CONCERT REPORT - Louisville, KY - March 30, 2013

Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
cohenadmirer

Re: CONCERT REPORT - Louisville, KY - March 30, 2013

Post by cohenadmirer »

Would love to hear avalanche :D
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://musicalbox.bloginky.com/2013/03/ ... ard-cohen/
in performance: leonard cohen

March 31, 2013 @ 4:09 am

leonard cohen

Best Easter ever.

That was the roar that came from the balcony last night at the Louisville Palace as Leonard Cohen wound down an elegant yet almost mercurial version of So Long, Marianne.

At that point, Easter Day was still an hour or so at bay. But given the strong spiritual components that drove some of Cohen’s finest songs, such an audience boast seemed to hold water. Of course, the often Zen-like reserve and politeness that surrounded the veteran songsmith’s performance played their parts, too.

Throughout this extraordinary 3 ½ hour program, Cohen wore one hat (a stylish fedora, an accoutrement also adopted by most of his band members and stagehands) but played many roles. Depending on which song from his 45 year recording career was dialed up, Cohen portrayed elder romantic, poet philosopher, enlightened mystic, jazz hipster, socio-political correspondent and, yes, even dirty old man. At age 78, he has won the right to inhabit all of those roles.

Sonically, though, the performance was a feast. Cohen’s eight member band served as an orchestra of sorts, coloring each song with what can best be described as a lush hush. Veteran pop-soul keyboardist Neil Larsen’s Hammond organ leads, which regularly shifted from the churchy to the soulful, along with the solos of Spanish guitarist Javier Mas (who also played cittern-style banduria and the lute-like archilaud) provided much the exotic cool behind songs like Darkness (one of six works performed from Cohen’s 2012 album Old Ideas) and Tower of Song.

But the evening’s musical make-up wasn’t without its quiet indulgences. Complimenting Cohen’s wispy baritone was the support of an ultra-tasteful vocal trio made up of Sharon Robinson and sisters Charley and Hattie Webb. Quite often the three deviated from traditional harmony singing and served almost as a Greek chorus to some of Cohen’s deeper, darker songs. “Get ready for the future; it is murder,” sang Cohen with quiet doomsday bravado during the title tune from his 1992 album The Future. The beautifully distanced reply from the vocal trio was as succinct as it was sleek: “Do do do.”

But worldly as songs like The Future were, as spiritually forthcoming as works like Hallelujah seemed and as regally poetic as chestnuts like Bird on the Wire still sounded, Cohen wasn’t above going low. Anyhow was all sly carnal deviousness with Cohen singing his decrepit come-ons (“Even though you have to have to hate me, could you hate me less?”) with the sort of whispery sleaze that brought Frank Zappa’s I’m the Slime to mind. There was also the pure after hours joy of Closing Time, an anthem that simply signaled the arrival of further misadventure.

Perhaps the wildest aspect of the show was how youthful and gracious Cohen appeared. He regularly descended to bended knee to sing, placed his fedora over his heart when a particular solo struck him and seemed genuinely apologetic when announcing to the crowd early into the show that co-guitarist Mitch Watkins was substituting for the recently hospitalized Roscoe Beck (the band’s musical director) on bass.

“I hope you won’t feel any disgrace to the enterprise,” Cohen said.

Not a chance. With Easter (the best one ever, mind you) at hand and songs that themtically ran from the basest urges of earthly desire to contemplations of redemption, Cohen was the epitome of sagely, poetic grace.
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

My husband and I drove from Kansas to Louisville for the concert complete with my crutches and my healing broken leg! We had third row seats which were perfect. We knew we were being treated to something very special. There seemed to be a spontaneity about the performance and having read the report from backstage, It seems that we were right. The concert finished at 11:45 pm after three and a half hours of magic, and when we made our way slowly back to the hotel just a block away we joined our fellow concert goers for a drink in the bar, we were still on a Cohen 'high' which sustained us all the way back to Kansas.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

