CONCERT REPORT: Townsville, Australia, 28 November 2013

The last leg of the Old Ideas tour in November and December 2013
antipodean heart

CONCERT REPORT: Townsville, Australia, 28 November 2013

Post by antipodean heart »

The day is almost upon us :D
LC Tsv Poster.jpg
2009 Bowral and Venice | 2010 Ljubljana and LVx2 | 2012 Verona | 2013 Sydney, Townsville and.....|
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Townsville, Australia, 28 November 2013

Post by sturgess66 »

Townsville is located on the northeastern coast of Queensland, Australia – in the “dry tropics” region of Queensland.
The venue - the Townsville Entertainment and Convention Centre - is an indoor, multi-purpose sports arena, situated on Townsville’s waterfront.
In concert mode, the capacity is approximately 4,130.

http://www.tecc.net.au/what-s-on/concer ... 28-11-2013

STATIGRAM –

“urbanbonsai” - Crossing leonardcohen off the bucketlist tomorrow. Can't wait!! dancemetotheendoflove
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

‏FROM TWITTER -
@JohnDaicopoulos - Ready for Old Ideas from Leonard Cohen in Townsville tonight. A voice, poetry and music that brings me back to Montreal
@MaryWho4810 - Who will be hearing Leonard Cohen live in #Townsville tonight?
@ALPHAMAMA_says - Finally made it to Townsville yo!!! Going to see Leonard Cohen tonight. Holy shitballs!
@hledres - shit leonard cohen is amazing
@therecroomtsv - Leonard Cohen with the gang http://instagram.com/p/hQSbhKlyje/
@BatemanDan - Triple encore from #Leonard Cohen in Townsville and still going. This is why he's one of best live acts in the world.
@tabbzomaji - Tonight in Townsville I got to witness the incredible poet and songwriter Leonard Cohen, I’m inspired, he had so much charisma being in his late 70s.
@JohnDaicopoulos - Wow. Never leave a Leonard Cohen concert after the first or second encore, or the third, or fourth, maybe start to think of it after the fifth, but wait just in case. Thanks for a great night Leonard.
‏@LeightonESmith - Well I'm pleased that I was able to take one decent non-blurry photograph of the Leonard Cohen gig so enjoy that.... http://fb.me/2jjmnN50k Image
@JohnDaicopoulos - There are musicians, and there are artists, and then there's Leonard Cohen. Thanks for coming to Townsville. The honour was ours.
@PRCrystalClear - Leonard Cohen performing last night for 3.5 hours was amazing. What do you want to have achieved when you're 78? fb.me/1G5dflWvS Image
STATIGRAM –

From Kyle Mercado - Free tickets to #LeonardCohen tonight! Amazing band!

From Nathaniel - #leonardcohen #nofilter #incrediblesongwriter #townsville #YOU

STATIGRAM - SHORT VIDEO CLIP -

Lover, Lover, Lover - http://statigr.am/p/599093634434800000_9278013
(From Jessica Mauboy - Wow #LeonardCohen amazing falla!!!:) beautiful lyrics and voice! #townsville)
Last edited by sturgess66 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

LC&LC wrote:Townsville Entertainment and Convention Center, November 28th

Dance me to the end of love
The future
Bird on a wire
Everybody knows
Who by fire
The darkness
Amen
Come healing
Lover lover lover
Anthem

Tower of songs
Suzanne
Chelsea hotel
Le partisan
Alessandra leaving (Sharon Robinson)
I'm your man
1000 kisses deep (recitation)
Hallelujah
Take this waltz

So long Marianne
Going home
First we take Manhattan

Famous blue raincoat
If it be your will (The Webb sisters)
Closing time

Tried to leave you
I've got a little secret
Save the last dance for me
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

I haven't seen any Townsville Bulletin or like reviews yet, as they probably won't surface until tomorrow, but I thought in the meantime I would post some eloquent and interesting (FB excerpted) comments by my 35 year old nephew Leighton, whose twitter photo is also posted above, and who was there with my sister, Anne:
Well I'm pleased that I was able to take one decent non-blurry photograph of the Leonard Cohen gig so enjoy that. Sucked in to all the rookie Townsville punters who walked out when he said good night (for the first time) and missed out on 3 encores (30 min) worth of material. Even though this isn't the style of music I'd ordinarily gravitate towards, I have to make one thing clear from the outset: I am in awe of this man. 79 years old and still killing it. He assembled a veritable A-Team of 9 musicians to support him (sourced from around the world) who were dripping with both talent and technical skill. It was a joy to watch consummate professionals go about their business for 3 hours delivering a treasure trove of classics. I was watching all the instruments in action... accordian, harp, violin, spanish guitars, organs, keyboards, upright bass, .. even a gong... everything was deployed with enviable dexterity. Song highlights for me were concert bookend songs 'Dance me to the end of love' and 'Save the last dance for me' as well as 'Bird on a wire' and the timeless classic 'Hallelujah'. I honestly I can't say that I've seen a stage showered with roses like it was tonight. The oldies were loving it!
Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
B4real

