CONCERT REPORT: Brisbane, Australia - November 30, 2013

The last leg of the Old Ideas tour in November and December 2013
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Brisbane, Australia - November 30, 2013

Post by sturgess66 »

The venue, Brisbane Entertainment Centre, is a multi-purpose indoor facility located in Boondall, a suburb of Brisbane.
Capacity is up to 14,500.

Brisbane is located on Southeast coast of the State of Queensland and is its capitol city.

Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Brisbane, Australia - November 30, 2013

Post by sturgess66 »

@RomanSoper - Going to Leonard Cohen on sat. First real concert I've been to. So excited!!!!!
@jeankimberley - Off to see Leonard Cohen – so excited
@gcinjectables1 –Leonard Cohen concert tonight yippppppeeeeeee have a fabulous weekend love from injectables #LeonardCohen#BestArtist#Lovehim#superexcited#goingwithmydaddy xxx
@louniss - Leonard Cohen tonight! Yahoo!
@supsuphannah - 4 men in cowboy hats. 4 women in high heels. Leonard Cohen attracts a diverse crowd.
@NoPlaceforSheep - So excited waiting for Leonard Cohen!!!!
@pianotrees - Our view at Leonard Cohen tonight. SO happy #secondrow #lucky pic.twitter.com/DAzZ9ggOOb https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaT5zKCCQAAYBPW.jpg
@M_Ludlow - Ladies and gentleman, Mr Leonard Cohen. Dance Me To The End Of Love pic.twitter.com/JCMb9GjUme https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaT_r9PCMAAPmwI.jpg
@NoPlaceforSheep - DANCE ME TO THE END OF LOVE!!! Leonard Cohen pic.twitter.com/ZiLEBYgzyR https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaT-N5XCAAA_E8O.jpg
@BenFromBrisbane SO excited to be at Leonard Cohen with Mum tonight! It's the third time I've seen Leonard Cohen over the years. I listened to Cohen constantly in lockdown prior to Big Brother : ) instagram.com/p/hVbsBDG75u/ http://distilleryimage6.ak.instagram.co ... 1fa5_8.jpg
@goldensteph_ - I never thought I'd get to see my favourite songwriter, but tonight I get to see Leonard Cohen for the third time.
@jnettejb - If Leonard Cohen is performing at a place near you don't miss the chance, he's even better than before and it may be yr last chance.
@TyroneNoonan - The inimitable Leonard Cohen; legend! @ Brisbane Entertainment Centre http://instagram.com/p/hVpGSdprPK/ http://distilleryimage2.ak.instagram.co ... 80da_8.jpg
@caroldarcy - Leonand CREW!!!! Omg. Second half just about to begin. ❤❤❤
@ElsZuzu - Out at the Leonard Cohen World Tour Concert 2013 tonight. Such fun and so awesome to be at. @Bellyboo2121 pic.twitter.com/5TNedoEh52
@Twobob13 - Interval at Leonard Cohen, Brisbane. Sensational show so far.
@lorihph - Three hours of Leonard Cohen live..... Don't mind if I do.Pure bliss
@wenchofnations - I see you decided to get drunk at a Leonard Cohen concert. Please understand everyone in this section is trying to maim you with their mind
@AnnaMcGahan - Leonard Cohen is singing on his knees, hand on heart.
@BorneoBert - Blown away by the incomparable Leonard Cohen in Brisbane tonight. Second half coming up. Wow!!!!
@Anneke363Y - Leonard Cohen: an amazing man with such dignity.
@BorneoBert - OMG Leonard Cohen gig! 3 hrs on stage; every min magic! Poetic lyrics, dramatic stage presence, brill muso support. U seen him?
@doncandon - "He's gonna do another one!!" Bloke behind me genuinely shocked that Leonard Cohen was doing an encore.
@FriendsofOris - Went to see Leonard Cohen in concert tonight in Brisbane. The man is fantastic, at 79 he didn't stop for 3 and half hours.
@KWerninghaus - Brilliant Concert in Brisbane tonight - Thank you Leonard Cohen.
@mandimcintyre - Those who had been before were right. A Leonard Cohen concert is a spiritual experience.
STATIGRAM:

Nick Georgiou – Leonard Cohen

Liz Edwards - Such a great show.... 3 hrs 15mins immense.. #leonardcohen

Behrooz - It's an honour to see you again Sir... #feelinglucky #LeonardCohen #CohenLive #brisbaneentertainmentcentre

