June 26 - During the FIJM

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
Tchocolatl

June 26 - During the FIJM

Postby Tchocolatl » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:50 pm

The outdoor event to open the FIJM:

HOMMAGE À LEONARD COHEN
with Katie Melua, Steven Page, Madeleine Peyroux, Garou, Chris Botti, Lhasa de Sela, Serena Ryder, Buffy Ste-Marie, Zachary Richard, Thomas Hellman

What do Katie Melua, Buffy Sainte Marie, Madeleine Peyroux, Serena Ryder, Chris Botti and Thomas Hellman have in common? They're all gathering to pay tribute to legendary Montreal poet, novelist and singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen! To acknowledge his incommensurate talent with the appropriate ceremony, a gallery of artists-each influenced by his universal and immortal songbook-will honour him from the Festival's main stage. On the menu: entirely new versions of his classics, many surprises, and an evening of towering song!

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/Fijm200 ... showId=588

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/Fijm2008/splash.aspx
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Darling

Re: June 26 - During the FIJM

Postby Darling » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:21 pm

Mmm. It may be worth coming back to Montreal for that...
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:04 pm

Mmm. Maybe. 8)

"Leonard Cohen, après un repos bien mérité à la suite des trois concerts qu’il aura donnés en préouverture du Festival, sera présent pour recevoir l’hommage."

oups :D

After taking a well-earned rest following his three pre-opening concerts at the Festival, Leonard Cohen will be present to receive the tribute.

http://nouvelles.equipespectra.ca/blog/

http://nouvelles.equipespectra.ca/blog/ ... ch_lang=en
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Darling

Postby Darling » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:01 pm

I called them (Spectra) this morning and she said she didn't know if it would be a public ceremony. :roll:
That's VERY good news, thanks! I think I will definitely come, then.
Youppee! Something to look forward to, I was starting to feel a bit depressed after all the excitement of the Saguenay shows being over...

Thanks again !

By the way, Tchoco, I read some of your old posts about the French / English thing in Quebec, and I agree with everything you said, but you said it much better than I could have. However wasn't it you who said that Léo Ferré was depressing? Tssssssssss, shame on you ;-)
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:09 am

Let's do right now a private ceremony in this thread, just for you.

The Spirit Himself :

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:19 am

This one is great too.

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:29 am

Have fun, Darling :D

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
margaret

Postby margaret » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:16 am

Bonsoir Tchocolatl :D Good to see you again. C'est longtemps!

Are you going to one of Leonard's concerts?
Dublin 15th June, Manchester 18th June, Edinburgh 16th July
Cardiff 8th. November, Manchester 30th. November Liverpool 14th July 2009 Barcelona 21st September 2009, Las Vegas 11th December 2010
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:03 am

Dear Margaret, how sweet to read you! :D But what a question? 8) I don't know a sole fan who wants to miss the occasion to see him performing on stage during this tour. :)

But this tribute on June 26 is a bonus for anybody being around at that date. He will attend the tribute and my guess is that he will receive this spirit award that night.

I'll let you know about all this.

I see that you have more than your share in regard of Leonard Cohen's concerts. Just Great! :razz:

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Darling

Postby Darling » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:46 am

WOW! What a sweet little chocolat you are, thank you so much!
Darling

Postby Darling » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:52 am

And feel free to keep going! :D
Darling

Postby Darling » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:01 am

Tchocolatl,

Did you see the email I received from the Jazz Fest (posted on the Leonard to receive Montreal Jazz Festival Award thread)? It says no public ceremony. :cry:

I might still come however, because I would really like to see Buffy Ste-Marie, she is so great.
Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:31 am

Dear Tchoc, I haven't seen you for so long ;-) . Great to see that you still grace the forum with your unique presence every once in a while.
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:31 pm

Darling, thank you for the information. Ah, everything is so public during the FIJM. It is more an event that way. Just the fact that Leonard Cohen will be there for the tribute worth to go, Darling. In my mind. Of course, Buffy is great. I like Zachary Richard and Madeleine Peyroux. Some other artists not so known are to be discovered as a surprise.

Diane, oh! you Roman Goddess of the hunt, you who can capture swans without taking the precious wild life but in the contrary, making their splendor glowing, I wink to you too.

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Darling

Postby Darling » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:25 am

Yes definitely worth it and I will make a few days out of it, it's been a while I've come to the Jazz fest.
I was hoping to get tickets for the 27th Buffy SM show, but it's already sold out. If anybody has one or two good ones to sell, please contact me. Scalpers abstain.

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”