Oh My Oh My

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
dreamermusic

Oh My Oh My

Post by dreamermusic »

Oh My Oh My,one of the Popular Problems tracks, has THE VERY SAME tune, melodic line, arrangements, chords, pattern, solo....EVERYTHING AS BANJO but the lyrics.

Isn't it a little bit odd to record 2 songs in 2 different records (and one after the other) which differ only in the lyrics?
Wish Cohen has changed everything for Oh My Oh My to have the chance to listen to a new one of his masterpieces!

Judge yourselves!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olgo3xg ... JvPXEq_Smp
-Madrid 1993 (standing up face to face to Leonard, leaning my arms upon the stage (no cams, no security line), my hands touched Cohen's feet!) (talked to Cohen for 20 minutes after concert!!!)
-Lisbon 2009 (1st row!!)
-Madrid 2012 (1st row centred facing Leonard!!)
-FOREVER
jerry

Re: Oh My Oh My

Post by jerry »

dreamermusic wrote:Oh My Oh My,one of the Popular Problems tracks, has THE VERY SAME tune, melodic line, arrangements, chords, pattern, solo....EVERYTHING AS BANJO but the lyrics.

Isn't it a little bit odd to record 2 songs in 2 different records (and one after the other) which differ only in the lyrics?
Wish Cohen has changed everything for Oh My Oh My to have the chance to listen to a new one of his masterpieces!

Judge yourselves!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olgo3xg ... JvPXEq_Smp
The video above is four years old! I'm sure the the song won't sound like Banjo on the new album.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

This is the 2010 Ghent soundcheck version of My Oh My. We all thought that the song had become Banjo. Probably Leonard kept the lyrics and has recorded a new tune, arrangement etc for the Popular Problems version of the song. We will know soon enough anyway.

Wendy
RainDog1980

Post by RainDog1980 »

Just listened back to see if the lyrics are the same.

I feel Pat Leonard's music is does this song so much more justice.
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

This is one of my favorite songs on Popular Problems, music and lyrics suit each other perfectly. A short song that won't let go of you.

The lyrics perhaps demonstrate the premise that a good writer can convey his point with a paucity of words. By my count, "Oh My Oh My" is composed of only 29 different words. Granted, many of the lines repeat and the song is not a long one, but 29 is a very small word count! By comparison, another of LC's songs that is also very short, "I Tried to Leave You," has more than twice the word count.

The music is so pretty I thought, "why didn't he add another verse to lengthen it," but I guess he felt that it said all he wanted to say, no more, no less.
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”