CONCERT REPORT: Winnipeg, Manitoba - April 26, 2013

Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Winnipeg, Manitoba - April 26, 2013

Post by sturgess66 »

This show was originally scheduled for March 11, 2013 and was cancelled due to an outbreak of flu. Both this show and the show in Regina, Saskatchewan were rescheduled.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... w-flu.html
Leonard Cohen Winnipeg show postponed to April
CBC News
Posted: Mar 8, 2013 5:11 PM CST
Last Updated: Mar 8, 2013 7:31 PM CST

Leonard Cohen's March 11 show at Winnipeg's MTS Centre has been re-scheduled to April 26, due to an outbreak of the flu among several band members.

Cohen's Los Angeles-based promoter made the announcement late Friday, saying Cohen "regretfully" made the rare decision to re-schedule the show out of concern for the health of his musicians.

All tickets for next Monday's performance will be honoured for the April concert, the MTS Centre said in a news release.
The venue is MTS Centre, an indoor sports arena and entertainment centre, located in downtown Winnipeg. The centre opened in 2004 and the seating capacity is approximately 16,345. It is known to have excellent acoustics.

sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Winnipeg, Manitoba - April 26, 2013

Post by sturgess66 »

http://login.greatbignews.com/UserFiles ... 0_2013.htm
MINGLE - YOUR E-GUIDE TO ALL THINGS DOWNTOWN
April 23 - April 30

He's Your Man

The legendary Leonard Cohen visits Winnipeg's MTS Centre this week only days after winning Artist of the Year at the 2013 Junos.

The "Old Ideas World Tour" featuring music from his #1 chart topping album "Old Ideas" has been enchanting audiences worldwide with his laid-back charm and incredible connection with the crowd. For more information or to buy tickets please visit: http://www.mtscentre.ca/events/detail/leonard-cohen
mutti

Post by mutti »

Winnipeg is sunny and happy
just like me and Joy! hAving fun...
It's almost concert time!
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Keep Calm Winnipeg, You’re One Great City!

The Gift of a Golden Voice

Light It Up

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Winnipeg Free Press - some very nice pictures here -
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/multim ... 53661.html
Slideshow: Leonard Cohen at the MTS Centre, April 26
Posted: 8:51 PM | Comments: 0

Leonard Cohen and his band play the MTS Centre Friday night.
mutti

Post by mutti »

OK friends The Winnipeg concert was THE BEST concert I have ever been to! I know we have heard that before but so many things happened that I have never seen or heard before...the crowd was wild,there must have been 5 standing ovations or more, the crowd knew almost every song from the first note played,Leonard had so many laughs and told a lot of stories some new.. I am sorry but I need to go to bed but will write more when I get home tomorrow. I am so honored to have been there and that Joy E was there to hang out with.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Phenomenal concert tonight. I didn't think anything could be better than Memphis, but tonight was! I think Leonard and the band fed off the crazy crowd - I've never seen Leonard laugh so much. Have been up since 3am this morning, so will post full report when I get home. Meanwhile here is set list:

Dance me
Future
Bird on a wire
Everybody knows
Who by fire
Darkness
Ain't no cure for love
Amen
Come healing
First we take Manhattan
Thousand kisses deep
Anthem

Tower of song
Suzanne
Waiting for the miracle
Show me the place
Anyhow
Lover lover lover
Alexandra leaving
I'm your man
Hallelujah
Take this waltz

So long Marianne
Going home
Closing time

Famous blue raincoat
If it be your will
Choices (tribute to George Jones)
Different sides

I tried to leave you
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Winnipeg Free Press -
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/ ... 65661.html
Review: Cohen Still A Musical, Lyrical Force

By: Alan Small

Leonard Cohen (seen here with two of his backup singers) delivers a moving performance at the MTS Centre Friday.

First he takes a Juno. Then he takes the ’Peg.

Leonard Cohen may be at the top of the Canadian musical mountain, but he still knows his place in the universe.

Friday, April 26
MTS Centre
Attendance: 6,500

4 1/2 stars out of five

The 78-year-old Montrealer kneeled on his prayer bones at the MTS Centre Friday night, pleading for redemption from a higher power and begging for forgiveness from an adoring crowd.

He was supposed to perform here on March 11, but the flu swept its way through his exceptional band, so the gig was rescheduled until Friday night.

The wait was worth it.

Cohen is just six days removed from winning the Junos’ artist of the year award at its gala Saturday in Regina. He showed why he was such a deserving choice during the first of two sets Friday night.

During his first set, he blended his treasure trove of classics, such as the opener, Dance Me to the End of Love, a country-blues version of Bird on a Wire and a sweet rendition of Ain’t No Cure for Love with three new songs from his critically acclaimed 2012 recording Old Ideas, which has slices of his recent wit and wisdom.

One of them, Amen, had Cohen back on his knees, left hand clenched by his cheek, seeking the unattainable love that is so close, yet so far away.

