may find themselves going the extra mile to give this thing some atmosphere. The surround sound configurations will sound better no doubt but the CDs will not. Mark my words. It's not a fidelity issue, it's a mix thing.
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

Better to delay release and get it right. It doesn't sound right to my ears. Something is missing.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
ilia

Post by ilia »

No doubt, it is brilliant performance, but I totally agree with icecreamtruck and jdhayes. "Something is missing". What happened with the sound? Where treble and medium frequencies in voice? It sounds flatly. Mixed emotions... I hope that sound engineers will revise the sound (or iTunes gives wrong impressions...).
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Don't worry guys.
You have only watched a low resolution promotional clip. It cannot be compared with the final product.
I told Ed Sanders about your worries, and he said:
I think that it must be an itunes (low resolution) problem!! It all sounds great (to me and others who have heard it!) on the CD and DVD. I think people might want to wait for the real thing!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you Jarkko and thank you Ed!
I had no worries or doubts and can hardly wait for mine to arrive in the mail.
Thanks again
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
icecreamtruck

Post by icecreamtruck »

Don't worry guys.
You have only watched a low resolution promotional clip. It cannot be compared with the final product.
I told Ed Sanders about your worries, and he said:
I think that it must be an itunes (low resolution) problem!! It all sounds great (to me and others who have heard it!) on the CD and DVD. I think people might want to wait for the real thing!
Jarkko (and Ed), I love you but this has nothing to do with resolution. The fidelity of the recording is exceptional. It does sound great. But it is a terrible mix and it looks to me that it is being received with almost universal scorn around here. Look at all the people complaining around the forum. Ed can sit back and tell the fools with their sad little sound clips and earbuds that it's "an iTunes (low resolution) problem!!!" but resolution has nothing to do with what people are complaining about. Listen again, Ed.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Not long before we have the whole in various formats, including i tunes and mp3 download purchase options. This is the way a lot of people buy music these days and thesound we are talking about is a couple of early release tracks from i tunes which sony has decided to make available for purchase now , so presumably at the same , normally acceptable, resolution which will be available when the whole thing is released :?: .
Confused therefore about the low resolution claim :?

On the video side - love the look and production of the taster tracks from vevo , but there are slight issues about 'sound and video synch' ( hope they'll sort this out on vevo and wont be an issue on the dvd/blurayy!)
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

The sound on the 2 ITunes tracks I have purchased thus far is hideous. I feel sorry for Leonard and the band that their marvellous work is being desecrated in this fashion. I fear we are past the point of no return but am keeping my fingers crossed that something can be done, even at this late stage, to salvage the digital release. Perhaps there is a way for ITunes to release a proper version which purchasers can upgrade to for free in order to fix their current product which frankly is not fit for purpose.
ilia

Post by ilia »

In my opinion, in previous releases sound was focused on Leonard voice (I was able to hear his breathing!).In this case sound is fucused on instruments. That's not bad at all, but distracts me. Back- and front- vocal is "drowning".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTc3hIEPTyo (Live in London)
vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IfmiKnZi3E (Live in Dublin)

One way or another, I would able to conclude after listening to the final product.
Last edited by ilia on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Listen to the girls come in just after the 2 min mark on Everybody Knows- it sounds horrid and I refuse to believe it was them having a rare off night.
meglos2000

Post by meglos2000 »

It sounds to me like all instruments and voices are at exactly the same sound level and this makes it all merge together unpleasantly, with no sense of it being mixed. I'll be gutted if this is how it sounds when I buy the CD, but I fear this will be the case if the official download is like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

I'd be all for them putting the release date back if that will help. It's a sonic train wreck as things stand.
jerry

Post by jerry »

JudasPriest wrote:I'd be all for them putting the release date back if that will help. It's a sonic train wreck as things stand.
There must be something that we're all missing here because it's just not possible to listen to it the way it is and think that it sounds good enough to be officially released that way.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”