Stewart d'Arrietta: My Leonard Cohen (tribute album)

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
jarkko
Site Admin

Stewart d'Arrietta: My Leonard Cohen (tribute album)

Post by jarkko »

Stewart d'Arrietta (Australia) sings 19 Cohen songs on this live album.
It's available for download only (from Amazon), and it seems to be on Spotify, too.
Having enjoyed a sold-out run at the Sydney Opera House and an acclaimed Edinburgh Fringe season in 2017, Stewart D’Arrietta and his band are taking My Leonard Cohen on a tour of New South Wales this May. Driven by D’Arrietta’s raw and distinctive vocal style, this stirring celebration offers arresting and imaginative interpretations of the great singer-songwriter’s most powerful works.

Poetic anecdotes, punctuated with D’Arrietta’s trademark laconic humour, offer a narrative frame by which the audience can contemplate the life of one of the world’s most enigmatic songwriters. This is Cohen’s music as you’ve never heard it before.

D’Arrietta has enjoyed rave reviews and performed internationally, including at Montreal Jazz Festival, The Riverside Theatre London, EX Theatre Tokyo and The Soho Playhouse New York. Credits include Belly of a Drunken Piano (a Tom Waits homage), Feeling Randy (Randy Newman), Satango and Tuxedo and the Little Black Dress. This is a rare opportunity to catch a prolific Australian performer, composer and musical director in the UK.

“It is testament to D’Arrietta’s devotion to keeping Cohen’s music relevant that he continues to play to packed houses. Cohen himself would surely have paid to see this one.” Daily Business *****

“A fine performer in his own right and a terrifically skilled band… Expect paced-up songs, expect tango and Texas, hard rock and enough overlap with Cohen’s own style to satisfy, surprise and delight.” Fringe Review “HIGHLY RECOMMENDED”

“[D’Arrietta] and his extraordinary band bring Cohen’s songs to life in a way that surpasses mere imitation, altering arrangements and infusing them with a new energy that drives the emotional narrative of the show.” The Adelaide Advertiser *****

Bookings: glenstreet.com.au/whats-on/my-leonard-cohen
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”