Songs for Suzanne Feb 5 Melbourne

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
Junk

Songs for Suzanne Feb 5 Melbourne

Post by Junk »

Feb 05 2022
Saturday 08:00 pm
Sat8:00 PM
St Kilda, VIC Palais Theatre Songs For Suzanne: The Music and Poetry of Leonard Cohen

https://www.ticketmaster.com.au/search? ... der_search

About Songs For Suzanne: The Music and Poetry of Leonard Cohen

Debra Byrne, Henry Wagons, Rebecca Barnard, Delsinki, and Alma Zygier perform dazzling renditions of songs from Leonard Cohen’s classic early albums.

Standards including “Bird On A Wire”, “So Long, Marianne”, “Avalanche”, “Hallelujah”, and “Famous Blue Raincoat”, will feature alongside many songs never performed by the man himself on Australian tours. Audiences will be spellbound by Cohen favourites from notable albums Songs of Leonard Cohen, Songs from a Room, Songs of Love and Hate, and New Skin for the Old Ceremony.

There’s one show only, so please join us for this amazing journey through the music and poetry of Leonard Cohen.
B4real

Re: Songs for Suzanne Feb 5 Melbourne

Post by B4real »

Hi Murray,
When I saw this show was in Melbourne, and at your favourite theatre, I wondered if you and Andrew might be attending :) I've just received another link to that show - https://www.broadwayworld.com/adelaide/ ... y-20211207

SONGS FOR SUZANNE: THE MUSIC AND POETRY OF LEONARD COHEN
Comes to the Palais Theatre in February
The performance is on Saturday February 5, 2022.
by Stephi Wild Dec. 7, 2021
SONGS FOR SUZANNE: THE MUSIC AND POETRY OF LEONARD COHEN Comes to the Palais Theatre in February
The fascinatingly enigmatic Leonard Cohen's first clutch of classic albums saw him become one of the leading proponents of folk. Signed following a Newport Folk festival appearance, Cohen's early albums were acclaimed by critics and ecstatically received by a community who within two years witnessed him provide a highlight performance at 1970's Isle Of Wight festival, and receive outstanding covers of his songs by folk giants such as Judy Collins and Joan Baez.

Saturday 5th February 2022 will see dazzling renditions of songs from those early albums by celebrated chanteuse Debra Byrne, country outlaw Henry Wagons, Melbourne icon Rebecca Barnard, the shape-shifting post colonialist Delsinki, versatile jazz vocalist Alma Zygier (who also happens to be Deborah Conway's daughter), and the amazing new talent, Mozë.

Songs for Suzanne will be a celebration of the beginnings of a distinguished career of a brilliant singer-songwriter. Alongside standards including "Bird On A Wire", "So Long, Marianne", "Avalanche", "Hallelujah", and "Famous Blue Raincoat", will feature many songs never performed by the man himself on his Australian tours. Leonard Cohen's initial success came as an author, with two novels and four collections of poetry preceding his debut album. Cohen's own readings of some of these works, which saw him compared to James Joyce, will be incorporated into the show.

Cohen's songs will be presented faithfully in the way they were originally recorded. Musical accompaniment for the singers will consist of mesmerising finger-plucked guitar strings provided by Ben Dix and Dan McKay, the haunting violin of Xani Kolac, and Bass guitar and keyboards from illustrious musicologist Stu Thomas.

Audiences will be spellbound by classic Cohen favourites from his most notable albums such as Songs of Leonard Cohen, Songs from a Room, Songs of Love and Hate, and New Skin for the Old Ceremony. Known for his haunting acoustic melodies and deep, raw vocals, Cohen was a true folk singer and poet who adapted his songs and style as time went on, never losing sight of the current music trends and modifying his sound through the decades.

There will be one show only, so please do join us for this amazing journey through the music and poetry of Leonard Cohen.

The performance is on Saturday February 5, 2022.

