CONCERT REPORT: St. John's, Newfoundland - April 20, 2013

Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
Joanallan

CONCERT REPORT: St. John's, Newfoundland - April 20, 2013

Post by Joanallan »

I cannot believe that I will be blessed enough to sit front and center for Mr. Cohen's concert tomorrow night. I have seen him and the band perform before and I can only say it was absolutely flawless!!!! This will be my absolute thrill of a lifetime. I just can't wait!!!!!! SO EXCITED!!!!!!
mutti

Re: Concert in St. John's April 20th

Post by mutti »

Looking forward to hearing your concert report Joanallan. Have fun and enjoy!
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: St. John's, Newfoundland - April 20, 201

Post by sturgess66 »

The venue is Mile One Centre, an indoor arena and entertainment centre located in downtown St. John's. A fairly new facility, it opened in 2001and the seating capacity is approximately 7,000. From Wikipedia - "The centre's name comes from it being located at the beginning of the Trans-Canada Highway."

Leonard Cohen last played in St. John's in May, 2008 - three shows - May 25, 26, 27. The venue was Holy Heart Theatre.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11161

St. John's is the largest city in Newfoundland and Labrador, and also the capital city. It is located on the Atlantic Ocean coast and is the oldest and most easterly city in North America. A colourful city no matter what the season.

Iceberg watching is a tourist attraction
Joanallan

Post by Joanallan »

Has anyone going to this show received the contents of the Diamond Package (aside from tickets) yet???? I have not. I am told I should have been sent an e-mail directing me how to pick up this stuff but I am not in receipt of anything. :(
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Joanallan wrote:Has anyone going to this show received the contents of the Diamond Package (aside from tickets) yet???? I have not. I am told I should have been sent an e-mail directing me how to pick up this stuff but I am not in receipt of anything. :(
Joan - there is information in this thread about VIP packages - viewtopic.php?f=70&t=33128&p=323692#p328080
regensburg

Post by regensburg »

I have not received my package as of today, went to Memphis on 24 March. Marie informed me that the packages went out a couple of days ago, so we should receive them shortly. Looking forward to the new stuff.
Joanallan

Post by Joanallan »

OMG!!!!!! Tonight is the big night!!!!!! Been dancing and singing along to Cohen all morning. So excited..... Hardly slept the past two nights. I just can't wait for the master to take the stage.... It's like entering a whole other dimension. Mr. Cohen and the band truly give it their all ..... And that is just a beautiful thing to behold!!!! Report to follow tomorrow!!! :D
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

@Christine_V_C - Currently in the same city as the legendary L. Cohen. Can't even handle it right now. #leonardcohen #mileone
@KKellyNF - Leonard Cohen reminder: If you are heading to show at Mile One tonight, doors open at 7, Cohen takes the stage promptly at 8. #donotbelate
@puppymcpooch - If Leonard Cohen plays "avalanche" tonight, that would be a turbo excellent birthday surprise! #birthdaypooch @LeonardOnTour
@STR8EDG - I can say nothing... I am beyond excited and am sure I will end up weeping! #potd #LeonardCohen http://www.flickr.com/photos/str8edg/8666227162/
@HarryLaSabre - Just saw Leonard Cohen going down Prescott St. on a skateboard juggling Ginsu knives!!
DanMacEachern - Waiting for Leonard Cohen to start. So many fedoras!
@AnthonyGermain - Leonard Cohen is signing an old book of his poetry I've had for years. I'm a blubbering idjit at the moment.
@DanMacEachern - I hope Mile One Stadium has extra security on hand for all the rowdy Leonard Cohen fans tonight. Feels like it’s about to throw down.
@J_Ko__ - Observation: 1) most of the people DT tonight are silver haired. 2) Leonard Cohen is at the stadium. Coincidence? I think not.
@SeanPanting - Waiting for Leonard Cohen to start at Mile One. Disappointed by the lack of pre concert weed odour. All I smell is red wine and money.
@LPercy15 - Leonard Cohen with emercer321! #leonard #cohen #mileonecenter @ Mile One Centre http://instagram.com/p/YV8rh1iVYd/
from Division No. 1, Newfoundland and Labrador
@zachgoudie - @AnthonyGermain looking sharp as the Leonard Cohen's MC! https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIVBSh4CQAE6Wa0.jpg
@roger_maunder Minutes away from Leonard Cohen! #mileone http://instagram.com/p/YV_3A9rvCN/
@JillieStar - #leonardcohen show opens with a bang! What a voice! #legend
@five_ht - Hey guys. I am 10 rows away from Leonard Cohen right now. https://twitter.com/five_ht/status/325742853600968705
@melissaroyle Standing ovation before the show even started. #leonardcohen @ Mile One Centre http://instagram.com/p/YWGvXAyOPb/ from Division No. 1, Newfoundland and Labrador
@puppymcpooch - Leonard Cohen is swooning the crowd! His voice is like honey in my ears. He loves his band + crew. What a guy. WHAT a GUY.
@TeddyFye - I love today. #leonardcohen https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIVYf8aCMAA8gXU.jpg
@LynneCunningham Full house at Leonard Cohen show! pic.twitter.com/yGTcRWGgjJ
@seliharris - Leonard Cohen is much loved here, with all the standing ovations so far. Good times!
@tara_bradbury - Leonard Cohen... anyone else get teary-eyed when he did the spoken word of "A Thousand Kisses Deep?" Intermission- 3 standing Os already.
@UncleMeggie - Currently getting my mind blown at the Leonard Cohen concert. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIVZzqnCIAEZxA7.jpg
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
sue7

Post by sue7 »

There's a really stand-out Keep Calm poster from Joey for tonight:

Keep Calm St. John’s
(Fun Fact: St John’s is closer to London, UK than it is to Edmonton, CN)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Joey -

A Crowd Warm Enough To Melt The Coldest Of Hearts

Dance Me and the night’s begun.