The Palace Theater
Located at the lower end of the 4th Street entertainment district, it is surrounded by some buildings that have not yet been renovated. The outside sign could use some fresh paint. Upon entering the venue, one is surrounded by opulence and an overabundance of ornateness. Extravagant carvings everywhere - in the lobby, the bar area, and of course the theater itself. It is indeed one of the most, if not the most beautiful theater we have been in.
The seating area for the 3 rows in the pit, was separated by a solid red curtained barrier, where entry was allowed only from either extreme right or left side. Upon entry into this area, after verifying our seat location, security put a black and white checkered band on our wrists. If we left the area, all we had to do was show our wristband to re-enter. A first for me at an LC concert and extremely convenient. The seats in the pit are removable, so unlike the comfy theater seats, these were hard chairs, but with a minimal amount of cushioning. A small price to pay for an excellent seat in the first row where proximity to the stage was so close that the stage could easily be touched when seated.
Seating capacity is 2800. There were people outside the theater looking to buy tickets because they said the show was sold out. And yet, the seat between George and myself and Wirebird (whom we had the privilege and absolute pleasure to finally meet) remained empty throughout the show. I did turn around at one point during the second half and saw a number of empty seats.

More later.....
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
SeldomSeen

Post by SeldomSeen »

“The minor fall, the major lift.”

Nothing sums up my Leonard Cohen concert experience in Louisville better than this line from “Hallelujah.” When I realized that Roscoe Beck wasn’t playing I was a little bummed, fearing the absence of the band’s “sentry” might jeopardize the setlist and perhaps the quality – or at least the richness – of the music.

Not at all. Our spirits were lifted high as my wife and I enjoyed another mesmerizing Leonard Cohen concert, our second in six days after seeing Leonard the previous Sunday night in Memphis.

True, we didn’t hear one of my favorite songs, “First We Take Manhattan,” but the addition of “Avalanche” was quite a treat. And when they played “Closing Time” early in the first encore, I thought maybe the show would end early. But then they finished with some standards (“Famous Blue Raincoat” and “If It Be Your Will”), and I was overjoyed to hear “I Tried to Leave You.”

I was also happy that the guy behind us, who was drunk and had badly sung some of the lyrics out loud much of the night, left during the first encore.

All in all, the Louisville show didn’t quite match my Memphis experience, but only because that’s where we saw him for the first time ever (and because it’s my hometown). Still, the Louisville crowd also had great energy, the venue was fantastic and seeing Leonard perform songs I didn’t see in Memphis made the trip more than worth it.
March 24, 2013: Memphis
March 30, 2013: Louisville
holydove

Post by holydove »

I didn't get to the forum yesterday, so I must now add my wishes for a speedy recovery for our dear Roscoe - so sorry you are ill, & I hope we will be blessed with your radiant presence again very soon.

Thank you to all who have posted the great articles, links & reviews - I've enjoyed them very much.

And Avalanche - wow, what a great treat! I would so love to experience that song live again. It's also good to see that Leonard is doing Save the Last Dance again - I love his rendition of that song.

Henry, I look forward to seeing all your very delightful videos from the 3 cities, & thank you for providing them.
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

"The perfomance was glorious. It was a ten hour drive to get there and I would do it again tomorrow. "Save the last dance for me" was a surprise. It was beautifuly done and I would love to hear him do "Put your sweet lips a little closer to the phone". His sub-woofer voice with Sharon, Charlie and Hattie in support (incomparable and sublime hardly do them justice by the way) make that song really memorable." ( My husband's comments)
He was fortunate to meet both Rafael Gayol and Mitch Watkins in the hotel elevator and exchanged a few words.They hoped he would enjoy the concert - he certainly did that.
mhc

Post by mhc »

First time here.
Saw Lenny for the first time at the Palace. The Palace has been a special place.I have seen so many great shows there since 1994. Tom Waits, John Prine, Ryan Adams, Phish, The Allman Brothers, just to name a few. Now I can add Leonard Cohen to that list. The show exceeded my expectations. Even with Roscoe ill, the show still had a dynamic that just made it so unique. It was 3 and a half hours of pure bliss. I hadn't "felt" music that powerful that hit my soul since seeing 22 Grateful Dead shows from 1990-1995.
Nowi understand why people go see him.
One, if not the best show I've seen since going to concerts since 1987.
2013-Louisville
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

The Audience

Fantastic! Almost as good as a European audience in their participation.