Post by B4real »

Today is travel day for the UHTC and me. Another aeroplane, city, and concert. If I could just get my Babylon candle to function all this travelling would be so much easier! Townsville was an enjoyable concert for a variety of reasons. The concert itself, being conveniently next door to my hotel, meeting other forum friends and so many band members and UHTC crew. Last night after the show met Sharon in the elevator. An unexpected and pleasurable encounter.

Once again, I had an absolute dead centre front seat. I’ve been really spoilt at the last 3 concerts! The stage seemed a little further back but I think lower than Cairns and the total width was smaller. The arc the band usually forms took up the whole area so no one was looking at them as one vertical line or behind them. Leonard and band received a standing ovation before they started, as has been the case in all Aussie concerts. To me the show seemed to start off slowly then gradually gained momentum. I suppose that’s how it goes with all the concerts; I just hadn’t noticed it til this one. The crowd was respectfully vocal and attentive with the occasional outburst until the encores when it all seemed to be let loose on stage and in the audience. Mind you, the woman sitting next to me was very animated all night and sometimes vocal; she was obviously having the time of her life!

I’ve finally figured out what was wrong with my camera. I suspected it could be not using a flash and it proved to be the case. When it was all happening during the encores I decided I could get away with a few shots on flash and here are a couple, actually the first one with no flash and the second one was -
“I’ll wear an old man’s mask for you” - I'm Your Man
“I’ll wear an old man’s mask for you” - I'm Your Man
It was lovely meeting antipodean heart and her husband! She said she recognized me from my avatar on the forum. I suspect they may now be going to the Hill Winery near Geelong. At the beginning of the encores she came down to the front with a bunch of roses and very kindly gave me some to throw on the stage. The gesture by all the rose-throwers was appreciated by LC and the band, except maybe the last one I threw trying to make sure it landed near his feet. Well, I didn’t know I was that good at javelin throwing albeit a bit inaccurate – my previous one fell short! If he hadn’t taken evasive action it may have speared him near the right hip! But it was a thornless rose end first! Leonard picked one up and sung with it for a while.
“I see you there with a rose in your (hand)”
“I see you there with a rose in your (hand)”
The audience started clapping at what they thought was the end of Tower Of Song so Leonard didn’t go on with any monologue. He sang the original words to Going Home this time. We were privileged to get the complete third encore listed on the stage set list which is below. I think that’s only the 4th time I’ve Got A Little Secret has been sung anywhere. I was sure he would use the lines of “I bought a ticket for the tropics” seeing that’s where he was but instead he said, “I bought a ticket to Townsville” – definitely more appropriate in the circumstances! Unfortunately, I’ve ruined the recording with my spoken pre-emption of the original word!

On the way to the airport this morning I was talking to the taxi driver about the concert and he stated the morning paper he had showed a piece on it. He said I could tear it out literally and I did! Here’s the review –
"a piece that was torn from the morning (paper)"
"a piece that was torn from the morning (paper)"
more following -
Last edited by B4real on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Post by B4real »

IMG_0198-T13.jpg
IMG_0199-T13.jpg
Here's the stage set list for Townsville -
IMG_0205-set-list-T13.jpg
And a link to version four of "I've Got A Little Secret" viewtopic.php?f=80&t=34421&start=15#p341709

Now, I need some food and sleep to be functioning for tomorrow night in Brisbane.
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

To B4real :)

Dear Bev, your stories are colorful and interesting. Distinguished by the fact that there is in them much of your emotions and experiences. I read all, with each city where you were. For me here is so much new words from Leonard . I'm grateful for it. Thank you for all reports.

Regards from Poland :D
Beata
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thank you Beata,
Glad you are enjoying my adventure with me. I had a wonderful time in Townsville :D
B4real

Post by B4real »

I’m needing to distract myself from things at the moment and it’s funny how the right path reveals itself. Leonard to the rescue! I found myself going through my photos from the eight concerts I went to of Leonard’s last tour in 2013 here “down under” in Australia and found some that I haven’t yet posted.
Some of you may remember that my camera seemed to take on a mind of its own on certain occasions so some of these shots are a little “abstract” for want of a better word. In any case, we can relive some moments of the last concerts the UHTC have played.
IMG_0192-T13a.jpg
IMG_0195-T13b.jpg
IMG_0201-T13c.jpg

Return to “TOUR 2013 IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND”