CONCERT REPORT: Melbourne, Australia - November 20, 2013

The last leg of the Old Ideas tour in November and December 2013
HelenOE

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Melbourne, Australia - November 20, 2013

Post by HelenOE »

Review by David Gill in the Daily Review
When purple lights slowly illuminated the stage and the silhouette of Leonard Cohen skipped into view at the Rod Laver Arena the hushed and reverent atmosphere was reminiscent of an Easter Vigil or a midnight mass. Well, a mass held in a venue which last time you were here saw Federer demolishing Djokovic. But Cohen – a Canadian Jew — elicits Old Testament awe even in this soulless stadium.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by Nicko Sokaluk -

Famous Blue Raincoat (short clip)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi3C02HfVpM
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

B4real wrote:Part of his dialogue in Tower Of Song:
“You must be kidding! Is this is some sort of charity for the elderly. I know that it was nothing! You think that’s all I can do though, don’t you!” -
:D thank you for reminding me about this.

...and then he ran his elbow along the keyboard, loved it!
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

HelenOE wrote:Review by David Gill in the Daily Review
When purple lights slowly illuminated the stage and the silhouette of Leonard Cohen skipped into view at the Rod Laver Arena the hushed and reverent atmosphere was reminiscent of an Easter Vigil or a midnight mass. Well, a mass held in a venue which last time you were here saw Federer demolishing Djokovic. But Cohen – a Canadian Jew — elicits Old Testament awe even in this soulless stadium.
:lol: literally purple prose that refers to Cohen as a Canadian Jew? He transcends labels like this...let alone Old Testament awe. I suspect this bloke is pulling our leg! His sport reference only supports my assumption, even I know Federer didn't make it to the final in the 2013 Open and Djokovic beat Murray (we oldies still think Federer is number 1 methinks).

Journalism in Australia is going to the dogs, a lot of what I've read in the Australian press this time round is ill informed and condescending to the musicians and their audience, I put it down to 'tall poppy syndrome' or plain old ageism (refer to above quote). He gets 4 1/2 stars instead of five, he is being damned by faint praise and yet I think this tour is even better than the last. It has a different band, they are doing new material and yet this is barely mentioned.

I prefer to read impressions of the concerts from forum members, people who really know their subject :D

Edited to admit that I found the rest of this review still showy but more pleasing. Liked this bit the best:
He is compelling to watch, even with the standard and somewhat minimal range of moves as he drops to his knees, doffs his hat, bows graciously to his three vocalists, Charley and Hattie Webb and his collaborator Sharon Robinson. His nine musicians led by Roscoe Beck are equally mesmerising and, at times, take the spotlight, including Javier Mas on guitar and Rafael Gayol on drums, who epitomise the musical direction of the show, which is unshowy and masterful. Not for Cohen the flashy video back drops or theatrical clothes–changes of the modern pop icon. The power of his ability to communicate with his audience, as if each one of us was the only one in his temple, makes all trickery redundant.
But did not get the 'breaking bad' reference at all :?

Also did some fact checking on google:
Djokovic and Federer have played three times at the Australian Open, with Djokovic winning twice and Federer winning once. The first time they met was at the 2007 Australian Open, where Federer won in straight sets.
6 years ago, that's when this reviewer thinks we oldies last went to the Rod Laver Arena.

2010 -- Melbourne
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

http://youtu.be/K1KuVY8sxGo

The Future

Includes some of the opening remarks.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

AlanM

Post by AlanM »

http://youtu.be/lPtIRCZZDJ8

Tower Of Song

Includes banter with the audience before and during the performance.

Alan
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

http://youtu.be/qjNhZe0eipE

Going Home

Slip of the tongue @ 1:14 when LC sings "sorrow" instead of "burden".

Alan
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

http://youtu.be/R51o24zXUjE

The Partisan

I didn't get much of a view of Javier and not a whole lot better view of Alex.

Alan
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

http://youtu.be/ZBm2n8iPKgo

Famous Blue Raincoat

That's all, Folks!

Alan
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

AlanM wrote:http://youtu.be/OAVpc5GooJo

Amen

Alan
Thanks for the videos Alan - so nice to revisit that night! 8)

By the way, just a comment on 'Amen' above: I liked the variation where he added the word "goddam" to horror, to emphasize the latter.

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
B4real

Post by B4real »

Yes, thanks Alan - I haven't looked at them yet - running out of GB - need to recharge soon.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

Thanks Alan, great filming, you must of been as quiet and still as a mouse! I can watch them over and over again to relive my favourite bits. :D

Enjoy the rest of the tour,
BM

GB?

2010 -- Melbourne
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.beat.com.au/music/leonard-co ... aver-arena
Leonard Cohen @ Rod Laver Arena

By Bronius Zumeris

The bevy of nubile vixens listing intently to the anaemic strains of a literary troubadour in a cafe on the French Riviera are no longer. They have been replaced by reverential hordes seated patiently, and even more intently, and basking in the presence of undoubtedly the most fashionable 70-something gent in popular music.

Mid week and not a spare seat in the Arena as the expectation builds. There was no support act, but this duly allowed Mr Cohen more time within which to enchant the audience over the course of 26 songs. The ladies man of yore is now the wise Uncle Leonard. But you would not have thought so at first blush as Mr Cohen and band walked onstage looking like more sinister elements of Sinatra's Brat Pack.

These guys looked like they "know people." But the fleeting hearts were hushed when Uncle Leonard reassured the audience that "we will give you everything we've got". And for nearly three hours they did. From Dance Me To The End Of Love to I Tried To Leave You and everything in-between.

Three encores later he did leave us. But not after a glorious and flawless flick through his vast repertoire. Bird On A Wire, Everybody Knows, Tower Of Song, Suzanne, The Partisan joined the likes of Darkness, Amen and Come Healing. There was no visual schmaltz detracting from Uncle Leonard and band. A few projections on the curtains was the extent of it. Rather it was flamenco, sweeping harp, angelic backing vocals and a band as tight as a vice. Every person on stage was accorded the opportunity to shine. The instrumentalists played virtuoso solos, Sharon Robinson and The Webb Sisters sang Alexandra Leaving and If It Be Your Will respectively.

In a paternal manner, Uncle Leonard thanked people for "not going home" after the interval and having "some charity for the elderly". These moments were answered in a Woody Allen like "You kidding me." There was also a Dylan moment when Mr Cohen picked up the guitar. One got 'Judas', the other 'Jesus'. A comment so apt and ironic on so many levels that only enhanced an impresario performance beyond compare by a man sharing his legacy.

BY BRONIUS ZUMERIS

Loved: Lover Lover Lover.
Hated: Saying goodbye.
Drank: Lemonade.
B4real

Post by B4real »

I’m needing to distract myself from things at the moment and it’s funny how the right path reveals itself. Leonard to the rescue! I found myself going through my photos from the eight concerts I went to of Leonard’s last tour in 2013 here “down under” in Australia and found some that I haven’t yet posted.
Some of you may remember that my camera seemed to take on a mind of its own on certain occasions so some of these shots are a little “abstract” for want of a better word. In any case, we can relive some moments of the last concerts the UHTC have played.
IMG_0055-M13a.jpg
IMG_0063-M13b.jpg
IMG_0065-M13c.jpg
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “TOUR 2013 IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND”