Pre release streaming in Europe...and worldwide

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
Jean Fournell

Re: Pre release streaming in Europe...and worldwide

Post by Jean Fournell » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:08 pm

Yep. Wonder what kind of muse the author of that talk-along was kissed by.

... for a while
... for a little while...

(Just a filthy beggar blessing / What happens to the heart)
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:34 pm

I'm finding the negative comments about the production and arrangements tiresome. Thankfully, LC has been joyfully indifferent to the idea of making facsimile renditions of songs that have been aired on stage. Thank God he's not one of those artists who "asks the fans what they want", which would be akin to managerial, ideology-free politicians forever looking to "listen to the people", precisely because they have no idea what they're doing. LC knows exactly what he's doing, so pleas that he "should" or "should not" do this, that or the other will, thankfully, fall on deaf ears. By the way, I find the record, for the most part, delightful. And if it turns out to be his swansong, it's a fine one.
The lion and the calf shall lie down together, but the calf won't get much sleep.
jeremek

Post by jeremek » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:41 pm

http://www.deezer.com/album/8622312

tempted me...as well, that here there are only fragments of a few seconds ... I do not spoil my moment of excitement and joy when you open the disc :D
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
YuriG

Post by YuriG » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:58 pm

Full lyrics available here: http://www.leonardcohen.it/discografia/ ... -problems/ Just click on the link to enjoy while listening to Leonard's new album.

PS: These are not official lyrics, just my transcription. If any of you can improve on my work (work? work?? It was just a great pleasure!!) I'd be grateful for feedback.
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:14 pm

Listening again to the album today, I must say I love the production and arrangements. Those great and grand themes delivered in a disarming and doleful tone, but sung over an often '80s' pop soundscape has worked well for LC many times. The return of the warm, multi-instrumental, non-synthetic sound on 'Old Ideas' was wonderful, but I love this too. 'Nevermind' is crying out for a club mix. If that fills you with horror, so be it.
The lion and the calf shall lie down together, but the calf won't get much sleep.
yopietro

Post by yopietro » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:35 pm

Jim Williams wrote:I'm finding the negative comments about the production and arrangements tiresome. Thankfully, LC has been joyfully indifferent to the idea of making facsimile renditions of songs that have been aired on stage. Thank God he's not one of those artists who "asks the fans what they want", which would be akin to managerial, ideology-free politicians forever looking to "listen to the people", precisely because they have no idea what they're doing. LC knows exactly what he's doing, so pleas that he "should" or "should not" do this, that or the other will, thankfully, fall on deaf ears. By the way, I find the record, for the most part, delightful. And if it turns out to be his swansong, it's a fine one.
I suppose you must be a "real fan" then, as opposed to those tiresome dolts with their negative comments about the production of this record. :?
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:57 pm

I didn't call anyone a 'dolt' (synonyms: a stupid person, fool, nincompoop, clown, simpleton); and I have no idea what "real fan" means.
annaraven

Post by annaraven » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:10 am

I'm loving this album. Liking it better the second time through. Looking forward to the tour (whenever it happens).
RainDog1980

Post by RainDog1980 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:59 pm

I personally find this album to be much richer than Old Ideas.

Yeah, there are some obvious uses of Garage Band or some other similar program when it comes to the horns, and that was my only gripe with the production. But, on a second listen through, it really doesn't stand out as glaring as it did the first time. I feel the production is well beyond what was used for "Ten New Songs" and "Dear Heather".

Other than that, I think the production is pretty good! I love the wurlitzer and organ used in "Slow", it's nice and gritty. That's really what surprised me the most, "Slow", "A Street", and "My Oh My" are really bluesy and dirty. I think they're some of the most aggressive tracks since "The Future".

And man... when was the last time we heard LC push his voice like he does on "Did I Ever Love You?" I've heard Waits do Cohen, but never Cohen do Waits.

I can't wait for the CD to be in my hands!
DennisZ

Post by DennisZ » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:41 pm

And man... when was the last time we heard LC push his voice like he does on "Did I Ever Love You?" I've heard Waits do Cohen, but never Cohen do Waits.
That is true indeed. Another thing that happened to me by listening to that song was going through a lot of emotions from first listening to now (listening for the umpteenth time): My initial thought was too, how Tom Waits-y it sounded - at least until that up- tempo refrain broke in. I thought I didn't trust my ears, as it felt like completely spoiling the whole mood for me and getting me way out of the rest. But then his voice kicked in again- and out for the next refrain... and so on. I really had my issues with that one, didn't understand why he did it like that.

But now, having listened to it so often, it started to grow on me. And now I think: yeah, he sounds so Tom Waits-y that my expectations stayed with it to remain that way. But right then when you're lured into that he breaks it all off. Plays with the expectations. He still can surprise me after so many records. And ain't that a pretty good thing?

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”