CONCERT REPORT - Louisville, KY - March 30, 2013

Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
tammigirl

Re: CONCERT REPORT - Louisville, KY - March 30, 2013

Post by tammigirl »

After a pretty good (for my definition) search of youtube I can not come up with a video of The Future. I really would love to have a copy of Leonard himself doing the White Man Dance if anyone knows where I can find it.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Spindrift wrote:To Mary B, I desperately hope that North American audiences do not take Lief's hint. I would hate to go to a Cohen concert and find that he was being drowned out by amateur singers.
I think that what Lief was referring to was the refrain in 'So Long Marianne' (not the whole concert :shock: ). LC seems to glow when the audiences (especially in Europe) sing that refrain :D
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

tammigirl,

Such an entertaining blog - thank you! Welcome to the forum!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Citizen_Kane wrote:
Also, has anyone noticed he changed the melody for everytime he sings the "you who wish to conquer pain"-line? (Where the chord progression is: C > E > Am > F). I like it! It's playing safe I guess, the 'new' melody he sings is more his lower vocal safe zone, whereas the original melody goes up.

And one final comment: though I agree with everyone that it's great to see that Avalanche has made its way back to the setlist (it ís my favourite Cohen song), I pity the fact that Leonard Cohen can probably not hold up his distinct strumming pattern for the full song anymore and just starts to strum away at several points in the song. It took me a bit by surprise and weakened the characteristic sound of the song imho.
Yes, I did notice the melody change: I thought that it changed the feel of the song. But Leonard seems to work on his songs in different versions so often, that I wouldn't presume at all that he was necessarily "playing it safe," although I think you're correct that the new melody is more comfortably within his vocal range. He could as easily have been performing a new-feel Avalanche, which I think is borne out by the addition of the violin, and the more percussive instrumentation in both the keyboard and guitar strumming pattern (I didn't interpret that at all as his inability to hold up the old strumming pattern).

I was very struck the other day when I listened to a recording of Dance Me To The End Of Love with Perla Batalla and Julie Christensen: the quality and feel of their voices were so profoundly different from Sharon Robinson and Hattie and Charley Webb's voices singing together. It's not that one is better than the other: they resonate differently, in the ear and in the heart. I think something similar is going on here with Avalanche.
Personally, I missed the intensity of the version he played in 2010, but this version has other things to offer.
Citizen_Kane

Post by Citizen_Kane »

sue7 wrote:I was very struck the other day when I listened to a recording of Dance Me To The End Of Love with Perla Batalla and Julie Christensen: the quality and feel of their voices were so profoundly different from Sharon Robinson and Hattie and Charley Webb's voices singing together. It's not that one is better than the other: they resonate differently, in the ear and in the heart. I think something similar is going on here with Avalanche.
Personally, I missed the intensity of the version he played in 2010, but this version has other things to offer.
Thanks for the reply. Different versions definitely "resonate differently, in the ear and in the heart". That's a great way to put it, and I agree. And I also missed the intensity of the version he played in the last tour.

It is one of those songs he does not play very often, but I have been fortunate to see/hear him play Avalanche three times! And the first time in Brussels 2008 was magical. If I recall correctly, the recording of Avalanche on the Songs From The Road cd/dvd is from the same year. Very intense indeed. To me, more intense than the one in Louisville.
2008: Manchester, Brussels (2), Rotterdam - 2009: Lisboa - 2010: Lille, Dortmund - 2012: Ghent (3), Amsterdam (2) - 2013: Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam!
mhc

Post by mhc »

After a few days to sink in, I'm still blown away.
2013-Louisville
hazey

Post by hazey »

Great report, MaryB. Must have been an incredible, different concert. Glad Roscoe is back and feeling well, though.

