Louisville advice needed

Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
SeldomSeen

Louisville advice needed

Post by SeldomSeen »

My wife and I were so taken with Leonard’s Memphis show -- our first ever -- that we’ve decided to drive to Louisville on Saturday for his show there. I waited 42 years to see him play, and now I’m going to see him twice in six days. Couldn’t be more excited.

So, I’m looking for some basic advice on good (and somewhat affordable) places to stay near the Palace as well as some nearby dining/drinking suggestions. Any advice from Louisville residents or frequent visitors would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Seldom Seen.
March 24, 2013: Memphis
March 30, 2013: Louisville
JacquelineR

Re: Louisville advice needed

Post by JacquelineR »

SeldomSeen wrote:
So, I’m looking for some basic advice on good (and somewhat affordable) places to stay near the Palace as well as some nearby dining/drinking suggestions. Any advice from Louisville residents or frequent visitors would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Seldom Seen.
Hi Seldom Seen. Not sure what your budget is like but the Seelbach Hotel has rooms for $119 and it's a nice place to stay. Two miles to the Palace. Good availability.

Should be able to get some less expensive hotel options for you tomorrow along with a couple of dining/drinking places. Have a blast.
Jackie
SeldomSeen

Post by SeldomSeen »

Thanks, Jackie! I'll look into the Seelbach, and if you have time to post more tips, that would be great. If not, I'll understand.
JacquelineR

Post by JacquelineR »

Hi again. Here's some more Louisville info from a friend who lives there:

"The $119 room rate at the Seelbach is a good one. My only suggestion would be to do Priceline and request a four star hotel and bid $50 or $75. There are several very nice hotels downtown – The Seelbach, The Brown, The Galt House – all of them within walking distance of the Palace. There are also lots of restaurants downtown. Some are high end and there are also some nice moderately priced spots. For moderately priced restaurants, I would recommend the Fourth Street Live area which begins on 4th Street at Muhammad Ali and goes to 4th and Market. The Palace is also on 4th Street (all within a few blocks)."

A note about Louisville: I'm going to both NY shows but geez Louise, if I could get myself to Louisville would go. My father's side of the family is from there and I've never even stepped foot in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Know it's a holiday weekend, but looks like there are a fair amount of decent seats available. My friend can't go because of family plans and she is crushed. I asked why their paper had given such little coverage and this is what she said: "This is no excuse but my guess is that the local paper is so caught up in NCAA basketball tournament right now that everything else is getting shoved down. In this state, college basketball rules and the Louisville Cardinals Men and Women’s teams are doing really well in the NCAA tournaments."

Have a wonderful time and please blow a kiss to Leonard for me.
Jackie
SeldomSeen

Post by SeldomSeen »

Jackie: Much love to you and your friend for the great advice. We went through Priceline and got a good deal at the Galt House. And it looks like lots of great restaurant/bar options along 4th as we stroll from our hotel to the Palace.

I'm not surprised there are decent seats available and little coverage; we had the same problem in Memphis, which is also a basketball-first city. Thankfully the crowd here came through on Sunday and if it wasn't sold out, it was damn close. I'm sure the Louisville concert will have a similar trajectory with tickets being sold up to the last minute. And thankfully the Cardinals are playing on Friday (and then Sunday if they win).

I will give my best to Mr. Cohen, and let my wife blow him the kiss for you :-)

Cheers,
SeldomSeen

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”