During the second set, another new one, Show Me the Place, proved to be another song to add to Cohen’s famous ones. Cohen’s voice, already known as one of the deepest in contemporary music, almost reached Paul Robeson territory when he pleaded, "Show me the place, where you want your slave… to go."

The soulful skeleton of Cohen’s show remains similar to the sumptuous Live in London album/DVD of 2009, which re-introduced his classics to a new generation of listeners. But those heart-rending bits of Canadiana were instead performed with a western style that matched the bolo tie Cohen was wearing.

And a fiddle, superbly played by Alexandru Bublitchi, replaced the usual instruments of wind during early solos, adding a different mood compared with Cohen’s famous live recording.

Later, Spanish guitar wizard Javier Mas brought the show back to Europe prior to Who by Fire, and his deft touch earned four separate bursts of applause from Cohen’s polite fans.

Cohen was also accompanied once again by singers Sharon Robinson and the Webb sisters, Hattie and Charley. They fit so well together, it’s hard to imagine Cohen without a trio of right-hand women by his side.

The sardonic Tower of Song kicked off the second set to plenty of giggles before another one of Cohen’s titans, Suzanne, hushed the audience. For three or so minutes, they were transported to an earlier time, as the great songs so often do. The same effect would happen at the beginning of a lengthy encore, when So Long, Marianne took the MTS Centre back to the Mediterranean, 1960, even if it was just for a moment or two.

Hallelujah came near the end of the second set, and it continues to be a fan favourite, despite its overuse by Hollywood. The song can pack an emotional wallop, and Cohen squeezed every bit of feeling out of it, and his gestures earned one of the biggest cheers of the evening.

Mortality is never far from the topic of conversation for rockers in their 70s, and the subject came up near the end of Friday’s concert. Cohen acknowledged the recent passing of Stompin’ Tom Connors and Rita MacNeil before playing Choices, a song from American country legend George Jones, whose death was announced earlier Friday.

Cohen joked early on that he hoped this latest series of shows wouldn’t be known as a farewell tour, and after seeing him perform Friday night, it would be a shame if it were.

alan.small@freepress.mb.ca

Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

sturgess66 wrote:Winnipeg Free Press -
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/ ... 65661.html
Review: Cohen Still A Musical, Lyrical Force

Mortality is never far from the topic of conversation for rockers in their 70s, and the subject came up near the end of Friday’s concert. Cohen acknowledged the recent passing of Stompin’ Tom Connors and Rita MacNeil before playing Choices, a song from American country legend George Jones, whose death was announced earlier Friday.
I am so glad that Leonard mentioned Rita as well as Stompin' Tom and George Jones of course. Canada has lost some truly great artists this year, and it's still only April.

I wish I could have heard him sing Choices in tribute to them all.

Wendy
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

@CBCMDB Lovely but unnecessary apology from Leonard Cohen for postponing the show, which is getting off to a great start! #winnipeg
from Division No. 11, Manitoba https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BI0sadtCAAAlU0q.jpg
@CBCManitoba - CBC Music presents Leonard Cohen: Old Ideas Tour live at the MTS Centre tonight! pic.twitter.com/6BmAsTzQt1
@bigcanadiano - Tell me again - Leonard Cohen - winnipeg 2013 pic.twitter.com/2fBnatRFhT
@penguinstorm @julespenner Leonard Cohen could have a man playing an anvil with a sledgehammer in his band and i’d be into it.
@MichaelJGilmour - Leonard Cohen is in the house. pic.twitter.com/3FrPzKYWGD
@ChattiestCathy - Amazing storyteller, with a dash of humour, and a pinch of swagger. #LeonardCohen live at the @mtscentre!
@bigcanadiano - Leonard Cohen dancing machine pic.twitter.com/WXzswq8Phy
@crazyindapeg - @JeffHalhead just threw his boxers on stage at Leonard Cohen! Good times!
@bkives - Two hours and 40 minutes into this Leonard Cohen show, and I don't think the drummer has used the gong. Gong, damnit!
@sadbillionaire - Where do you think Leonard Cohen buys shorts?
@ChattiestCathy - #LeonardCohen is badass. Bad. Ass.
‏@Philori - Classy act that Leonard Cohen
@KateGajdosik - #LeonardCohen you don't disappoint! #Firstyoutakemanhattanthenyoutakeberlin Great show so far! https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BI0udS4CcAQA6RR.jpg
@ArwenAmanda - Yeah! “: I'm not religious but if Leonard Cohen started a church, I would go. #SacredAndProfane https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BI04OA6CUAAVIOb.jpg
@SherryLN - Just saw the amazing Leonard Cohen in concert tonight. So happy to finally see this great man perform live!
@margolundy - Love Leonard Cohen. So gracious. Beautiful night.
@CarolCarolmac - It's never Closing Time for the people's poet #LeonardCohen. Fantastic show in Winnipeg tonight
@JoshSchamberger - Just watched Leonard Cohen play for 4 hours with only a 15-minute break here in Winnipeg. He turns 79 in a few months. #LEGEND
@cherenkov_ - I like how Leonard Cohen finished up the concert with a cover of Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song. Nice surprise. #Cohen #JK
@Jellopuke - Holy moly, Leonard Cohen plays for over 3.5 hours and ads in a last minute George Jones cover! Talk about memorable 6th time for me!
‏@newpicnictime - At the Leonard Cohen concert people cheered whenever he sang the word "old"
@KikiGeebout - Sharon Robinson, the Webb sisters with the voices of angels and an array of talented musicians plus #LeonardCohen = perfection!
@JenZoratti - Leonard Cohen, consummate gentleman and poet. I'm Your Man killed.
@valerie_lp - Saw a real legend tonite. What raw talent, musicianship, conviction, what a character, Leonard Cohen is the real deal + THE MAN!!
@vanessakuzina - @leonardcohen tributing George Jones in his 3rd encore. #grace
@KaliLeary - Special tribute to George Jones by Leonard Cohen: Choices #MTSCentre
@wynterdaze - Sea of people in the last of many standing ovations, following the phenomenal Leonard Cohen concert --… http://instagram.com/p/YmIq2qB2lZ/
@REFRESHconcepts - If you haven't heard of Leonard Cohen, step up your life game. #culture #arts #icon
@lukasneville - Leonard Cohen is just the coolest man alive.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by "mrtravelman2" - Thanks!

