Popular Problems - First Impressions

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
davidrichards

Re: Popular Problems - First Impressions

Post by davidrichards »

I would go further than alb123, I wonder why he has chosen this set of musicians instead of the touring band. Maybe there are contractual difficulties but the touring band is infinitely superior to that used on this recording and "Live in London", for example, recorded "on the road", is I think a much better production with a far superior musical arrangement. Although it will not go down well with many I am sure, I am not convinced that the collaboration with Patrick Leonard does anything to enhance Leonard's work. For me it has exactly the opposite effect. Having been listening to, and collecting his recordings since the 1960's I am sadly disappointed with "Popular Problems".
jerry

Post by jerry »

I just realised that Popular Problems sounds much closer to the sound of the Spector produced Death Of A Ladies Man then it does to other LC albums.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
yentek

Post by yentek »

I have a young relative in the music business in Los Angeles - he tells me that Patrick Leonard is regarded among many in the industry as being very much Last Year's Man.
sien

Popular problems

Post by sien »

Sublime !!! Especially Did i ever love you and You got me singing!!!
More please!!!
Love
Sien
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

jerry wrote:I just realised that Popular Problems sounds much closer to the sound of the Spector produced Death Of A Ladies Man then it does to other LC albums.
It is "than" not "then." Never use "then" unless it relates to a sequence/period of time.
gibjoe

It is recognisably Lenny and not a record to be ashamed of (

Post by gibjoe »

could any of his be???) BUT musically not a highlight of his career. Still digesting the lyrics and there's a lot of good stuff there.

I'm with the opinion that to have changed the entire band has done no favours to this album. A hint of Javier Mas here, Sharon Robinson or the Webb Sisters there, would I believe have set the songs off much better. I can't help feeling that whilst the touring band had the feel of a "family" the new guys will have gone in awed at working with this living legend and basically just done what they were told rather than contribute their own ideas. Mystifying.

I don't think that, after the excitement of having new Lenny recordings passes, this album will seen to be anywhere near as strong as "Old Ideas".
jerry

Post by jerry »

LisaLCFan wrote:
jerry wrote:I just realised that Popular Problems sounds much closer to the sound of the Spector produced Death Of A Ladies Man then it does to other LC albums.
It is "than" not "then." Never use "then" unless it relates to a sequence/period of time.
Thanks for the info. Than I won't do that again.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

I'm enjoying Popular Problems. It's not "ground breaking", but Patrick Leonard has managed to write a set of strong and memorable tunes which reflect Cohen's own back catalogue and fit well below Cohen's latest poems. All the songs are good and they meld together as a satisfying LP. The record works well played on a late night journey home, and equally well on a journey to work in the morning. There's variety, there's life, there's big issues and broken hearts. It's a personal statement of a man with the gift to conjure with words. I feel the momentum of elements of my own inner life being mirrored in moments of certain songs, so there's reflection and comfort to be located in the mix. 'S'all good, Man.
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

A couple of supplemental thoughts:

1. "Samson In New Orleans" in both musical and lyrical terms has the feel of "The Day That They Wounded New York" Part II
2. Is it an accident that "My Oh My" sort of spells mom/mommy? The song strikes me as revolving around the male relationship with women generally.
Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

Superb album, really grabs you by head and shakes it.
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

The Bennyboy knows his stuff...
JessRehearsalRag

Post by JessRehearsalRag »

jerry wrote:I'm stunned at the vocals on Popular Problems. This album IS NOT Old Ideas part 2 despite the fact that both album covers have some things in common.
The vocals really struck me also. Leonards voice has changed over the years, for sure, but the measure of change just from Old Ideas in 2012 and Popular Problems just a couple years later was pretty significant. Very reminiscent of Louie Armstrong. And, as always, very, very beautiful.
lindyasimus

Post by lindyasimus »

I love the change in backing on this album. It sets it apart and if we are lucky we may get to see the old lineup on Tour for their version.
davidrichards wrote:I would go further than alb123, I wonder why he has chosen this set of musicians instead of the touring band. Maybe there are contractual difficulties but the touring band is infinitely superior to that used on this recording and "Live in London", for example, recorded "on the road", is I think a much better production with a far superior musical arrangement. Although it will not go down well with many I am sure, I am not convinced that the collaboration with Patrick Leonard does anything to enhance Leonard's work. For me it has exactly the opposite effect. Having been listening to, and collecting his recordings since the 1960's I am sadly disappointed with "Popular Problems".
Zoe Herdman

Post by Zoe Herdman »

I agree. Initially shocked and disappointed that he didn't use The Webb Sisters or Sharon Robinson. So hope it's not permanent. But it's still a great album, have been listening to it non stop. Does anyone know if Leonard will be touring again? Selfish, I know, so soon after Old Ideas tour, but..... you know...... If you ever read your forums, Leonard, can I ask you to a. Keep collaborating with The Webbs and Sharon; b. PLEASE tour again, and c. If you do tour, any possibility of smaller, more intimate venues? The O2 just isnt really you. But I know your fan base is so huge you probably have no choice. A friend of mine who I am trying to get into Leonard, said "Wouldn't it be more in keeping with his Buddhist practice to play venues more accessible to people who can't get to huge arena's in big cities?". May I humbly suggest she has a point......?

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”