KD Lang sings Hallelujah

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
Undertow

KD Lang sings Hallelujah

Post by Undertow » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:39 pm

Extremely sorry if this has already been brought to the attention of the forum, but I searched for it and couldn't find anything.

Returning to the topic at hand, I was pretty content with Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah. It is/was my favourite version of the beautiful song. He took what Cohen wrote and sang as a hopeful hymn, rejoicing in life itself (thats how I interpret it) and turned it to something of quiet despair and lilting sadness. I love his version. And then I came across this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE

I was completely overwhelmed, until that moment, I was quietly confident that no one would top Buckley, but this, this is just brilliant! Im very undecided about which version I like more Buckleys or Langs. In some instances, I think Lang oversings the song, and Buckley has never had that problem.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy another version of Cohen's most covered masterpiece.
lizzytysh

Re: KD Lang sings Hallelujah

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:34 pm

Hi Undertow ~

I like what both of them do with "Hallelujah" and love Leonard's most. When it comes to the timing and inflection and all the rest, no one knows better than Leonard what suits his songs best. Well... except, perhaps, Anjani on some... since he did defer to her ideas over his own on "Blue Alert" and whatever others. I'll never be able to comment on that further, though, and will have to trust Leonard's judgment... ought not be too difficult :D .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Undertow

Post by Undertow » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:26 am

When it comes to the timing and inflection and all the rest, no one knows better than Leonard what suits his songs best.
Strangely, I must disagree with this. While it is true for the vast majority of his songs, there are a few songs where other artists have managed to take his already brilliant songs and improve them. One of them is this song, and other, If It Be Your Will as covered by Antony in I'm Your Man. However, I have to concede that I choose these versions over the original mainly because I prefer the production on the covers rather than the originals.

For example, I think the original Hallelujah is massively over produced. Far too much synth for that song in my opinion, and the exact opposite complaint for If It Be Your Will and Leonard doesnt sing it as much as he could for that particular song. Obviously, these are opinions and nothing more, neither of us can argue that either version is better or worse, we just have to be thankful to Cohen for writing such good songs that others actually cover them and we can hear different versions.
Baldwyn

Post by Baldwyn » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:46 am

I love her cover of Hallelujah, by far my favourite to date.

Awhile ago, there was an article which stated that Leonard had commended KD Lang's version. He also struggled with his own version of "Light as the Breeze" and really liked what Billy Joel had done with it.
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:54 pm

Baldwyn wrote: He also struggled with his own version of "Light as the Breeze" and really liked what Billy Joel had done with it.
That is interesting. I've mentioned to people that I very much liked Billy's version of Light A A B and the looks I got made me blush.

I made the comment to Leonard one time when he let himself be available after her concert that althought I like his songs and the way he sings them that I prefer to hear Anjani singing them. His face lit with a big smile and twice he said "So do I"
Everything being said to you is true; Imagine of what it is true.

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”