Tickets on sale Thursday December 9.
Bookings: www.davidroywilliams.com
btw - I've noticed that one of the singers, Alma Zygier, was one of the "Ladies Who Sing Leonard" show that you both attended and liked - https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... =8&t=38788
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Junk

Post by Junk »

the haunting violin of Xani Kolac
She's very good, Bev.
Can't be tempted?
B4real

Post by B4real »

The description "haunting" violin did catch my eye :)
I haven't left Queensland for 2 years now because it's safe where I live ... so far!
Nevermind, we all have wonderful memories of LC's concerts and get-togethers in Melbourne and we almost made it to The Green Room at one of them - "If I've got to remember that's a fine memory" ;-)
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi Bev & Murray,

I’ve just booked my ticket. 8)

I look forward to seeing you beforehand and following the event, Murray.

Bev, think further about it... it would be nice if you could join the lads. ;-)

Cheers,
Andrew :)

Cheers,
Andrew
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
B4real

Post by B4real »

Andrew and Murray,
It would be so nice to see you both again, but I can't come. Nevertheless, I will be there in spirit!
I'm guessing you will report here about the show - looking forward to that 8)
Patrick Hasselbank

Post by Patrick Hasselbank »

Junk wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:56 am Feb 05 2022
Saturday 08:00 pm
Sat8:00 PM
St Kilda, VIC Palais Theatre Songs For Suzanne: The Music and Poetry of Leonard Cohen

https://www.ticketmaster.com.au/search? ... der_search

About Songs For Suzanne: The Music and Poetry of Leonard Cohen

Debra Byrne, Henry Wagons, Rebecca Barnard, Delsinki, and Alma Zygier perform dazzling renditions of songs from Leonard Cohen’s classic early albums.

Standards including “Bird On A Wire”, “So Long, Marianne”, “Avalanche”, “Hallelujah”, and “Famous Blue Raincoat”, will feature alongside many songs never performed by the man himself on Australian tours. Audiences will be spellbound by Cohen favourites from notable albums Songs of Leonard Cohen, Songs from a Room, Songs of Love and Hate, and New Skin for the Old Ceremony.

There’s one show only, so please join us for this amazing journey through the music and poetry of Leonard Cohen.

How was this event?
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi Patrick,

This event is still a few weeks away. ;-)

Cheers,
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Junk

Post by Junk »

Now a few months away -
Songs For Suzanne: The Music and Poetry of Leonard Cohen has been rescheduled...

The event organisers have been in touch to let us know that Songs For Suzanne: The Music and Poetry of Leonard Cohen on Saturday 5 February 2022 has been rescheduled. The event will now be taking place on Friday 3 June 2022 at Palais Theatre.

A message from the presenter:

Due to the current massive surge in Covid infection, we feel it imperative for the health of patrons, cast, crew, and venue staff, that the show be postponed beyond the current wave. The singers and musicians are beyond disappointed as they were very much looking forward to performing songs they love by such a highly influential artist. We look forward to presenting a top class show for everyone this June.

What happens now?

Your tickets will be valid for Friday 3 June 2022. You don’t need to do anything, just hold on to your tickets.

Can’t make it? You will need to request a refund.
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

On Friday night, along with another Cohenite friend, I attended ‘Songs For Suzanne: The Music and Poetry of Leonard Cohen’, a rescheduled tribute concert held in the majestic and historic old Palais Theatre here in Melbourne.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable and uplifting experience, even if the odd performance wasn’t quite impeccable. The instrumental ensemble consisted of violinist Xani Kolac, bass player Stu Thomas, and two other guitar players, Ben Dix and Dan McKay. All were excellent exponents of their craft. There were also four female vocalists, Rebecca Barnard, Xani Kolac, Moze and Lucy Durack, along with two male vocalists, Henry Wagons and Delsinki; once again, in their various solos and ensemble singing, they all performed remarkably, with hallmark passion, unquestioned commitment and some humour too. Leonard’s praises were also verbalised at various times in their intros.

The first set comprised the following songs: Last Year’s Man; Famous Blue Raincoat; So Long Marianne; Sisters Of Mercy; That’s No Way To Say Goodbye; Who By Fire; Suzanne. Interspersed throughout were audio recordings of Leonard reading three of his earlier published poems or excerpts thereof.

The second set comprised the following songs: Avalanche; Diamonds In The Mine; Tower Of Song; Chelsea Hotel; Bird On The Wire; The Partisan; Take This Longing; Hallelujah. Once again, interspersed throughout were audio recordings of Leonard reading three of his earlier published poems or excerpts thereof.

In conclusion, even though Leonard is no longer with us, it’s indeed wonderful to experience artists’ ongoing adulation of him and their worthy performances of his songs. 8)

Cheers,
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks for your report, Andrew.
Nice to see you had a good time - I'm guessing your Cohenite friend did too ;-)
Yes, it's great to see people remembering Leonard. I reckon they'll do that forever!
Luffy

Post by Luffy »

so dope
murphybridget837

Post by murphybridget837 »

Andrew (Darby) wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:29 am On Friday night, along with another Cohenite friend, I attended ‘Songs For Suzanne: The Music and Poetry of Leonard Cohen’, a rescheduled tribute concert held in the majestic and historic old Palais Theatre here in Melbourne.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable and uplifting experience, even if the odd performance wasn’t quite impeccable. The instrumental ensemble consisted of violinist Xani Kolac, bass player Stu Thomas, and two other guitar players, Ben Dix and Dan McKay. All were excellent exponents of their craft. There were also four female vocalists, Rebecca Barnard, Xani Kolac, Moze and Lucy Durack, along with two male vocalists, Henry Wagons and Delsinki; once again, in their various solos and ensemble singing, they all performed remarkably, with hallmark passion, unquestioned commitment and some humour too. Leonard’s praises were also verbalised at various times in their intros.

The first set comprised the following songs: Last Year’s Man; Famous Blue Raincoat; So Long Marianne; Sisters Of Mercy; That’s No Way To Say Goodbye; Who By Fire; Suzanne. Interspersed throughout were audio recordings of Leonard reading three of his earlier published poems or excerpts thereof.

The second set comprised the following songs: Avalanche; Diamonds In The Mine; Tower Of Song; Chelsea Hotel; Bird On The Wire; The Partisan; Take This Longing; Hallelujah. Once again, interspersed throughout were audio recordings of Leonard reading three of his earlier published poems or excerpts thereof.

In conclusion, even though Leonard is no longer with us, it’s indeed wonderful to experience artists’ ongoing adulation of him and their worthy performances of his songs. 8)

Cheers,
It was a delightful experience with a talented ensemble. Violinist Xani Kolac, bassist Stu Thomas, and guitarists Ben Dix and Dan McKay displayed their skills admirably. The vocalists, including Rebecca Barnard, Moze, Lucy Durack, Henry Wagons, and Delsinki, delivered remarkable performances with passion and humor. Leonard's praises added to the enjoyment throughout.It was a delightful experience with a talented ensemble. Violinist Xani Kolac, bassist Stu Thomas, and guitarists Ben Dix and Dan McKay displayed their skills admirably. The vocalists, including Rebecca Barnard, Moze, Lucy Durack, Henry Wagons, and Delsinki, delivered remarkable performances with passion and humor. Leonard's praises added to the enjoyment throughout.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

murphybridget837 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:44 am [paraphrased, in duplicate, what was written by another person 2 years ago]

I am curious: why do you make posts like this? What is the point of resurrecting old threads simply to paraphrase something that somebody else wrote, often many years ago (this particular example is one of the more recent threads you've dug up)? You are simply repeating what other people have written, using synonymous words (and sometimes you misinterpret what was originally written, as if you don't really understand the words, but are simply running them through an A.I. paraphrasing tool) -- you have done this many times on this forum, and it is frankly rather bizarre.

When you are not paraphrasing people, you are making strange, platitudinous comments about something someone else has written (again, often from many years ago, and not always accurately reflecting what the original poster wrote). I honestly cannot fathom why a real person would do these things -- perhaps you could enlighten me, because I am truly baffled by your unusual behaviour on this forum.

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”