The absolute WORST Leonard Cohen cover ever...

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
David

The absolute WORST Leonard Cohen cover ever...

Post by David » Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:01 pm

...had to be that godawful cover of the late '60s/early '70s paperback version of "The Favorite Game" that featured a pic of a whorehouse bimbo curled up like a nymphomaniac kitten ready to pounce, along with the immoral words: "The Brave New World Of Love, Where Sex Is... THE FAVORITE GAME"!!!!

Top THAT for horrible covers, y'all!

David
"Nothing is said that is not sung."
John the Shorts

Post by John the Shorts » Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:07 pm

Bono's cover of "Hallelujah" is pretty dire too.

JTS (Just hgoing to post an addendum on Byron's latest piece of verse)
Kjelling

Post by Kjelling » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:04 pm

When it comes to worst song covers, how about Stina Nordenstam's take on "I Came So Far for Beauty" (1998)?
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:03 pm

My nominee for the worst cover of any LC song
is Elton John's "I'm your man" (at least when we speak about well-known
artists). He has missed about every nuance of L's original.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:25 pm

I haven't heard it, Jarkko ~ but your last sentence :lol: makes me wonder if I should "Just Say NO," if ever offered :lol: . Gotta work pretty hard at something :? to manage that!

~ Lizzytysh
Adrian

things to be thankful for...

Post by Adrian » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:48 pm

be thankful that William Shatner hasn't recorded any of Leonard Cohen's songs (he hasn't has be?! lol)

(actually, I enjoy Captain Kirk's "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" for its, ah, unique character)

I've not heard that Elton John cover, and, like Elizabeth, now I may be mindful to steer clear!

Thanks for the warning! :wink:

cheers, Ad
"Why music?" "Why breathing?"
mamalex

covers of leonaard cohen songs

Post by mamalex » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:21 am

i absolutely despise willie nelson's "bird on a wire". it is nothing short of a travesty!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:24 am

I haven't heard it. That bad, huh?
Kush

Post by Kush » Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:45 am

Sorry ..I love Willie Nelson's Bird on a Wire. I love most anything by Willie Nelson. I am not quite sure how we could ever agree on something like this.....I guess it boils down to taste.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:40 pm

Hmmm. That's interesting, Kush. I like Willie Nelson, too, so maybe I would like his cover, as well. I love Johnny Cash's, and I see what may be considered the "hand-sawn wood" roughness and flavour of the two maybe being similar. It may, indeed, be a matter of taste.

What do you think of Johnny Cash's, Mamalex?
Kush

Post by Kush » Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:50 am

I like Willie Nelson's conversational singing style - almost as if he is carrying out an casual yet intimate conversation with the listener. Well, I like different artistes for different reasons.
Cohen Knight

Post by Cohen Knight » Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:56 am

I heard Dylan perform "Hallelujah" live once. Doesn't stand a chance to the original but its definitly worth the effort.
I remember when I received the tribute CD featuring Bono doing Hallelujah when I was younger, and how my dad got so angry, and started ranting about how he ruined such a beautiful song. I have to agree with him though. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking someones song and making it your own, but Bono was trying to hard to change it in my oppinion. Other then that I've heard some pretty lame versions of "Coming Back To You". The people who I heard perform it turned it into a country western song or something. Way to country for me. Anyway I just thought I'd share that. :D
neveranygood

Post by neveranygood » Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:11 am

I have to agree with JTS and Jarkko. Elton John's "I'm Your Man" and Bono's "Hallelujah" are both the pits. I do like both Willie Nelson's and Johnny Cash's "Bird on the Wire". I like Rita Coolidge a lot but don't care for her "Bird on the Wire". Also I like Emmylou Harris but don't care for her "Ballad of the Absent Mare". Of course I don't care for that one by anyone, just don't like the song well enough to listen to it.

Good covers? There are a few, but you can't find so many in one place as on Jennifer Warnes' album, "Famous Blue Raincoat". She's great.

Bob
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:10 pm

Yes, I finally came to terms with the cd "Famous Blue Raincoat" by Jennifer Warnes, and now love it. For me, it's always an adjustment to reframe these songs through another person's voice and interpretation.
Zabka

worst ever cover??

Post by Zabka » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:06 am

I agree and disagree with some of your choices (totally agree that Eltons version sucks!)...but...the worst ever cover over a Leonard Cohen song was my boyfriend singing "I'm Your Man". Oh the torture, but the intention of course was gorgeous. (and he looks a lot like Leonard did about 30 years ago! LOL)
ZZ

What we have learned is like a handful of earth. What we have yet to learn is like the whole world. (Avvaiyar)

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”