CONCERT REPORT: Memphis, TN - March 24, 2013

Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
joyezekiel

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Memphis, TN - March 24, 2013

Post by joyezekiel »

What a treat..... all fabulous, but especially "Anyhow" and "Lover, Lover, Lover"! Thank you, Henry.

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Some good vIdeo uploaded by Doug S. Haines - Thanks!

Tower of Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqeUP4MrU1U

First We Take Manhattan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njpGFW_pwuM
SeldomSeen

Post by SeldomSeen »

Sorry for reviving a concert thread more than seven months after the show, but in light of getting a request to forward the vine, I have just listened to a recording of the Memphis show again and I’m remembering how incredible it was. (Thanks to holydove for recording and to shooting_star_88 for sending them to me in the vine; and I hope mutti enjoys it.)

Of course, it helps that the show was my first ever, but even compared to the one other live show (Louisville) I have attended and numerous other live recordings I’ve heard, this one was special.

A few thoughts:

After the first song and during the introductions, Leonard said the band would give it all they had. They lived up to that.

Leonard was brilliant throughout, but I thought he was especially amazing on this night when performing “Bird on the Wire,” “Everybody Knows,” “Lover, Lover, Lover,” “I’m Your Man” and “So Long, Marianne.”

Javier Mas’s solo on “Who By Fire” is simply brilliant – really the entire song is. I think his intro and the song are better than the “Live in London” version.

I loved the exchange between fans and Leonard after “The Darkness” and before “Ain’t No Cure For Love.” I had forgotten how many people shouted “we love you!” at that point.

Not to take anything away from the “Master of Breath” Dino Soldo, but I think Alexandru Bublitchi’s violin is a better fit for Leonard’s music. You hear the power of his strings immediately on “Dance Me to the End of Love” and then throughout the show.

Roscoe Beck’s bass lines are so steady and perfect. I especially loved “First We Take Manhattan” since it (and he) didn’t make the following week’s Louisville show. And the crowd really got into that song’s intro with some loud clapping.

Sharon Robinson is so incredibly talented and it’s always wonderful to experience it on her solos like “Alexandra Leaving.”

I remember the crowd being pretty into the show. They weren’t as rowdy as the Louisville audience, perhaps in part because it was a Sunday night, but the Memphis fans treated Leonard and the band with plenty of “woos” and other screams throughout the night.

I remember that many people moved toward the stage and began dancing (waltzing?) during “Take This Waltz.”

Speaking of that song, Hattie Webb’s solo on the final stanza is stunning. Seeing and hearing this song live helped push it into a tie as my all-time favorite Cohen song, alongside “Famous Blue Raincoat.”

I loved the way he ended “Closing Time” (which I’m sure is the way he always does): “May you be surrounded by friends and family all the days of your life. If this is not your lot, may all the blessings find you in your solitude.” (And the commentary from those near the recording device as the concert ends is priceless.)

Really the entire show was sublime, and these thoughts only scratch the surface. I’m sure every one of the 2,400 people at the Orpheum that night could share as many or more thoughts about the show. I feel honored that he played in my hometown, and I am privileged that I got to see in person an artist I’ve loved for two decades.
March 24, 2013: Memphis
March 30, 2013: Louisville
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you Seldom Seen for posting your great concert report!
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”