It was comprised of a cross section of all ages, with again, a predominance of 'mature' folks. This audience knew how to dress for an LC concert, whether from the fact that it is the home of the Kentucky Derby where dressing up is 'de rigeur' or whether out of respect to the performers on stage who take pains to show some class, and that this concert is something special in a special venue.

It was a raucous and extremely appreciative audience with the majority of exhuberance coming from the balconey and behind us to the right and left of the floor. There was one fellow in the balcony who kept yelling out at times, but it did not detract from the overall admiration shown by this audience. Louisville - who knew that they would know and 'get' LC, but they did. They only thing missing was the 'sing-a-longs' that European audiences are so good at (and even Lief's blog has mentioned the fact that 'North American audiences do not sing along like European audienced do (hint, hint)).

The Performers

Being as this was a touch and go situation, their professionalism shone.

While we were in the box office picking up our 'will call' tickets at around 7PM, George said he saw an ambulance pull up. In talking to Mike Scoble after the show, he said that it was for Roscoe. Initially, when Roscoe was not feeling well, the thought was that he would play from behind the scenes. That was not meant to be and he was taken to the hospital.

Upon entering the venue there was a stool where Roscoe usually plays. The first thought (before we knew he had to go to the hospital) was that he was still not feeling up to par and he would either sit throughout the performance or use it as needed. This was not to be and I was always aware of this gap where Roscoe always performs.

For them to figure out what to do at that late stage of the game was an incredible show of their professionalism. Mitch (and Neil) were to fill in for the bass and they did so without a fault.

In addition, Mitch also was monitoring the light and sound as evidenced by hand motions to the backstage crew. Hattie and Charley did the same. After the into to 'Who By Fire', Javier played an electric guitar. I am not savvy enough to know whether this was to fill in the bass where Roscoe usually has a high impact. When I was fortunate to speak to Mitch after the show and mentioned the additional part he played to make the concert flow so well, he said, "Well, someone had to do it.". They are truly a unified group.

The Concert

This was truly an incredible, special, and unique performance.

He has done it in Boston and again in Louisville, LC augmented the 'la,la,la,la' with an extra 'la' during 'Dance Me..' and there were little changes in the wording emphasis and tempo.

After 'The Future', LC looked at Neil, smiled and nodded as if to signify that this was fine and it is all working.

Javier's solo and Alexandru's violin undertones during 'Bird on..' were exquisite.

Neil's piano part during 'Ain't No Cure..' was new to me and LC really let it loose at the end.

There was emphasized marching and fist action by LC during 'Democracy'.

'Lover,Lover, Lover' had a new arrangement in the beginning.

'Hallelujah' had no mention of Louisville.

I never thought anyone could match Julie Christensen's duet with LC during 'Take This Waltz', but Hattie's solo of that part not only matched it, but was a triumph.

We were so very fortunate to get 'Avalanche'. I have been privileged to be at some very special 'firsts' since this tour started; the premier of 'Lullaby' in Grand Prairie, 'A Singer Must Die' in Sligo, the can-can kicks by band and crew during 'Save the Last Dance' in Paris......Mickey Sullivan told me that 'Avalanche' has not been played in 4 years, so this was very special for us. He said that LC was not that confident to do it, and Mickey told him that of course he could. Thank you Mickey and LC! I haven't see it live since '93. What a treat!

This was such an incredible concert! I know others have said how much he seems to have been enjoying himself at these recent concerts, but after the first song at this concert, I have never seen him so loose, relaxed, happy, and spontaneous.

My gosh, he would have never stopped a song (Closing Time), not just once, but twice, in the past because he got the words wrong. And by golly, when he told us to remind him it was 'angel of compassion', boy, did the audience make sure he heard us say those words to him in the right place!

Seeing as how the house lights went up after this song and it is usually a 'closing' song, even though the audience kept clapping, Henry/Wirebird and I looked at each other and said, "We are not going to get anymore". And voila! He comes back out and gives us another 2 song encore!