Lifeisamixtape - We travelled thousands of miles to be in the presence of greatness tonight. Thank you, Leonard. #leonardcohen

Statigram Short Video Clips (from Pippa Sheehan) - -
Suzanne - http://statigr.am/p/600563302559390733_3568078
Who By Fire – Javier Mas - http://statigr.am/p/600533311993945697_3568078
Amen - http://statigr.am/p/600533691788172905_ ... 05_3568078
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

LC&LC wrote:Brisbane Entertainment Center, November 30th

Dance me to the end of love
The future
Bird on a wire
Everybody knows
Who by fire
The darkness
Amen
Come healing
Lover lover lover
Anthem

Tower of songs
Suzanne
Chelsea hotel
Le partisan
Alessandra leaving (Sharon Robinson)
I'm your man
1000 kisses deep (recitation)
Hallelujah
Take this waltz

So long Marianne
Going home
First we take Manhattan

Famous blue raincoat
If it be your will (The Webb sisters)
Closing time

Tried to leave you
Save the last dance for me
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by tim4travel

Closing Time (including Leonard's closing comments and blessings)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlGIbvJJNpw
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by Laila McKelvey

Hallelujah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjFdTIdnz2A
Boss

Post by Boss »

Leonard, I have seen you and your fellow band members twice in ten days. I thank you for the songs and I thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I'll always thank you for that.

Adam
'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer' - Albert Camus
RickD

Post by RickD »

Great show last night.
I've seen Leonard 8 or 9 times now (Vegas, Montreux, Brisbane and a few others) and I've never seen him so animated and talkative. As well as all the usual "scripted" stuff he had lots of other things to say - he was very impressed with the airport link tunnel on the way to the venue of all things. Very therapeutic he said! :)

Even by his usual standard Leonard seemed to be really enjoying himself.

Roll on Wellington (and Auckland ;) ).
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/mu ... 6772352791
Suffice to say that there was nowhere on the planet that this audience would rather have been than in the presence of Cohen’s tower of song.
Leonard Cohen Delivers Strong Performance At Brisbane Entertainment Centre

December 01, 2013 1:04PM

Leonard Cohen. Source: AFP

MAKE that three from three.

Leonard Cohen returned to the scene of his triumphs on tour in 2009 and 2010 and delivered another performance that those present will cherish for a lifetime.

After a series of encores that lasted almost an hour , he finally concluded with a version of The Drifters’ Save The Last Dance For Me, leaving the stage to yet another standing ovation with the crowd wondering if they would ever see the 78-year-old perform again.

Then again, we thought that after those previous tours.

As usual, Cohen was in sparkling form and good humor, opening the night with the invitation to Dance Me to the End of Love and delivering a fervent first set including some of his finest material like Bird on the Wire and Everybody Knows.

As with his previous concerts here, the sound quality was close to perfection as the attentive audience hung on every word and note. Spanish guitarist Javier Mas again added his passionate touch to the songs and stunned the audience with his virtuoso introduction to Who By Fire.

Neil Larsen’s work at the Hammond organ was again extraordinary, and the band on this occasion featured violinist Alex Bublitchi, whose gypsy-flavoured sounds suit this material splendidly.

Cohen’s stagecraft, his drops to his knees, graceful bows to his band and so on, somehow makes the audience feel like they are in a small club rather than in an arena with 8000 or so others. Then there is his wry wit between songs, telling us of his admiration for Brisbane’s road tunnels while noting their “therapeutic quality’’.

The second set was even better than the first, if that’s possible, with his female singers occasionally taking the lead, with Sharon Robinson on Alexandra Leaving and the Webb Sisters on If It Be Your Will, and dazzling renditions of old friends like Suzanne, Hallelujah and Chelsea Hotel # 2.

It is difficult to put into words the power Cohen puts into his recitation of A Thousand Kisses Deep, and into every song he performs in more than three hours on stage.

Suffice to say that there was nowhere on the planet that this audience would rather have been than in the presence of Cohen’s tower of song.

Leonard Cohen performed at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre on Saturday
sometimetomorrow

Post by sometimetomorrow »

I was worried he might not match the 2009 concert for its emotional intensity but I was wrong. I loved the song
selections but most of all it was Leonard Cohen's honest and sincere performance that left me spellbound. He truly is the greatest live act in the world.

