REVIEW Leonard Cohen Is My Spirit Guide (A Celebration of Leonard Cohen)

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
jim devlin

REVIEW Leonard Cohen Is My Spirit Guide (A Celebration of Leonard Cohen)

Post by jim devlin »

Compered by Kerry Shale (calling himself "also a Canadian Jew"), this evening of 19 Leonard Cohen covers [with a couple of 'related' songs] was a thoroughly enjoyable blend of music and poetry [all Leonard's]. In the Jubilee Church, Hull town centre near the City Hall, in a very comfortable seat a few rows in from the back on the left, I had a perfect view of the stage - and both sound and lights were excellent in every aspect throughout the 2 hours plus. Maybe 200+ people there. A full house. And very appreciative of each and every singer and song. Most of Leonard's albums represented [except Recent Songs / 10 New Songs / Dear Heather], with most [4] from his first: Sisters of mercy, Hey that's no way to say goodbye, Suzanne & So long Marianne; 3 from 'New Skin': Who by fire, Lover lover lover & Chelsea Hotel #2; 2 each from 'Songs from a room' - The Partisan & Bird on the wire; 'The Future' - The Future (quite the most raucous performance of the whole gig) & Anthem; and 'You Want It Darker' - YWID & Treaty. Just the one each from 'Love and Hate': Famous Blue Raincoat'; 'DOALM': Memories; 'Various Positions': Hallelujah (this was the "encore"); 'I'm Your Man': Tower of Song; 'Old Ideas': Crazy to love you; and 'Popular Problems': You got me singing.
BUT, and this is important ... the songs were NOT in chronological order - a wonderful idea, AND interspersed with Leonard's poetry delivered in a very passable basso profundo by presenter Kerry Shale - also wonderful, the evening progressed seamlessly.
Several musicians and singers performed, named in the programme: Kathryn Williams, Georgia Ruth, Sylvie Lewis, Paul Smith, David Ford, Astrid Williamson, Marry Waterson, Adem, Arcelia and Martin Carr. Quite a few solo, and then duets, trios etc... with blended harmonies and instrumental intros & outros additional highlights to add to Leonard's incomparable melodies. My personal favourites include an extended and powerful "Lover lover lover" (many layers of voices/harmonies/instruments here), followed by a serenely solo "Crazy to love you". I didn't keep a note of who sang what and/or with whom, but can honestly assure that the splendid mix of acoustic with electric, plenty percussion etc. made this Celebration of Leonard Cohen a triumph for all involved.
jim devlin

Re: REVIEW Leonard Cohen Is My Spirit Guide (A Celebration of Leonard Cohen)

Post by jim devlin »

And the concert took place on Sunday, September 30: 8.00pm - 8.50; short interval; 9.10 - 10.20.
Apologies for not including these details in the review above.
Mabeanie1

Re: REVIEW Leonard Cohen Is My Spirit Guide (A Celebration of Leonard Cohen)

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I was sorry to miss this Jim - and other tribute and Flame launch events. A very badly timed holiday meant I left too early for the UK events and arrived to late for the Montreal launch. C'est la vie.

Sounds like it was a wonderful evening.

Wendy

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”