And..wonderful videos, wirebird. I now really want to hear "Anyhow" in a concert :)

Thank you!
1988 : Madrid / 2008 : London O2 Jul 17 / 2009: Madrid, Bilbao / 2010: Lisboa, Tours / 2012: Paris 2x, Madrid, Lisboa / 2013: Paris, Roma, Brighton
mhc

Post by mhc »

I really loved the arrangement on Lover, Lover, Lover and the jaw Harp on Democracy.
2013-Louisville
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

MaryB wrote:
Spindrift wrote:To Mary B, I desperately hope that North American audiences do not take Lief's hint. I would hate to go to a Cohen concert and find that he was being drowned out by amateur singers.
I think that what Lief was referring to was the refrain in 'So Long Marianne' (not the whole concert :shock: ). LC seems to glow when the audiences (especially in Europe) sing that refrain :D
Thanks, Mary for clearing that up!
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

Every once in a while there is a concert that capture people's souls deeper than the usual (very deep) level. Louisville definitely qualifies.
Magic Powder/ Secret Sauce that makes it memorable long after it's gone.
Thanks all for the reviews, like Bev, I agree that they make following the tour from afar as close as one can feel to really being there.
Henry, thanks for your exceptional as always vids. I too cracked up at the Anyhow/ Cigarette at 80 tidbit :-D

Roscoe's sound was greatly missed, and though it's not at all surprising the band's unified efforts to fill in for him seemed effortless and sounded incredible, now that I know, between Leif's blog and Dr. HGuy's interview with Mitch, how little time they had to pull it off - I'm in awe.
I was relieved to read the good Jewish doctors cleared him to return to stage in CT.
I found his note as moving as they come. A mirror of the uniqueness of this community.

So much looking forward to reports from NYC. Many friends who are there - have a blast.
-- Sharon
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
Wirebird

Post by Wirebird »

It isn`t over yet. Here are a couple of more videos from Louisville:

Going Home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A69FZn6m7bI

Closing Time (applause for Mitch) and Famous Blue Raincoat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDaTkn5mnFk

It It Be Your Will (The Webb Sisters)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRhgaH-kOe4

Save The Last Dance For Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrSE6tg7McI
85: Oslo 88: Oslo (2x) 93: Oslo 08: Gothenburg 09: Langesund; Bratislava; Prague 10: Malmø; Oslo; Oakland (2x); Las Vegas (2x)
12: Ghent (2x); Halden; Gothenburg; Helsinki; London; Verona; Paris (2x); Lisboa; Montreal (2x); Quebec; NYC; Brooklyn
13: Memphis, New Orleans, Louisville, London (2x), Antwerp, Mannheim, Brussels, Rome, Pula, Stockholm, Odense, Oslo, Bournemouth, Brighton, Birmingham, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Wellington (2x), Auckland.
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

Great videos. Thanks you so much for the great job!
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

Wirebird wrote:It isn`t over yet. Here are a couple of more videos from Louisville:

Going Home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A69FZn6m7bI

Closing Time (applause for Mitch) and Famous Blue Raincoat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDaTkn5mnFk

It It Be Your Will (The Webb Sisters)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRhgaH-kOe4

Save The Last Dance For Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrSE6tg7McI
Precious, precious vids.
Thank you Henry!
--Sharon
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
libraryref

Post by libraryref »

My wife and I traveled from Fredericton, NB Canada to see the show in Louisville. We were totally amazed by how good it was. Many, many thanks to Leonard, the band, and the crew. what a performance! I have seen Leonard twice before but had not seen him perform Alexandra Leaving, avalanche, or Famous Blue Raincoat. I guess I can die happy now.

Get well soon, Roscoe.

Steve
Fredericton (May 11, 2008); Toronto (June 6, 2008); Louisville (March 30, 2013)
B4real

Post by B4real »

tammigirl wrote:After a pretty good (for my definition) search of youtube I can not come up with a video of The Future. I really would love to have a copy of Leonard himself doing the White Man Dance if anyone knows where I can find it.
Hi tammigirl, here you are! He does the dance moves twice, near the beginning and just before half way through. I just did a quick search and found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6DOhtCaKLk
The Future (with white man dancing Dublin 14th June 2008 - video by our own IrishAL 8) )

Plus you might want to check out the link below (I haven't) possibly some more videos there.

http://1heckofaguy.com/2009/02/04/accor ... s-dancing/

enjoy! .... and welcome to the forum :D
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”