Travelling Pack - What's this about?

This is the place for forum members to help one another experience the best possible travel to Cohen-related events or get-togethers
jarkko
Site Admin

Travelling Pack - What's this about?

Post by jarkko »

This year will be full of Leonard's concerts and other LC-related happenings (the Hydra Meetup, the 3rd Leonard Cohen Walking Weekend in Galway, Ireland, and other meetups around the concerts).
Many of our members would love to have travel and accommodation hints from local members.

This new section is Kelsey's (KaimiK's) idea. She writes:
Welcome to Traveling Pack, a place for Leonard Cohen forum members to help one another experience the best possible travel to Cohen-related events or get-togethers.

Trying to find the cheapest route to fly from the U.S. to London for a concert? Wondering which is the most scenic route from London to Oberhausen? Seeking the quietest hotel on Hydra? Want to meet for coffee and a walking tour in Austin? This is the place to post your questions and learn from the collective travel wisdom of this great community!

Please be advised that this forum is for the exclusive use of forum members with the purpose of assisting in travel related to Cohen events or get-togethers. This is not the place to post commercial information from travel business owners or promoters.
The Traveling Pack is open for your questions, hints, ideas... !
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Re: Traveling Pack - What's this about?

Post by Mabeanie1 »

What a great idea! Thank you Kelsey for suggesting it.

As some of you will know, I do a fair bit of travelling one way or another and I will be happy to chip in with suggestions and pointers if I think I can help.

Wendy
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

Thanks Wendy! As one who loves to travel, I thought this might be useful for those making plans and enjoyable to read for those like me, who don't have as much time to travel as in past years. And my apologies to those from my mother country who prefer the 'll" spellings of traveller, travelling... My e-mail and this forum both autocorrect back to the single "l" spelling! :lol:
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Kelsey,

This is wonderful and should provide a much needed resource in one section. Thanks for suggesting it and to Jarkko for seeing the value in it and making it a separate section.

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

What a brilliant idea, Kelsey! With members surrounding the globe....and members who have generously given of their time previously to assist others regarding hotels, and/or things that can't be missed at a destination, this is a wonderful
addition, and I love "Travelling Pack". Catchy name. Hopefully as the extensive touring season approaches there will be many additions to this thread. Thanks!

Diana
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

Great idea, Kelsey. And a very useful addition to the forum, Super J.

Now, how to funnel all the travel questions into this spot from the many random locations people ask this sort of thing? How about several of us take a minute and post a simple message in every current concert thread. Being proactive in this might help. One post per city? If you see a relevant thread , please post a word about TP's existence. If someone has already gotten there, go to the next city.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Perhaps the moderators can start moving those travel tips topics here until we get used to doing so on our own?
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
elainecohen

Post by elainecohen »

Is this where I post to see if anyone is getting together before or after the LC concert in Halifax?? Thanks
regensburg

Post by regensburg »

What a wonderful idea, especially when Leonard is on the road so much this year. Looking forward to all the postings of meet ups, Hotel stays etc. Thank you. I really like that it is strictly for Forum Members. What a treat. Best Wishes, Jutta
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It caught my eye and now I see why! EXCELLENT idea, Kaimik! GREAT idea to incorporate it, Jarkko! This is going to be SO helpful to SO many! So many times, I've had to find ways to ask different places, get caught up in PMs to get the best answers, and in so many cases, there may have been others with the same ones, but it didn't feel right to just go on and on with one detail question after another. Now, it's ALL legit! So many here are well-traveled... and so many here still need all those tips! Count me amongst the latter.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Gabby

Re: Travelling Pack - What's this about?

Post by Gabby »

I have just come across this 'thread' called Travelling Pack and I think it's a brilliant idea, well done on taking it on! As I have always traveled abroad with hubby we have always managed to find our way around and/or plan journeys to venues etc. However I would love to attend more concerts than my husband's free time would allow so this may mean traveling alone in the future and this is where I think this thread would prove invaluable, for me anyway! It may even be a 'chatting point' for the forum members who are traveling alone to arrange or plan joining up...(or am I just being a silly old woman again!!!)

Gabby :oops:
Olwen

Post by Olwen »

When and where abouts are people meeting for the walking weekend in Galway or have I missed it?
Olwen
Plymouth 1976, Kilmainham Dublin 2008, 02 Dublin 2009, Lissadel Sligo 2010,
Kilmainham, Dublin 2012, 02 Dublin 2013, Leonard Cohen Dublin Event 2014.
Travelingladiesman

Post by Travelingladiesman »

Hello Olwen,

We will have our walking weekend from the 19th to 22nd of September in Galway....you are more then welcome to join us......lots of music and song.....and the odd pint here and there :?
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Olwen, use this link to the Walking Weekend details: http://leonardcohenfiles.com/walking2013.html
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

Olwen wrote:When and where abouts are people meeting for the walking weekend in Galway or have I missed it?
Not surprised Olwen didn't find this - it has been pretty well hidden away, hasn't it!
Ring the bells that still can ring...

Return to “Traveling Pack”