Unfortunately the venue had quite a few empty seats- by my estimation the crowd would have been 7-8000 however the entertainment centre holds 13000. I'd say the high ticket prices may have kept a lot of people away. I hope he comes back in a few years. I missed him live in Australia in 2010, I won't make that mistake again if given the opportunity. Thank you Leonard for one of the greatest if not the greatest live concert experience of my life.
B4real

Post by B4real »

I’ve finally arrived home from Brisbane to rest and recuperate for four days then off again to the Hill Winery and finally Adelaide. After two weeks of travelling it feels strange not to be going automatically to the next venue.

This was the third time LC has had a concert at this venue and I’ve been to every one. The latest was as professional and entertaining as ever. Even though Leonard always says, “we’ll give you all we’ve got”, he really does mean it. I truly wonder how they keep up their energy levels. If I wore a Fedora, I’d tip my hat to Leonard, the rest of the UHTC and crew.

In his intro after Dance Me To The End Of Love he personalised his experience in this city: “Thanks for coming tonight, for getting into cars and driving, even into that wonderful tunnel which is one of the best tunnels I’ve ever been in. It has, it has therapeutic qualities. I’m serious, I’ve been in a lot of tunnels in my days, in fact most of my days were spent in tunnels! But this one has calculable therapeutic qualities. I wasn’t feeling so great at the beginning but I was feeling great at the end!” He was laughing at the last line he’d just said. I love a man who can laugh at his own jokes!

Planned or otherwise, once again there was no final rhetoric in Tower Of Song.

It’s back! That word in Going Home, “He just doesn’t have the cojones to refuse!” Not as much vocal reaction to it from the Brisbane crowd as there was in Cairns.

I didn’t take any photos until the last encore started because no flash was permitted. I thought they wouldn’t make me stop so near to the end and that was so.
IMG_0214-B13.jpg
IMG_0215-B13.jpg
IMG_0219-B13.jpg
more following -
Last edited by B4real on Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Post by B4real »

IMG_0222-B13.jpg
final bows
final bows
last steps
last steps
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Post by B4real »

I was again fortunate to acquire another stage set list.
Brisbane stage set list
Brisbane stage set list
As I am not attending 3 (Sydney, Wollongong and Melbourne) of the next 5 concerts, I’ll look forward to the reports and photos of those who are lucky enough to see LC at these inaugural and exciting venues.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Great reports, Bev.
I'm delighted to see that Anthem has regained its proper bold font on the set list.
I'm just about to walk out the door to catch my flight to Sydney.
See you in Adelaide.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.aaabackstage.com.au/reviews/ ... 11-13.html

Live Review: Leonard Cohen @ Brisbane Entertainment Centre 30.11.13

Written by Gabriella Cowan

Leonard Cohen

Leonard Cohen. What an incredible man. A consummate musician who surrounds himself with other consummate musicians. The music is tight. Cohen is a perfectionist in every way. The audience appeared to see him as sex symbol… maybe he is.

With the cheek of an adolescent and the conviction of a soldier, he will go on to give the Brisbane Entertainment Centre a dazzling three and a half hour show. It is quarter past eight. The lights dim, you feel the woosh of every man clapping his hands excitedly and then a group of figures enter the stage. “There’s Leonard!” I shout, pointing to one of the figures wearing a hat. I soon realize that they’re all wearing hats, and that couldn’t be Leonard Cohen, unless he’s been eating excessive amounts of Thanksgiving cake and has picked up the bouzouki.

Sure enough, Leonard arrives on stage, and not only that, but he is running enthusiastically. When’s the last time you’ve seen a 79- year old performer run on stage? His voice still carries the warm, hypnotic texture, off beat in his phrasing but nonetheless utterly captivating. “Thanks so much… friends,” he drawls, cast in a dim spotlight, center of stage. He makes a dry joke about the new Brisbane CBD tunnels, then proceeds to thank us graciously again. What a host! “If…you…ever feel neglected,” he murmurs slowly, “just call out my name.” I wince a little as people in the audience scream: “LEONARD! LEONARD!” Chuckling, Leonard tips his hat slightly. “That’s it,” he smiles. “I assure you tonight we’ll give you everything we have,” he promises.

The show opened with Dance Me To The End Of Love, which was, thanks to the three female backup singers left of Cohen, almost identical to the recording, off Cohen’s third album, Various Positions. He immediately lowered to his knees while he sung, crooning and twisting into his microphone. My god, I thought, as he swayed and sunk to the floor, this man possesses triple the stamina that he had when he was young.

Cohen and the band began playing Bird On A Wire, which was somewhat unrecognizable because of the jazzed-up, poppier musicality of it. He took up his position on the floor again, a small mouse for Bird On The Wire. During this song he graciously presented each member with a bow and the taking off of his black hat. We discover that the lead guitarist is the head professor of music from a Texan university, and the two blonde backup singers, ‘The Webb Sisters’, are from England. Leonard has a nine-piece band that boasts the highest quality musicians from around the world. To his right, sits the archlute player, the fiddle player, and the nylon guitarist, each of them in suits and hats. Everyone is wearing a suit, even the female backup singers, although, in their white and black attire, they come across as good-looking cater waitresses. Well, Cohen always adored the beauty of women; it seems only natural to have exquisite looking women accompanying him on stage. Sometimes, they even sing his songs for him. Sharon Robinson, the third female vocalist, performed Alexandra Leaving by herself, which astounded the audience. Here’s an interesting bit of trivia- Robinson first started working with Leonard Cohen on his 1979 Field Commander Cohen tour.

Leonard spits out Everybody Knows, with conviction and bright expression in his pale eyes. As it is more of an upbeat number, the female backup singers perform synchronized foot bounces, almost mimicking a waltz with their invisible partners. Cohen has such character, in his figure, his profile, the way he clutches the microphone like a crucifix and offers it his off-handed, loving attention.

After the intermission, where the people scrambled out of their seats to buy ice-cream and chips, the stage remained dark, but for a red spotlight cast upon the bouzouki player. One could make out Leonard’s figure in the shadows, his hat resting under his arm, listening with his head bowed to Javier Mas playing haunting, melodious sounds on the Spanish archilaúd. His fingers moved like spiders across the fret while the fiddle player behind him quietly provided a rich undertone to complement the dramatic quality. This introduction led to an unexpected Who By Fire. The applause was tremendous once the audience caught on. Hattie Webb played harp whilst singing: a blonde angel. Cohen played a black steel string guitar and the bass player switched to a grand double bass, in which he utilized the most fantastic hand muting technique to give that intriguing sound in the short pauses.

Leonard Cohen’s songs have the unique ability to uplift their audience and put them into a trance-like state. Like some sort of prophet with his elusive poetry, one is enticed and soothed at once, as in the famous Suzanne. Members of the audience clapped for joy and swayed adoringly in their seats. The original backup female vocals on the album were not sung, but they were close. I don’t know how many times you’ve listened to Suzanne, peeling oranges and weeping alone in your kitchen, but if you have listened to it as fervently as I, you would recognize the different backup harmonies and pout a little. However, that doesn’t matter so much. What does matter is the fact that he played a good deal of his old songs, Famous Blue Raincoat, So Long Marianne, Hallelujah. It is these songs, and I don’t think I speak alone, which are the songs that will truly soothe and speak to your soul. Cohen stood under a soft spotlight while he crooned out Chesea Hotel 2# much to my amazement. “Givin me head on the unmade bed,” he drawled smoothly, while plucking in the way that he does, the black steel string.

Leonard Cohen is a born performer who uses his dry wit and charm with complete and utter ease. He juggles reciting his poetry, singing on his knees and playing keyboard, (“Your generosity has no bounds…”). Cohen has enriched the life of many with his wonderful melodic style, interesting and powerful lyrics and a deep resonate voice. The man is unquestionably a poet. He tipped his hat at precisely quarter to midnight, and skipped off the stage gallantly to a standing ovation. And that was about the third standing ovation of that night.
Lizbo

Post by Lizbo »

I must be the only person who went to Brisbane and sat in front of someone screaming "whoa!" "whoa!" "whoa!" " "whoa!" "whoa!" during the concert. Not just at the end of a song ... at the end of an instrumental ... a vocal ... Leonard speaking ... enough to take your connection and sever it at every opportunity. I'll try and Catch Leonard again before he leaves Australia. The middle aged woman screaming "whoa!" wrecked my mellow and also that of the people around me.

Return to “TOUR 2013 IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND”