CONCERT REPORT - Wallingford, CT - April 2, 2013

Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
Damfino

Re: CONCERT REPORT - Wallingford, CT - April 2, 2013

Post by Damfino »

Yes, Roscoe is back, and looked no worse for wear. Leonard acknowledged him as "a leader and victim of these many campaigns." All were in very fine form, maybe most of all LC.

And the set list:

First set:
1. Dance Me to the End of Love
2. The Future (w/ spoken intro)
3. Bird on the Wire
4. Everybody Knows
5. Who by Fire
6. The Darkness
7. Ain't No Cure for Love (w/ hotel-room mirror conversation intro)
8. Amen
9. Come Healing
10. Democracy
11. A Thousand Kisses Deep (spoken)
12. Anthem

Second set:
13. Tower of Song
14. Suzanne
15. Waiting for the Miracle
16. Show Me the Place
17. Anyhow (w/ introductory musings on smoking and IV drips and becoming a lounge MC)
18. Lover, Lover, Lover
19. Alexandra Leaving
20. I'm Your Man
21. Hallelujah
22. Take This Waltz

First encores:
23. So Long, Marianne
24. Going Home
25. First We Take Manhattan

Second encores:
26. Famous Blue Raincoat
27. If It be Your Will
28. Closing Time
2-19-09 - Beacon, NYC / 5-14-09 - Palace, Waterbury, CT / 5-15-09 - Webb Sisters - Webster Hall, NYC / 5-16-09 - Radio City, NYC / 5-30-09, Boston, MA / 10-17-09 - MSG, NYC / 11-5-09 - Nashville, TN / ??
holydove

Post by holydove »

As has already been said, the concert was fabulous, & it was wonderful to see that Roscoe is back & apparently doing fine as ever. I was very impressed by the acoustics in the theater; every tone & nuance was amazingly clear & vivid; it was so good that even the silence behind/around the sound was loud & clear. Leonard was strong & extremely passionate, & all the band members seemed happy & gave very inspired, excellent performances.

The audience was relatively reserved, I thought, but absolutely attentive, reverent & loving. (New England culture, I guess. . .I'm a transplant here, originally from NYC, so the reservedness would stand out for me). Except for some women in the back - I think they were in those weird corporate boxes - & one of them kept yelling out "I love you, Leonard", & at one point Leonard responded, "I'm very fond of you too", & there were some other women who were repeatedly shouting out their love in unison. At the end of the concert, when everyone was leaving, two women (probably the same ones who were shouting during the concert) were standing in front of a corporate box, yelling out "thanks for coming, let's do this again, sometime. . ." I guess there is no shortage of alcohol in those boxes; but good for them, I like their enthusiastic expressiveness.

After the last song, when Leonard & the band were leaving the stage, a bunch of people (including me) rushed to the front of the stage, & I said to a very young guy (probably in his 20's) standing next to me, "this is what we should have done about 40 minutes ago", & he laughed & agreed & said, "That was holy"(referring to the whole concert, of course); not that we didn't know this, but it was nice to have personal, one-on-one confirmation that recognition of the sacredness of the phenomenon of Leonard Cohen spans the generations.

There seem to be some new musical arrangements, which I esp. noticed in Ain't No Cure & Who By Fire. Show Me The Place was done faster than usual, & I'm happy to experience it live in whatever manner it's done, but I love it more in its slower version; & Lover Lover Lover, Anyhow & Darkness get more amazing by the minute.

Thank you to Leonard & the UHTC for coming to Connecticut!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Oh Rachel,

I always love reading your reviews. Thank you for this one especially.

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Robin Orfe

Post by Robin Orfe »

Holydove,

I simply could not put it better than you just stated.

I saw Leonard in Boston last December 15th for the first time. Last night was my 2nd time, and my husband's 1st time.

It was spectacular!!! It exceeded my expectations!!! Absolutely phenomenal. The interplay with the audience was so wonderfully intimate. That part was lacking in Boston last year. Leonard spent a great amount of time speaking to all of us, and he did it in a way that made me feel he was speaking only to me. The experience last night was nothing short of glorious!!!

The girls, as usual, were fabulous! Sharon Robinson's solo "Alexandra Leaving" nearly brought me to tears, as did Leonard's recitation of "A Thousand Kisses Deep".

Hatti and Charley Webb "If It Be Your Will" - What can I say to describe THAT??? Another moment of being "this close" to tears.

A night of so many, many wonderful memories that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. Seeing Roscoe Beck on stage, and healthy again - what a bonus!!!!

And what can I say about Javier Mas? He's a genius!!! There was some kind of magic in the air, and I inhaled deeply. Each breath was pure heaven.

That's the BEST way I can describe last night. Magical!!!!!

-Robin-
dari

Post by dari »

sturgess66 wrote:And looking forward to seeing "everything you've got" :D

Show Me The Place with a little extra...
http://youtu.be/ij-qsc3OPKc

Dari
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

dari wrote: Show Me The Place with a little extra...
http://youtu.be/ij-qsc3OPKc

Dari
Oh. My. That was good. Too good. Kind of needing a cigarette myself now (or an IV) after watching that... :D
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by dari »

mnkyface wrote:Oh. My. That was good. Too good. Kind of needing a cigarette myself now (or an IV) after watching that... :D
I how you feel, mnkyface. :-)

Here are my last two videos...

So Long Marianne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro4hUK1w ... zM-2tkvrlg

Going Home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExjFoTH0 ... zM-2tkvrlg

Enjoy... "drink it in" :-)

Dari
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox »

dari, not only was that a great recording and some great camera-work, you catured what (to me) was one of the best performances of So Long, Marianne that I've seen - either live in 7 concerts or out of dozens on YouTube. The Voice remains very powerful and resonant!

Even though Leonard claims to not be fond of nostalgia, it must be impossible to not stir some emotions when singing a song written for a lover of some 45 years ago.

Concerts 8, 9, & 10 are just around the corner. Thanks for the primer.
dari

Post by dari »

Thank you, Steve for your kind words. Glad you enjoyed the video.
It was a pleasure to be there. Wish I was going to Radio City this weekend. :-)

Dari
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks everyone for your reports etc but I have two extra things to say:

Rachel,
You have such a wonderful way with words - You take me there with you!

Dari,
Your camera work (as Steve says) is excellent! It give a total flavour to the song and what's happening with everyone in the band as well as close-ups on Leonard.

So enjoyable, thank you both so much!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
dari

Post by dari »

Thanks you kindly, B4Real.

I am not used to filming with a point and shoot camera and without a tripod.
Holding a camera still for this long is daunting.

Please excuse my sudden jerky movements and distorted panning. :-)

Dari
elizabeth925

Post by elizabeth925 »

I'm curious if any audio was captured. The videos are superb!!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Nice photos Dari!

Some video - uploaded by jeffreyclark34 - Thanks!

It is not close up - but the audio is good.

Hallelujah and Take This Waltz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoBRdgwFF9M

So Long Marianne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_-BHOLUYfA
dari

Post by dari »

sturgess66 wrote:Nice photos Dari!

Some video - uploaded by jeffreyclark34 - Thanks!
Thank you, sturgess!
And thank you for posting more video of the CT concert. Was hoping there would be more...

Kind Regards,
Dari

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”