This one ended with another 'closing' song, 'Save the Last..' The clapping continues and Henry and I figure, silly people, 'that's it'! Unless.... What other 'closing' song? Of course, if it happens, it has to be 'I Tried To Leave You' and there it was!!!! At the rate he was going, it's like he didn't want to leave and if he had another 'closing' song, he would have done it. Guess he forgot about 'Whither Thou Goest'.

My favorite concerts were always Sligo and the first set of the last Vegas concerts. This one now becomes #1 in my book.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Mary, that's a wonderful report. Thanks a lot!

But I need to clarify one thing,
MaryB wrote:Mickey Sullivan told me that 'Avalanche' has not been played in 4 years, so this was very special for us.
Rather strange - Avalanche was played quite often in Europe, Down Under and North America in late 2010; most recently in Oakland, Dec 5-6.
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Thanks, Mary, for a wonderful report.

Leif has a lovely photo of Mitch Watkins playing bass in Louisville:
http://dragonhelm.wordpress.com/2013/03 ... e-theatre/

Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Thank you Mary & all others for great reports. We hope Roscoe is recovered. Anne & I leave for NYC on Friday morning.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Goldin wrote:
But I need to clarify one thing,
MaryB wrote:Mickey Sullivan told me that 'Avalanche' has not been played in 4 years, so this was very special for us.
Rather strange - Avalanche was played quite often in Europe, Down Under and North America in late 2010; most recently in Oakland, Dec 5-6.
Roman,

I know, I know. When he said that, my brain was whirling, trying to recall, because that did not sound right to me either. But, since I didn't have any hard statistics with me to back up any dispute I might have with his statement, who am I to question Mickey :roll:

I knew someone would catch that - good job Roman ;-) :D

Warmest regards,
Mary
Last edited by MaryB on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2013/ ... ard-cohen/

Click on link above to see slideshow - 17 photographs
Leonard Cohen At Louisville Palace Theater

Photos taken by Mike Stewart April 1st, 2013 at 11:49 am

Leonard Cohen, 78, brought his latest world tour to the Louisville Palace Theater in Louisville, KY on March 30. “Best Easter ever,” shouted one excitable woman during “So Long, Marianne.” Cohen’s dark and evocative lyrics seemed extra powerful in the ornate, Spanish Baroque-styled venue. During the performance, he frequently dropped to his knees (still in good shape, thanks to frequent meditation), as if to convey the heaviness of his words. The crowd was tuned in to his every word, stage move, and instrumental flourish. Are you patronizing me,” Cohen joked after receiving applause for a rudimentary keyboard solo during “Tower of Song.” But for those in attendance, the word “worship” was closer to the truth.

- Evan Schlansky

Set List:

Dance Me to the End of Love
The Future
Bird on the Wire
Everybody Knows
Who by Fire
The Darkness
Ain’t No Cure for Love
Amen
Come Healing
Democracy
A Thousand Kisses Deep
Anthem
Second Set
Tower of Song
Avalanche
Suzanne
Show Me the Place
Anyhow
Lover Lover Lover
Alexandra Leaving (performed by Sharon Robinson)
I’m Your Man
Hallelujah
Take This Waltz
Encore:
So Long, Marianne
Going Home
Closing Time
Encore 2:
Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will (performed by the Webb Sisters)
Save the Last Dance for Me (The Drifters cover)
Encore 3:
I Tried to Leave You
Comments
Wirebird

Post by Wirebird »

85: Oslo 88: Oslo (2x) 93: Oslo 08: Gothenburg 09: Langesund; Bratislava; Prague 10: Malmø; Oslo; Oakland (2x); Las Vegas (2x)
12: Ghent (2x); Halden; Gothenburg; Helsinki; London; Verona; Paris (2x); Lisboa; Montreal (2x); Quebec; NYC; Brooklyn
13: Memphis, New Orleans, Louisville, London (2x), Antwerp, Mannheim, Brussels, Rome, Pula, Stockholm, Odense, Oslo, Bournemouth, Brighton, Birmingham, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Wellington (2x), Auckland.

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”