Dance Me...in the depths of Woodford!

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
Andrew (Darby)

Dance Me...in the depths of Woodford!

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

I‘ve just got back from one of my, now annual, mountain-top experiences – :D the Woodford Folk Festival :D – which is far more than a folk festival, both in terms of the breadth of music as well as the other cultural and artistic experiences it caters for. The festival occurs over 6 days, in a communal village set-up with adjacent camping grounds. There are over 400 events in about 20 or so venues throughout the festival village, so it can be a bit overwhelming at times when it come to choosing which performances to see at what times! The good news is that it doesn’t really matter where you go or what you see, you know you will enjoy it and revel in the talents of the performing artists. :o The whole experience is in the context of a wonderful sense of community, with largely shared values reflecting goodwill and peace. :D Check it out at the web-site: http://www.woodfordfolkfestival.com .

Anyway, I went with a small group of friends to one of the venues (Sitting Duck Café) to listen to the engrossing and somewhat eclectic and hip gypsy/latin/jazz sounds of a group called Monsieur Camembert. So, we were sitting there enjoying the music and taking in everything the venue has to offer, when (out of the blue) the lead vocalist asked if there were any Leonard Cohen fans in the audience!? :shock: I’m sure you can picture what happened: like a sprinter’s reaction to the starter’s pistol, I instinctively lifted off my seat and (along with a dozen others) yelled out my affirmation! What followed was an amazing rendition of “Dance Me To The End Of Love” – not only was it an unusual arrangement, but also tenderly beautiful. 8) More importantly, this track is on the group’s 2003 album ‘Absynthe’ and so, Jarkko, there’s another cover to add to your list!

If you ever plan to visit Australia around the Xmas/New Year period, I would strongly recommend you attend some or part of this truly amazing festival!

I wish you all a fantastic 2004!

Cheers, :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Thanks for the new song, Andrew! We have now listed 841 cover songs --
an amazing number, isn't it!
Jarkko
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Ohhhhh, Andrew ~ I want to go :D !!!!! [says she of 1-exclamation-mark habit, 3-max limit]. Well worth the dent in my travel fund, which is being started with this new year :D

Add another cd purchase to my list :D ! Not only for "Dance Me to the End of Love," but your description meets my kind of music :D .

~ Lizzy
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Elizabeth

I can assure you, you would not be disappointed by the "Woodford experience" - I'm sure you would combine it with other more tourist-oriented travel in the country and it would be worth the dollars involved! :wink: Whilst I would love folk to come along to our LC Birthday celebration in September 8) , I would not deny that the Woodford experience (3 months later) would eclipse this from a total spectacle & experience perspective! :D (Notwithstanding this, our little event has its special place in some of our hearts, I believe! :) )

Cheers
Andrew (Darby)
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
LaurieAK

Post by LaurieAK »

Andrew~My copy of Monsieur Camembert arrived from Australia to Alaska yesterday. Their version of "Dance Me..." is fantastic. And the rest of the cd is great. Thanks for mentioning it here. Regards, Laurie
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Laurie

I'm really pleased you enjoyed this cover (and the whole album). :D One can go out on a bit of a limb recommending covers, but I was fairly sure this version would go down well - particularly as that genre of musical style seems to be gaining popularity! 8)

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”