Dance Me to the End of Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vw93CWct9Y
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by bigcanadiano - Thanks!

Anthem (beautiful ... )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9azdfMaWWo

Short clip of - Everybody Knows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFWnpTK52Po

Who By Fire (no Javier)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icf88rLfZso

Suzanne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KqWrwmSh3E

First We Take Manhattan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiBAylRUt00
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Mabeanie1 wrote: I am so glad that Leonard mentioned Rita as well as Stompin' Tom and George Jones of course. Canada has lost some truly great artists this year, and it's still only April.

I wish I could have heard him sing Choices in tribute to them all.

Wendy
Yes - I think I recall reading on Twitter - people complaining that no honor or tribute was paid to Stompin’ Tom Connors and Rita MacNeil at the Juno Awards. Well - Leonard did it. :D

And - ditto - about "Choices"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQMI7TksYo0
"Choices" - George Jones

I've had choices since the day that I was born
There were voices that told me right from wrong
If I had listened, no I wouldn't be here today
Living and dying with the choices I've made

I was tempted, by an early age I found
I liked drinkin', oh, and I never turned it down
There were loved ones but I turned them all away
Now I'm living and dying with the choices I've made

I guess I'm payin' for the things that I have done
If I could go back, oh, Lord knows I'd run
But I'm still losin' this game of life I play
Losing and dying with the choices I've made

sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Posted on Facebook by The Webb Sisters -
https://www.facebook.com/thewebbsisters

jamming in the greenroom, Winnipeg
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thanks for all the twitters and news reports. Now I am going to give some facts and thoughts and impressions from being at the concert last night Live and in person and hopefully that will add some personal flavor to the thread. Joy Ezekial and I had a lot of fun, laughs and a great time together. A lot has been said already and I am going to report out of chronological order as my mind doesn't work that way so bear with me.
The Winnipeg Crowd was so much fun and totally into Leonard. it was nice to be at a Canadian audience where even the start of a song with initial strumming the crowd broke into applause. Before the words started. This happened a lot and much more than I have experienced before. There must have been over 5 standing ovations before the encores.
The applause seemed to take Leonard by surprise...the sheer intensity of it and the joy the crowd was feeling.
Leonard was talking a lot, smiling a lot and laughing. In the 2nd set he mentioned 'we' have lost stomping Tom Conners, Rita, Richie Havens and today George Jones. I was touched by the familiar loving way he said 'Rita' knowing or assuming that all Canadians (including me) knew he meant the incredible Rita McNeil. It was amazing to hear the band sing 'Choices'.
One of the band members told me they rehearsed it only 3 times in the green room and everyone got it by then.
He called out all of the road crew to come on stage and introduced them at one point.
The funniest was when Leonard started to play Famous Blue Raincoat and a guy yelled out loudly "Leonard I want to have your baby!" Leonard started laughing, and waited till he stopped to start the song. It was so great to hear him laughing outloud. The was a young couple who were hooting and holloring like they were at a heavy metal concert. The sounds weren't nice so although I loved their craziness and enthusiasm it was a bit off. So many "I love u Leonard" were yelled out so much swaying and love for him. I think last night's Hallelujah was the best and most passionate I have heard Leonard sing. He played Different Sides and after the applause he ended an encore saying I think...don't let anyone change the way you make love". I love that advice...I think Joy has the exact words and she will share it. We couldn't stop talking about the concert for hours. I may remember more later but 'enough for today'.
Leslie 8)
I am in 7th heaven and will never forget this concert or the wild crowd and of course the joy Leonard seemed to portray of all this madness and love for his music.
1988 Vancouver

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”