A new song 'about' Cohen

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
nlamont

A new song 'about' Cohen

Post by nlamont » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:09 pm

The first song on my new album is based on various scenes from Leonard's life. It's called The Monk From the Mountain of Sorrow. It's not his style of music but is very definitely inspired by Leonard.

Free streaming and lyrics here: http://normanlamont.bandcamp.com/album/ ... -in-heaven
Hartmut

Re: A new song 'about' Cohen

Post by Hartmut » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:24 pm

I like it.
Japhy Ryder

Post by Japhy Ryder » Sun May 04, 2014 1:11 am

Thx Nlamont ...

Does the composition have any more of a back-story ???? Recording process etc ????

"Fingerpuppet" definitely bears a real Daniel Lanois type resemblance in its style.

Q: Since you're something of a musical artist from Edinburgh, might you have ever heard of the legendary GORTON PLACE ????

p.s. You show me yours, i'll show you mine :D

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34318
Everybody Knows.
nlamont

Post by nlamont » Sun May 04, 2014 7:16 pm

Thanks Japhy, listening to your song just now, bringing a smile to my face.

As for a back story, hard to say exactly as the recording and writing took place over a few years. I had one verse at the beginning which I thought might relate to Cohen but I really didn't want to make it very obvious or to write anything that seemed like I was trying to ape his style. So I put it off again and again, and it was only when I had built up the arrangement (FL Studio, Cubase and Reaper if you want that sort of info) and got it pretty distant from Cohen's style that I felt safe in taking bits of Cohen's life into the lyric such as the 'three pages' which is the discipline he had to adopt when he settled in London to get to stay rent free in his flat. I picture some of it happening in Hydra and some in Mt Baldy but you can do that sort of thing in a song!

Don't know anything about Gorton Place - what's the story?

Norman
Japhy Ryder

Post by Japhy Ryder » Sat May 17, 2014 2:18 am

Gorton Place sits directly across the North Esk Valley from Rosslin Chapel.

http://necessaryindulgences.com/2014/01 ... -scotland/

During my time of sojourn in August of 1999, it was portrayed as a "rich mysterious patron's communal arts house." While tracking down Ken Kesey & the Merry Pranksters downtown Edinburgh, as they wrapped up their tour of the UK & the historic "Where's Merlin" cavalcade, from out of the blue i was approached by a young, kind & gentle dark-haired lady, who invited me to stay for a spell. This i naturally did, making myself at home out in the majestic Scottish countryside for a few memorable days, while in the esteemed company of many fine new friends.

During my stay, locals informed me that the caves located in the nearby gulch were where William Wallace ( aka BRAVEHEART ) and his men had been rumoured to have holed up while they sought to elude King Edward & his men-at-arms.

http://www.visitscotland.com/info/see-d ... rk-p252401
Everybody Knows.

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”