Spanish version of There is a War, by Joaquín Sabina

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Nasio ~

Welcome to the Forum :D . This definition sounds like it does fit the context of this song, with the openness and desire for resolve. Especially, with Leonard's 'learning' that there is a war :wink: , the naturalness of his reaction would be to want to resolve it [the conflict] amicably, as much as possible. Thanks for bringing that clarification to the phrase.

~ Lizzy
needhelp

Re: Spanish version of There is a War, by Joaquín Sabina

Post by needhelp »

Hello,

I need help for a school project. I have to work on the song "Pie de Guerra" of Joaquin Sabina, but I don't want to give a wrong interpretation of the song. So if anyone can help me to understand the message of the song it would be a relief.

Thanks in advance.
ForYourSmile

Re: Spanish version of There is a War, by Joaquín Sabina

Post by ForYourSmile »

Hello needhelp,

I write to welcome you to the forum and so that your nickname has at least one answer, but with no hope of being able to help you. Do not expect from me a good translation or analysis.

You ask for an interpretation that allows you to understand the correct message of the song... I can only give you my interpretation; it’s difficult and absolutely questionable. It is not usual to express the personal feeling that a work produces in us, especially Cohen's, feelings that, moreover, can be temporary. I don't believe in a right interpretation of art.

Sabina credits Cohen the lyrics and music for “Pie de Guerra”. You can read in this post that he said it was a “traducción libérrima”, something like a very free translation. In my opinion, it is not at all a song that can be attributed to Cohen, it is not a translation, nor an adaptation, nor a version, nor a cover. Simply Sabina, inspired by “There is a War”, composes a new song and plays to modify its meaning with that request for conciliation. That bothered me at the time, now I consider it a joke.

Maybe the easy key to the song is at the beginning of Pie de Guerra “Están en guerra el hombre y la mujer” is the point closest to a literal translation of the entire song (“A war between the man and the woman” Cohen). In my opinion, Cohen in this song and in some moments on the album New Skin for the Old Ceremony (1974 with There Is a War) expresses the harshness of marriage at the end of his relationship with the mother of his children. (Cohen was never married although he did demonstrate enormous fatherly responsibility).

As has been said here, the two poems are constructed with a confrontation of opposites. The movement and action are generated by the attraction and repulsion, for example in an electric motor and in love.

Opposite characters appear in “Is This What You Wanted?” with the Cohen's great sense of humour, a wonderful song also from New Skin

Sabina has used the resource of sequence of images and characters in his work to the point of boredom. He has been a mid level trainee.

Good luck in your school project ;-)

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”