The Dublin live BluRay/DVD/3CD now announced

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
fentiger

Re: The Dublin live BluRay/DVD/3CD now announced

Post by fentiger »

I don't believe that LC would let anything go out that is substandard, I agree with Jarkko, who wrote "I expect the quality to be superb - roll on Christmas, it's at the top of my wish list!
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

The problem is it is out...the digital release of both tracks are on sale and what you get for your buck is aural soup- gunge of the highest order; offensive to the ear and dispiriting to the soul.
flingwing

Post by flingwing »

JudasPriest, i dont get it......presumably the same people who brought us Live in London and Songs from the Road (neither of which could be described as "aural soup" or "gunge") were involved in the production of Live in Dublin...why therefore would the Dublin version be as bad as you suggest? Also, i cant believe that Leonard himself wouldnt be hands-on enough personally to sign-off on the final article......
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

flingwing wrote:JudasPriest, i dont get it......presumably the same people who brought us Live in London and Songs from the Road (neither of which could be described as "aural soup" or "gunge") were involved in the production of Live in Dublin...why therefore would the Dublin version be as bad as you suggest? Also, i cant believe that Leonard himself wouldnt be hands-on enough personally to sign-off on the final article......

Good questions...
jerry

Post by jerry »

Bird On A Wire. The recording still sounds incredibly flat and lifeless to me. Maybe it's just me?

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/231462/ ... om-dublin/
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Bird On The wire sounds good to me. I am happy with this. :D
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ritibi

Post by ritibi »

I am longing for the fantastic version of Songs from the road
with dino soldo and bob metzger.
That was miles better.
2009: Berlin, Prag 2010: Salzburg, Hannover 2012: Berlin, Paris

Post by guest »

jerry wrote:Bird On A Wire. The recording still sounds incredibly flat and lifeless to me. Maybe it's just me?

It's not just you! There's a lack of atmosphere, a huge stereo separation and the audience is quite distant. It certainly seems less natural than the earlier live recordings to me. Maybe we'll get used to it, because I guess it's not going to change!
jerry

Post by jerry »

Geoff wrote:
jerry wrote:Bird On A Wire. The recording still sounds incredibly flat and lifeless to me. Maybe it's just me?

It's not just you! There's a lack of atmosphere, a huge stereo separation and the audience is quite distant. It certainly seems less natural than the earlier live recordings to me. Maybe we'll get used to it, because I guess it's not going to change!
it's almost as though they took a live recording and tried to make it sound like a studio recording.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

The trailer is a bit deceptive too I suspect. It's full of atmospheric audience clapping which, based on what we've heard to date, is not representative of how it actually sounds at all. To my ears it's listenable but dry and somewhat sterile- not a patch on Songs From The Road.

Post by guest »

JudasPriest wrote:The trailer is a bit deceptive too I suspect. It's full of atmospheric audience clapping which, based on what we've heard to date, is not representative of how it actually sounds at all. To my ears it's listenable but dry and somewhat sterile- not a patch on Songs From The Road.
Yes, it's obvious that the trailer has applause edited over the music for effect. The applause doesn't fit with when it would actually be in a concert and I'm sure it's not how those parts of the tracks shown will actually sound on the DVD/CD but is just done that way for marketing purposes.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

It's interesting that Jarkko refers to the DVD of the New Zealand concert shown at the Dublin event when talking about the quality of Live in Dublin. The quality was undoubtedly superb but as a concert it was a very different proposition to Dublin. The NZ audiences are MUCH more reserved - and quieter - than the Irish audience. It's not better or worse - just very different so how to deal with audience noise would not be an issue. Also, I can't help thinking that marketing plays some part in the choice of a concert for release as a live DVD. So many big names have released a "Live in Dublin" product - Springsteen and Neil Young to name just two. "Live in Auckland" just doesn't have the same ring to it for an international audience as "Live in Dublin".

Anyway, we'll be able to judge for ourselves in little over a week.

Wendy
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I've just had a look at the website of JB Hi-Fi, an Australian music & electronics chain.
They are advertising the Blu-Ray for the same price as the DVD disc ($19-99), with the 3 CD set @ $21-99.
The combined Blu-Ray & CD set is $64-99. Something is wrong here - I would have thought that the package would be cheaper or at least the same price as the parts.
"You can add up the parts - you won't have the sum" comes to mind!
The product listing makes no mention of extras in the package - T shirt, etc.
Release date is listed as Friday = 28th November.
Also I noticed:
The Blu-Ray features bonus live tracks recorded in Canada in 2013.
Bonus Features:
Show Me The Place – Halifax, NS, Canada – April 13, 2013 – Halifax Metro Centre
Anyhow – St. Johns, NL, Canada – April 20, 2013 – Mile One Centre
Crazy To Love You – Ghent, Belgium – August 14, 2012 – St Peter's Square
Different Sides – St. John, NB, Canada – April 15, 2013 – Harbour Station

Crazy To Love You – Ghent, Belgium – August 14, 2012 – St Peter's Square has not been mentioned before as far as I can remember, and Belgium was not in Canada last time I looked.

Printing error or a very welcome surprise?

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I collected my BluRay disc and 3 CD set a couple of hours ago.
Visuals are stunning, lip-sync is spot-on and the sound is excellent.
I'm happy - no, make that delighted.
I'm amused to see Leif described in the booklets as "Guitar Technician and Boffin".
No sign of Crazy To Love You on the menu on my disc (see above).
I wonder if Jarkko has a secret code to get us to a hidden track on the disc.
The Anyhow track includes the extended taking up smoking/jazz combo introduction.

Must return to watching now.
Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
LC&LC

Post by LC&LC »

Alan
Yet another reason to wish I was in Australia right now! lucky you!!!!
Thanks for your reassuring comments about the sound quality
enjoy!
2009: Paris, Nimes, Barcelona, 2010: Caen, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Las Vegas, 2012: Ghent x2, London, Verona, Paris x3, Barcelona, Madrid, NYC, Brooklyn, 2013: NYCx2, Paris, London, Brussels, Rome, Lucca, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Pula, Manchester, London, Amsterdam, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney Opera House

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”