jeff buckley - Hallelujah

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:48 am

I'm glad you're enjoying Allison's voice and her version of "Hallelujah", Efreet :D

The song is a real favourite in concert, and Alley has recorded another of Leonard's songs for her next album (just finished!).
"Why music?" "Why breathing?"
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:56 pm

[And Ed McMahon said.....] Which song is it, Adrian :) ?
Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:39 am

Carnac the Magnificent reveals it is...

Joan of Arc

:)

and I believe Carnac knows!

(we are riffing on Johnny Carson, are we not?!)

I hope all is well for you, Elizabeth, and everyone this Earth Week ( :

may coming seasons bring good health and much joy!

peace, Adrian
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:31 pm

Yes, that we are, Adrian :wink: :lol: . If I'd thought a tad longer, I'd have said, "Carnac s-a-a-a-y the song i-i-i-i-s-s-s.........." :) . I'm fine, thanks. Didn't take in any Earth Day/Week celebrations, however, I have in many other years ~ that's my excuse, and I'm stickin' to it :wink: . I must say that Allison's Joan of Arc is a lovely rendition :D .

~ Elizabeth
Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:24 pm

YAY!!! Glad to hear it, Elizabeth ( :

And, you are kind as always in your words. And enthusiastic. And it's much appreciated!

Allison created her "secrets" album very naturally ~ and we ended up working with the very first takes of songs she recorded in her living room "studio". There's no equalization, normalization, compression, auto-tune or any other of the now standard effects used when engineering and mastering an album of songs.

So, the music will sound a little different. And, no doubt, as Alley starts performing these tracks live, the songs will take on different tones, textures, and inflections. This album contains the very performance of "Joan of Arc" by Allison - and, it's that purity of voice we hope to capture with this album.

"secrets" will be released on May 10 (two weeks today) - and we will aim to have a sample song or two out for people to hear before then ( :

And, we're always celebrating Earth Day!

peace, Adrian
Epurcelly

Post by Epurcelly » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:23 am

No E.Q. used at all? That is very interesting. Do they use tape or digital?
Just wondering...
ep
Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:41 am

It was a very interesting process. Recording was done digitally - and the engineer was shocked (to say the least) that we didn't want any EQ or ANYthing else other than a touch of reverb on some songs.

Allison's dynamic range is quite big - and there are points at which, due to things being digital, her voice ran into the 0 db ceiling or whatever it's termed, but, essentially, her voice is heard au naturel.

I think we'd like to, at some future point, record the same way - first takes, no EQ, no normalization, compression etc. etc. - and use analog gear.

In any event, we're happy with the results - and anything we didn't gain technically, is, we hope, more than made up for in honesty of sound.

cheers, Ad
Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:08 am

Carnac sees a new thread springing forth - in which I'll post a link to Allison's version of Joan of Arc (and this can remain a Hallelujah-focussed thread!)

:wink:
zen_arcade

Post by zen_arcade » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:48 am

I couldn't agree more. As a relatively young man (21) my first exposure to Leonard Cohen came when I was eleven, when I was in the habit of voraciously consuming every band or artist mentioned by Kurt Cobain -- aright, aright, I know...but he did turn a lot of young people on to a lot of great music including the Vaselines, Velvet Underground, Cohen, etc.

Anyhow, I'm also a huge Elliott Smith fan and the only songwriter ever compared to Smith is Buckley. I'm not at all sure why (it seems their lives and stories have a lot more in common than their music), but I purchased "Grace" sure I would like it instantly. I didn't. After spending a lot of time with the record in recent weeks I've really come to appreciate the music and his voice more and "Hallelujah" nearly brings me to tears every time I hear it.

BTW, I'm new to the forum. Also zen_arcade on sweetaddy.com

Nice to meet you all.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:09 pm

Welcome to the Forum, zen_arcade :D [your name seems an oxymoron, in itself :wink: , but no matter :D ]. So, your route to Leonard means you've been listening to him for 10 years, or you were exposed to him at 11, but only now really starting to listen? So, what do you think of his newest album "Dear Heather"?

~ Lizzy
doodles

what it means?

Post by doodles » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:10 pm

"Hallelujah" is one of my favorite pieces of lyric poetry... and I was wondering what others think it means?
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:25 am

The best answer would be: exactly what it says, doodles :idea:
sebmelmoth2003

Re: jeff buckley - Hallelujah ; the devil wears prada

Post by sebmelmoth2003 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:45 pm

features in book `the devil wears prada` - uk recent paperback edition - page 309.

"so what's going on here?" he asked, nodding towards the stereo, where a positively heart-wrenching version of hallelujah was blaring.

[jeff buckley having previously been namechecked as the person whose CD was being played.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil_ ... da_(novel)

there was a movie made from the book - haven't seen the movie - but according to wikipedia neither buckley nor hallelujah feature on the soundtrack.

WHY NOT?! :cry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil_ ... rack_album

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”