CONCERT REPORT: Winnipeg, Manitoba - April 26, 2013

Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
holydove

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Winnipeg, Manitoba - April 26, 2013

Post by holydove »

Thank you for the wonderful review, Leslie. Wow, it sounds absolutely incredible! If Leonard ever goes to Winnipeg again, I am there & nothing will stop me!!
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Great review Leslie. It is a amazing how the crowd can affect the feel of the concerts! Leonard and
The band seem to respond so well to an enthusiastic and appreciative crowd and it seems like
The love was really coming their way last night especially from the lady who yelled our "Leonard I want
To have your baby". It had me cracking up when I read it so I can see how it really had Leonard going!

Obviously all of these shows are great but every now and then there is a real gem and last night's concert
Seemed to be one of those. I am glad that you and Joy were able to be there. Thanks again for your
Comments on the show last night.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Wonderful review Leslie, thanks for sharing.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
martali

Post by martali »

mutti wrote:
..I am in 7th heaven ...
and I was in 7th heaven too reading your passionate story, thank you so much dear Leslie :D
Marta
B4real

Post by B4real »

Love it Leslie! How wonderful for you and Joy to have been there to see a one off concert :D
.... I wonder if there's any possibility of a video of "Choices"..... or even an audio.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
holydove

Post by holydove »

friscogrl wrote: the lady who yelled our "Leonard I want
To have your baby". It had me cracking up when I read it so I can see how it really had Leonard going!

Marsha
Leslie wrote that it was a GUY who yelled that out (which makes it even funnier & would explain Leonard's laughing outloud). Leslie or Joy: can you confirm whether this delightful shouter was male or female? Sorry, but I really must know. . .

So glad you were both there to enjoy this amazing concert!!
st theresa1

Post by st theresa1 »

great pic of Leonard in Winnpeg
Attachments
My brother in law posted this pic on fb
My brother in law posted this pic on fb
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Oh my , it was a guy who shouted that out! Yes, that definitely makes it funnier!

M
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
mutti

Post by mutti »

It was definitely a man who yelled it out! I laughed outloud as did most of the crowd. I was fortunate enough to be sitting front row centre. Leonard thanked all the people who were way up high in the nosebleed section and then thanked those of us who were in the 'expensive' seats. I haven't heard that one before.
I am not sure but it seemed like people were singing to parts of Famous Blue Raincoat and So long Marianne. I sat next to the nicest man who had been to a couple concerts and we swayed together a few times and somehow the whole crowd fed off each other. Hallelujah was intense as was Suzanne. A hush came over the audience...this was special somehow. I fell in love with Leonard's voice and music all over again. And the biggest gift was getting to know Joy even better than before in less than 24 hours...The friends I have made through this forum have enriched my life.
Once I am home If I think of more things will add them.
Leslie ;-)
Last edited by mutti on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.examiner.com/review/leonard- ... id=dlvr.it

"Earlier in the night, Cohen had joked, "It's ok if you need to leave early, we're going to be here a long time." He wasn't kidding! Fans can only hope this Canadian treasure remains with us for many mores years to come."
Leonard Cohen at Winnipeg MTS Centre Concert Review

Leonard Cohen
April 27, 2013
By: Robert Rheubottom

Leonard Cohen demonstrates Juno Award winning style at Winnipeg's MTS Centre
Credits: Paul Butterfield/Getty Images

Rating for Leonard Cohen Old Idea concert, Winnipeg MB, April 26, 2013, MTS Centre
5 STARS

Leonard Cohen made a triumphant return to Winnipeg's MTS Centre last night (4/26), performing hot on the heels of winning artist of the year at the 2013 Juno Awards.

The iconic 78-year-old singer-songwriter/poet literally hit the stage running and received a standing ovation from the throngs of adoring fans.

Garbed in this trademark fedora and gray suit, the charismatic entertainer opened the night with a trio of classics, "Dance Me to the End of Love" from his 1984 studio album "Various Positions" along with the title track from his 1992 release "The Future" and the timeless "Bird on a Wire" from 1968's "Songs from a Room."

Cohen's sonorous voice sailed readily above the expert musicianship, tastefully supplied by his ace backing band, which included: Roscoe Beck (bass and longtime musical director), Rafael Gayol (drums), Javier Mas (bandurria), Alexandru Bublitchi (violin), Neil Larsen (keyboards), Mitch Watkins (lead guitar), and superb vocal harmonies supplied by his song-writing collaborator Sharon Robinson and the Webb Sisters.

The Montreal native thanked his fans for coming, including, "those who had to climb to their seats and those who had to walk to the lower seats down front," and apologized for having to postpone the originally scheduled March 11 date due to a flu outbreak among the band.

Cohen's handpicked musicians play an integral role in his show, each receiving plenty of solo time and recognition from the legendary singer-songwriter. In retrospect, it's little wonder that he chose to postpone rather than attempt to play without any one of them.

The show was separated into two halves with each set including chestnuts from his rich back catalogue along with new offerings from his critically acclaimed 2012 studio album "Old Ideas.”

"I hope this is not a farewell tour," Cohen joked. "But you never know when we’ll meet again. I promise, for tonight, we’re going to give you all we’ve got.”

He proceeded to do just that. Clocking in at nearly four hours, Cohen's performance seemed as ageless and timeless as his body of work. The octogenarian ran onstage for each set, skipped offstage afterwards and often dropped repeatedly to his knees in repentance or seeking forgiveness, frequent themes in his song lyrics, wringing emotion out of every syllable, word and phrase uttered.

"Darkness," "Amen, and "Come Healing" were among the new offerings served up in the first half, which wrapped with 1988's "First We Take Manhattan," a sensuous recitation of "A Thousand Kisses Deep" and a second "Future" fan fav - "Anthem."

After a brief intermission, Cohen manned the keyboard to open the second half with 1988's"I'm Your Man" wry humored "Tower of Song" after which he donned his acoustic guitar for a sensuous reading of his exquisite 1967 ballad, "Suzanne."

"Future" track, "Waiting for the Miracle," preceded two more "Old Ideas" selections - "Anyhow" and "Show Me the Place."

Highlights included Cohen's 1974 only "New Skin for an Old Ceremony" entry "Lover Lover Lover" and Sharon Robinson's lead vocal turn on Cohen's 2001 album "Ten New Songs" (co-written and produced by Robinson).

The second half wrapped with the "I'm Your Man" title track, the oft covered but ever stirring "Hallelujah" and Cohen's 1986 "Poets in New York" contribution "Take This Waltz."

In his first of three encores Cohen performed 1967's "So Long, Marianne," the lead-off track from "Old Ideas," titled "Going Home" and another "Future" crowd fav "Closing Time."

He returned with a stirring rendition of "Famous Blue Raincoat,” followed by a riveting vocal turn by the Webb Sisters on "If It Be Your Will," along with a first time set appearance of George Jones' hit "Choices," as a tribute to the late country legend (also dedicated to the memory of fellow Canadian greats Stomping Tom Connors and Rita MacNeil) and wrapped with "Old Ideas" closer "Different Sides."

With tongue planted firmly in cheek, he returned for a final encore, the aptly titled, "I Tried to Leave You!"

Earlier in the night, Cohen had joked, "It's ok if you need to leave early, we're going to be here a long time." He wasn't kidding! Fans can only hope this Canadian treasure remains with us for many mores years to come.

Leonard Cohen final Canadian date is tomorrow night in Regina, SK at Brandt Centre.

See Leonard Cohen's official website for more details.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Dear Leslie,

Thank you, thank you for your joyful report!!!! Sounds like you and Joy had the best of times. From the sound of it, this concert and the last few (I'm thinking especially of Louisville), LC has become much 'looser' in his performances and seems to be having the time of his life!

Affectionate regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
frankandme

Post by frankandme »

Leslie it was a real delight to read your report! As I went on reading I could feel the heartbeat go up :) It almost felt like being there !
Glad you and Joy had such a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing.

Martine
mutti

Post by mutti »

Here are a few things I forgot to mention:
During Leonard's talk about smoking again at 80 he mentioned the brand of cigarettes the nurse would give him.
He said she would give him a Du Maurier which is a Canadian brand of cigarettes.

I know I mentioned this already but I don't think I will ever forget after singing Different Sides and before skipping off the stage before coming back for more encores when Leonard said, "Don't let anyone change how you make love friends". I may have gotten the words wrong but it had quite an impact on me. If anyone there remembers the exact words (Joy) or has it on video please correct me. I may be totally off on the wording.
I did love it and it has had a lasting effect on me. There was so much spontaneity in the performance.

I just listened to a couple of the you tubes posted on the beginning of this thread. If you listen to First we Take Manhattan you will get the feel for the crowd as this went on all evening. Where were you Albert? We needed you...

Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Thanks for the delightful review, Leslie - it was fantastic that we both had exactly the same feelings when we spoke at the interval and afterwards! This concert was a gift for me, as it was a totally impulsive decision made only two or three days beforehand. And boy,was I glad that I did!

I knew we were going to be in for an amazing evening when Leonard first came onto the stage. He just stood there and gazed around the audience with a HUGE smile on his face and it felt even more special than ever. After "Dance me" Leonard apologized for the fact that the concert had had to be rescheduled. Well I for one was glad that it was, because I couldn't have gone to the original one on March 11th! He said he hoped this wouldn't be the farewell tour, but added that "for a while there we thought it might be", which brought lots of laughs and applause from the audience.

The band was sizzling on Friday night. "Everybody Knows" was very upbeat, and watching Sharon and the Webb sisters the phrase "rock chicks" came to mind - they just belted and boogied through "Now we take Manhattan" which had much of the crowd up on it's feet dancing. Some of the harmonies seemed different too. I don't know if this has evolved since my last concert, but I noticed it particularly in "Who by Fire", and in "Darkness" with their lovely humming accompaniment. "Darkness" was low and sexy, and Leonard's "Oh yeah" at the end brought me out in goosebumps!

Leonard chatted a lot in this concert, probably more than I've known since this whole adventure began. Before "Aint' no cure" he made the now familiar "lighten up Cohen" remarks, but added a hilarious comment about the main hazard of staying in all these "pretty nice" hotels..... the magnifying mirror in the bathroom!!! (I can relate to that one!) The smoking banter before "Anyhow" continues, but seems to have become lengthier and more detailed - as Leslie mentioned, the cigarettes are now Du Maurier - and the nurse is now wearing stockings! And he has two bubbles in his IV instead of one. Leonard seemed to really enjoy telling these stories, and was laughing out loud at his own jokes - delightful to witness. "Anyhow" was very smokey and Leonard's crooning transported me to some seedy basement jazz club - it's incredible how he manages to do that in a hocky arena. Alex was amazing in "Anyhow" - again the magic between him and Mitch was a joy to behold, and Neil was pretty amazing too. I feel that the interaction and chemistry between Mitch and Alex has really evolved - there were some spine-tingling exchanges, but the one which I loved the best was in "Amen". Pure magic.

At the end of the first set after "Anthem", Leonard invited the road crew onto the stage - something else I haven't seen in a while - it was a lovely gesture. At the beginning of the second set, Leonard thanked us all for not going home, adding that it was OK if we did, but that "we're gonna play a long time" - to the delight of the adoring audience. I thought "Lover, lover, lover" was incrediby passionate - I love that song anyway, but wow it blew my mind away on Friday. "I'm your man" seemed jauntier than ever, and as Leslie mentioned, "Hallelujah" brought the whole crowd to it's feet yet again.

There was just a sea of smiles on stage for "Closing time" and it was clear that the band was having a blast. It was one of the happiest few minutes I've ever experienced at a Leonard Cohen concert and we were all up swaying and singing along. Leonard literally raced back on stage after the first encores and that was when we heard the hilarious baby comment from somewhere behind us. Leonard was just cracking up and could hardly sing the first line of "Famous bue raincoat" for laughing. Once he'd settled down he sang a very pensive FBR, and Alex was phenomenal - much applause and appreciation from the crowd. After "If it be your will" Leonard said "I don't want to keep you, but we're going to play a few more songs". It was then that he made the touching tribute to "recent departures from the Tower of Song" which Leslie has already described so beautifully. The exact words after "Different sides" as Leonard skipped off stage were "Don't let them change the way you make love". I adored the way that as he left the stage each time, he stopped and looked up at the people sitting at the sides and smiled and waved - so touching. Finally, we had "I tried to leave you" and again I detected new harmonies in this, although for me that song always sounds fresh and new.

I think it's true that Leonard and the band were fuelled by this amazing and appreciative audience and I think they would happily have played for hours - as it was, we got nearing 4 hours of perfection. Maybe I enjoyed it even more because I hadn't expected to be there, but I just had so much fun in Winnipeg. A big thank you to Leslie for being there and sharing the craziness - we just couldn't stop talking about it!!!
Last edited by joyezekiel on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Loving the reports for you and Leslie Joy! Glad you both were there to experience such a wonderful evening and thank you for reporting back to us here :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”