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/484 ... t-up-cohen
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Brenda O'Reilly ‏@brendaoreilly 2h
Leonard cohen obviously doesn't suffer from arthritis, wow!
Jillian Stoyles ‏@JillieStar 2h
Enjoying my @jumpingbeanjbc coffee at #leonardcohen show tonight! Too bad it's enough to toast ya in here @MileOne_Centre
Paul Kinsman ‏@PaulKinsman 1h
I wonder how many babies are gonna be conceived after the Leonard Cohen show tonight. Leonard might even make a few himself:)
Paul Heppleston ‏@heppletron 48m
Halfway through Leonard Cohen show. They don't look or sound like southern rock. Gonna yell Freebird soon, I think.
Katie Stenson ‏@kateaanne 48m
I'm as in love with Leonard Cohen's backup musicians as much as the man himself. #swoon
Ken Forward ‏@haberdine 46m
Amazing show! And among the concert warez, #leonardcohen is selling a skeleton key keychain. Who knew he was into #locksport? #defcon
Kathleen Ryan ‏@Kajury 46m
Having amazing time @ Leonard Cohen concert. He is amazing!
Beth Macdonell ‏@bethmacdonell 13m
Leonard Cohen and the Ladies. pic.twitter.com/ERk0GYRhMc
John Drover ‏@JohnDrover 14m
Enjoying a sedate Leonard Cohen show. pic.twitter.com/2gWmeea74R
Val Murray ‏@valmurray579 12m
Great sense of humor #leonardcohen
M Power ‏@mpgorbie 9m
The heat at Mile One fits this Leonard Cohen song. Any one else feel like it's the deep South? Or Mexico?
Kevin K ‏@KKellyNF 2m
HALLELUJAH! #Leonardcohen pic.twitter.com/HdZwsZg5nG
Jillian Stoyles ‏@JillieStar 2m
#leonardcohen wows the crowd with hallelujah #amazing show! pic.twitter.com/KdeMp158aT
Jillian Stoyles ‏@JillieStar 2m
Love #leonardcohen 's little skip off the stage #cohenrules!
DR ‏@DRobichaud22 5m
Watching a living Legend #LeonardCohen in Newfoundland. The fans here are always amazing here! What a night!!
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Kevin K ‏@KKellyNF 7m
The Webb Sisters do a lovely version of If It Be Your Will. #leonardcohen pic.twitter.com/BNmMPxFPDV
Anna Delaney ‏@annabeesy 8m
how is he still going?! #leonardcohen
Kevin K ‏@KKellyNF 6m
Save the last dance for me #leonardcohen pic.twitter.com/w36kDpy39K
Sean Panting ‏@SeanPanting 3m
Leonard Cohen is giving everybody their money's worth anyway. #stillgoing #isthisthegratefuldead?
Jim Hand ‏@csm709 3m
#leonardcohen well done sir
John Gushue ‏@JohnGushue 1m
Leonard Cohen will be 79 this fall, and he just finished a Springsteen-length show in St. John's. Amazed.
Virginia C McGuire ‏@vcmcguire 2m
Leonard Cohen has still got it. I cried all my eye makeup off during "Bird on a Wire." http://lockerz.com/s/289975535
Miriam Anisha Bowlby ‏@MiriamBowlby 2m
Leonard Cohen is awesome. What a concert
Monique ‏@MoniqueEveline 2m
Leonard Cohen you are simply amazing! Marvelous show tonight!! #LeonardCohen
Nancy ‏@esthero19 1m
Another incredible performance from Leonard Cohen tonight. I hope I'm half as sexy and cool when I'm 78! #classy
hanny

Post by hanny »

Incredible show, my second time seeing him, first time was in 2008 at Holy Heart, I knew what to expect this time, but Leonard and the band did not disappoint. Personal highlights were Sisters of Mercy being played after Suzanne, and Famous Blue Raincoat, which got a loud, enthusiastic response from the crowd, nothing against past versions, but I found the version he played last night to be better than the version from Songs from the Road, which had a lot of saxophone, last nights was more stripped down and pretty much perfect (to me at least). The setlist was the same as a lot of the other shows, with the exception of Sisters of Mercy being played between Suzanne and Waiting for a Miracle, those 3 songs in a row was the best part for me, but the whole show was great, while leaving all I could hear were people talking about how happy they were, and how great Leonard sounded. Really great night.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Last edited by sturgess66 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Another video - this one uploaded by Mme Osmond - Thanks!

Suzanne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhTERK_mnTQ

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”